• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary

Braveheart92483

For those who want to get a head start on memorizing emergency procedures, these are the ones you need to learn for your CPT's and should be memorized as soon as you have time. I didn't have this list and could have used it a few weeks ago.

blidnfold cockpit check (know where most gauges, switches are, esp the major ones)
all the checklists (not memorized but VERY familiar)
abnormal starts
engine fire on the ground
aborted takeoff
emergency engine shutdown
abnormal itt during shutdown
prop feather (unknown cause)
HAPL
LAPL
engine fire in flight
engine failure over water/ditching
fuel control rollback
electrical/unknown origin fire
restoring electrical power
smoke or fume elimination
fluctuating oil pressure/temp
chip light
primary governor failure
engine driven or electric fuel boost pump failure
practice PEL
generator failure
inverter failure
torque sensing failure
bleed air warning light

Hope this helps somebody.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
For those who want to get a head start on memorizing emergency procedures, these are the ones you need to learn for your CPT's and should be memorized as soon as you have time. I didn't have this list and could have used it a few weeks ago.

blidnfold cockpit check (know where most gauges, switches are, esp the major ones)
all the checklists (not memorized but VERY familiar)
abnormal starts
engine fire on the ground
aborted takeoff
emergency engine shutdown
abnormal itt during shutdown
prop feather (unknown cause)
HAPL
LAPL
engine fire in flight
engine failure over water/ditching
fuel control rollback
electrical/unknown origin fire
restoring electrical power
smoke or fume elimination
fluctuating oil pressure/temp
chip light
primary governor failure
engine driven or electric fuel boost pump failure
practice PEL
generator failure
inverter failure
torque sensing failure
bleed air warning light

Hope this helps somebody.

Hey, thats pretty much every memorize EP for the T-34.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Yup. As stated many times, you are responsible for ALL memorize items when you show up for FAM-0. The CPT's are a great place to learn and practice.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
And Im guessing you learn all of what he said in the books?

When you check in up at Whiting, you will get your book issue with all the trash you need. Find your EP flip list. Remember everything in it. Thats about it.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I start with limits before EP's. I need to know the limit so I know when it is out of limits.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Except that doesn't always work in a T-34 (or a 60 transmission VID, for that matter).

Junior

pilot
Here's my .02 on EP's. The memory items are that way for a reason. The immediate action items may very well save your life someday. I just don't think you should have to study in order to pass a bold face quiz at a safety standdown. You should know that stuff every time you go flying. And you are getting paid to do it. I know I sound like a huge tool, but that is how I approach EP's.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I agree with junior about the obligation to know your CMI's , but as a side note that applies to most anything: if you aren't on fire or falling out of the sky, go ahead and take a moment to make sure you know what it is you are really doing. I've seen more pilots in real emergencies (let alone students on graded events) get into trouble from over-reacting than I've seen people save themselves by hair trigger reactions.

In the case of helicopters, that means that if Pa is still > than Preq, and you aren't on fire and your tail rotor/xmsn is still holding together, you probably have enought time to do it right the first time. I realize that isn't the point of this thread, but it is worth pointing out.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
When I flew EMS - for the three helicopter models that I maintained currency in - the OEI procedures where all identical - and the check airman made sure you just followed the comapny ops manual: "Fly, Identify, Throttle, Beep". This was the same whether I was in a BO-105 or a Sikorsky S-76. This big and basic approach saved your butt in a single pilot environment.

Junior

pilot
but as a side note that applies to most anything: if you aren't on fire or falling out of the sky, go ahead and take a moment to make sure you know what it is you are really doing.
Very good point. It's not how fast you can do things, but how effective.

MasterBates

Certain things, you MUST be FAST:
Loss of Tail Rotor Drive
Single engine off the boat.
LAPL-P
Stall recovery in the pattern *if you got it FOR REAL

Certain things you MUST do RIGHT:
Engine Fire (Confirm, don't shut off engine with UNCONFIRMED fire)
Out Of Control Flight

Certain things you are Just FVCKED if you get:
Main XMSN failure in helos (catastrophic failure)
Total AC Power failure in IMC (60B, T-34 anyways)