• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Privatization of ATC - a bad thing?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

jtmedli

pilot
Most everyone heard - POTUS proposes privatizing ATC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/us/politics/trump-privatize-air-traffic-control.html?_r=0

AOPA's very good response - https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/june/05/aopa-concerned-about-trumps-atc-plan?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social Media&utm_campaign=aopa-concerned-about-trumps-atc-plan&utm_content=News Article

Seems like a NAVCANADA style implementation would just be more expensive with little benefit.

The current funding model of fuel taxes seems to work - if we have to pay a user fee to fly - do you think this fuel taxes will be repealed?

I don't know much about the privatization of it but, in my mind, the ATC system is kind of the 'interstate system of the skies' and should therefore be funded and paid for by the government.

That being said, I'm reading into it to try to decide how much I support or oppose it. I guess I never really realized how or why this is a priority.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This would absolutely cripple GA. Besides AOPA's never-ending fight against this, I've seen HAI, GAMA, and a few others all stating how detrimental this will be...well, except the airlines, of course.

I guess I never really realized how or why this is a priority.

In large part because up until now, AOPA (and others) has been doing a very good job of fighting it. When they pulled Harrison Ford to D.C., it was a genius move, and he's done a lot to help.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Between that and ADS-B, there will be a more people squawking 1200 and talking to no one in IMC, more than there already are now.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Out of curiosity, what is it that the airlines would gain from this?
If you gotta pay every time you use IFR then the IFR system will be less crowded.

That and what Pickle said.

jtmedli

pilot
This would absolutely cripple GA. Besides AOPA's never-ending fight against this, I've seen HAI, GAMA, and a few others all stating how detrimental this will be...well, except the airlines, of course.

In large part because up until now, AOPA (and others) has been doing a very good job of fighting it. When they pulled Harrison Ford to D.C., it was a genius move, and he's done a lot to help.

The GA flyers I know already seem to be of the opinion that it's pretty well crippled already. But yeah, I don't see fuel taxes going anywhere so this is pretty much just added fees to fly which, in addition to ramp fees, fuel costs, maintenance, insurance, etc.., don't make doing it for the fun of it any easier. I mean, I make pretty good money and going out for a $100 hamburger still isn't all that realistic. Not unless there's a rating or some sort of means to an end coming from it for me as a professional aviator but then again that kind defeats the point doesn't it?

jtmedli

pilot
Out of curiosity, what is it that the airlines would gain from this?

What I'm getting out of it is that they get more direct routing which saves gas and lowers ticket prices. Don't quote me on that though. I'm still doing my research.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
For GA it's probably a bad thing. User fees, new equipment costs, etc that probably would not pay for themselves.

For the airlines and corporate world, the costs would be offset by more efficiencies in routing, fuel, time etc. I know Hawaiian is officially supporting this.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It could be good, it could be bad. The key is in implementation. President trump assures there will be protection for GA and small/rural airports, but in my mind, giving a large oligopoly (airlines) control of ATC (by means of their size, financial means, use volume and industry connections), is only going to serve to stifle GA, and make the cost of entry and cost of operation even larger, in an industry where half the cost of an airplane and associated insurance is litigation overhead, as it is.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Imagine if the entire DOT went private and you had to pay a toll on every road you traveled on. Certain companies had advantages with speed limits and HOV lanes, stop lights, etc... That's how I imagine the privatization of ATC would go.

"Sorry SwaneeXX, your airspace is closed, Delta paid for this approach so we're shutting down training in X MOA or Restricted area".