• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK after OCS prior to API/Primary

My son just completed week 5 at OCS. He had 20/40 reporting to Newport but tested 20/60 in left eye on 2 screenings. We did not consider PRK prior to OCS since no one informed us. He is waiting on a medical review board. Since he has limited Internet access, I am trying to inform him of his options if he doesn't get waiver. He would like to continue and get his commission. If he were to redesignate NFO, what are his chances of redesignating SNA at Pensacola provided he gets 20/40 during API. Any option to PRK before API, either thru Navy or civilian Dr. ? Thanks in advance.

There is a way to redesignate back to Pilot from NFO. It's a rare opportunity, and only a handful of people are selected for it each year. I don't know all of the specifics, but you will have to wing as an NFO, and complete your first tour. So from the time he commissions, it would be around 4-5 years before he could even apply. 1-2 years making it to the FRS level, then 3 years on the first tour. The kicker is that you have to apply by the time you're 27, waiverable to 29. When I thought I was going to redes to NFO, I read about this and had a glimmer of hope. However, I just turned 27... so no bueno for me. Another thing to consider, he would have to re-work his contract. I think from the time he winged as a Pilot, he would owe the Navy 8 years from that day. It would set him back in terms of career progression, and start him over in terms of re-enlistment bonuses, etc. I don't think it's necessarily a "career killer" move... but I believe I read that most NFO's, at the point of returning from their first tour, are pretty satisfied with their job at that point and are looking ahead rather than taking a step back for additional training.

Me personally, had I been age applicable, I would have gone for it. Plus it would be super badass to wear NFO and Aviator wings on your uniform!

As far as redesignation during API, that is a LONG shot... I don't see it happening. But, I know of one person that they gave a stash job (basically keeping busy while medically unqualified) to get eye surgery before she starts API. She was picked up as SNA and redesignated to NFO while at OCS. So she's sticking to NFO, but will have brand new eyes at API.

Edit: Also, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. Some of my info is just Ensign to Ensign jaw jacking over margaritas at Vallarta.

jjeppson

We will see what the board comes back with. I don't want to give my son any false hope. He could redesignate to NFO during OCS, but sounds like redesignating back to SNA during API is even a long shot. What letters are not on the chart? I may also suggest he request a retake exam at OCS. Crazy thing is that they are asking NFOs at OCS to consider SNA since so many (@50%) SNAs are being NPQ. Recruiter in Dallas told me Navy is having hard time filling SNA quotas.

We will see what the board comes back with. I don't want to give my son any false hope. He could redesignate to NFO during OCS, but sounds like redesignating back to SNA during API is even a long shot. What letters are not on the chart? I may also suggest he request a retake exam at OCS. Crazy thing is that they are asking NFOs at OCS to consider SNA since so many (@50%) SNAs are being NPQ. Recruiter in Dallas told me Navy is having hard time filling SNA quotas.

Hmm.. I can't remember which ones he told me. I'm pretty sure Y, G, and Q but there are more. Hopefully someone else can shed some light there, the military uses a specific kind of chart, the Snellen if I'm not mistaken (I very well could be). If I were him I would definitely request a re-test. I was able to re-test in my Candio phase, where you have the opportunity to be better hydrated and get some decent sleep. Two very important aspects of vision. That's surprising that they are offering SNA slots to the NFO selects. I think that recruiters need to be more aware of the possibilities of being NPQ'd for SNA due to vision. Most guys have a fairly long wait between first contact, putting together their package, waiting for board, being selected, getting final select letter/OCS date, and actually starting OCS. With LASIK being a possibility now, there is plenty of time to get your vision corrected prior to leaving and I don't think enough candidates know of that possibility. I sure didn't.

exNavyOffRec

With LASIK being a possibility now, there is plenty of time to get your vision corrected prior to leaving and I don't think enough candidates know of that possibility. I sure didn't.

LASIK still puts you TNPQ for 6 months just like PRK, rules are different for those who carry a card that says USN AD.

boostadikt

VFA-106
There is a way to redesignate back to Pilot from NFO. It's a rare opportunity, and only a handful of people are selected for it each year. I don't know all of the specifics, but you will have to wing as an NFO, and complete your first tour. So from the time he commissions, it would be around 4-5 years before he could even apply. 1-2 years making it to the FRS level, then 3 years on the first tour. The kicker is that you have to apply by the time you're 27, waiverable to 29. When I thought I was going to redes to NFO, I read about this and had a glimmer of hope. However, I just turned 27... so no bueno for me. Another thing to consider, he would have to re-work his contract. I think from the time he winged as a Pilot, he would owe the Navy 8 years from that day. It would set him back in terms of career progression, and start him over in terms of re-enlistment bonuses, etc. I don't think it's necessarily a "career killer" move... but I believe I read that most NFO's, at the point of returning from their first tour, are pretty satisfied with their job at that point and are looking ahead rather than taking a step back for additional training.

Me personally, had I been age applicable, I would have gone for it. Plus it would be super badass to wear NFO and Aviator wings on your uniform!

As far as redesignation during API, that is a LONG shot... I don't see it happening. But, I know of one person that they gave a stash job (basically keeping busy while medically unqualified) to get eye surgery before she starts API. She was picked up as SNA and redesignated to NFO while at OCS. So she's sticking to NFO, but will have brand new eyes at API.

Edit: Also, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. Some of my info is just Ensign to Ensign jaw jacking over margaritas at Vallarta.

I would say this is not entirely true I know of a few guys who were able to switch from NFO to Pilot during or after API. NFO's and Pilots are in the same boat till then, once you start primary as an NFO you can count on staying an NFO. The Navy is hurting for Pilots right now, that's why they want people to switch. The eyes are non negotiable, if your son can pass the eye exam at NAMI, and tries hard enough I'd say there is a pretty decent shot he can get re-des'd back to pilot. When I was in API guys were able to make it happen, they would know about the process, most of us don't.

jjeppson

I would say this is not entirely true I know of a few guys who were able to switch from NFO to Pilot during or after API. NFO's and Pilots are in the same boat till then, once you start primary as an NFO you can count on staying an NFO. The Navy is hurting for Pilots right now, that's why they want people to switch. The eyes are non negotiable, if your son can pass the eye exam at NAMI, and tries hard enough I'd say there is a pretty decent shot he can get re-des'd back to pilot. When I was in API guys were able to make it happen, they would know about the process, most of us don't.

Thanks, I will forward this on to him. Wish we had this info 6 months ago.