• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK and BDCP

Hi,
I'd like to start off by saying this is a great board and has helped me out tremendously.

I've been studying aviation at the University of North Dakota and I currently hold a private pilot certificate, soon to be commercial-multi-instrument at the end of the year. I'm applying for BDCP with aspirations to get into the Navy as an Aviator and I'm having a hard time making a decision.

I got my eyes checked at the university health building just to check acuity and I got 20/25 in the left, 20/30 in the right and 20/20 combined. Now this doesn't sound too bad but I really have to squint my right eye to see anything better than the 20/80 line. I know to be an aviator you need 20/40 uncorrected correctable to 20/20 and I feel like if I can't read that line without straining, it may inhibit my chances. My left eye isn't too bad but my right eye just plain sucks.

I've been considering PRK for some time and I heard that if you get it before entering, it's not only harder to get in, but requires a special waiver and may be worse than just having bad eyes. This aviator position is my dream and I'd do anything to get it so what I've been considering is less than ethical. If I got PRK and didn't say anything would they ever be able to find out? On the other hand, would I even have a chance with my eyes the way they are?

Thanks,
MT

exNavyOffRec

If you want to get PRK then you need to get it before you apply, it is not harder to get in after surgery if all the appointments are done and the documentation is complete.

The above being said BDCP is still on the books but they haven't selected any for a while, nor do they know when they will, they recently extended the direct accession time from 6 months to 1 year so BDCP is looking less likely to make selections anytime soon.