• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK and Marine Ground

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
Hey guys-

I know there has been a lot if discussion about the implications of getting PRK and obtaining an aviation slot (this is airwarriors afterall), but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with PRK and Marine ground. I'll be going to school on a Marine Option NROTC Scholarship and I'm going ground.

Obviously 20/20 vision is not required for ground but is the investment still worth it solely for the convenience factor? Is there a waiver process or do they not care what you do since the vision standards aren't as stringent outside of aviation? What alternative types of vision correction seem to work best in the field?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Obviously 20/20 vision is not required for ground but is the investment still worth it solely for the convenience factor?

If you're going ground, why not wait until you're in the Marines and get it done for free? I know you probably want to be glass/contact free for TBS, but waiting a little bit can save you a chunk of change.

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
Will they pick up the tab if its not essential to what I'm doing? If so then great, unless there's a catch like a 6 year waiting list...:confused:

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Will they pick up the tab if its not essential to what I'm doing? If so then great, unless there's a catch like a 6 year waiting list...:confused:

They will. I know several people active duty both officer and enlisted who got it, some of who had to travel to San Diego to get it done, so you don't even need to be stationed in the immediate area.

One guy I know got it at Camp Pendleton (he's a CEC Officer, so not mission essential at all), because when the Marines deploy, they're practically looking for people to operate on. The trick is that there's post-op visits, so you won't be eligible to get it if you deploy in say, 3 months.

Hope that helped.

snake020

Contributor

Can't speak for the Marines, but if they're letting maintenance and paperpushing guys in the AF do it, I think you'll have no problem getting in.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
Hey guys-

Obviously 20/20 vision is not required for ground
but is the investment still worth it solely for the convenience factor? Is there a waiver process or do they not care what you do since the vision standards aren't as stringent outside of aviation? What alternative types of vision correction seem to work best in the field?

Just wanted to point out that this is not entirely true. If you want to go 0203 Ground Intel (platoon commander of a STA platoon with the possibility of going Force Recon or MARSOC) 20/20 is a requirement.

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
Mustang- you've got a point although I don't believe that will likely apply to me.

What do most folks without perfect vision do for TBS or otherwise in the field? Try not to wear glasses unless absolutely necessary? Live with the birth controls? I'm used to contact lenses and it seems that they as well as glasses would be a major hindrance in the field.