• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Premature passing of a legendary leader: CAPT "Turk" Green

amongclouds08

Hey all,

As posted in another thread, I'm currently applying for OCS and can't wait to join the fleet as a JO! My question here is to ask if anyone here remembers or has worked with CAPT John "Turk" Green USN (ret), was the Roosevelt CO from 03-05, also was aboard the USS Truman and USS Camden most recently. He's been my inspiration and a model for what I aspire to achieve as an Officer.

He is also my uncle, friend, and hero who passed away today after a long battle with cancer. I'm still in shock and I don't think it's totally hit me just yet, but I know that our family and friends have experience one hell of a great loss with his passing. God Bless CAPT "Turk" Green and all the lives he's touched, and the dedicated service he gave to our country.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Great American. He was the CO of TR when I first checked into VAQ-141 with CVW-8. I bought a t-shirt from the ships store with his words on it:

"TR Mission Statement: Kicking dirt ball, dirt bag Al Qaeda butt".

I also used to get a kick out of him when he would come on the 1MC, nearly every evening. He would say what he had to say and then remind the crew that he was STILL the happiest sailor in the Navy.

A real loss for Naval Aviation and the nation on whole.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A Happy Day in the life of "Turk"

thumb_031106-N-6266K-504.jpg

Nov. 6, 2003 -- Capt. Johnny "Turk" Green, Commanding Officer of USS Theodore Roosevelt, hits a golf ball out of the air craft carrier’s hanger bay during a golf clinic held by Titleist.

"Turk" wasn't necessarily "Old School" although he embodied many of the traits some would ascribe to that label. He was more than that as leader who transcended the generations and stood out amongst those who yielded to political correctness. Countless aviators wanted to serve under him based on reputation alone. Those lucky enough to have served under him or met him even in passing knew that Naval Aviation Leadership sure got it right keeping him around and putting him in the Captain's Chair on the TR.

Other tributes combined from other thread:

ACowboyinTexas said:
Captain Turk Green = Great American. He welcomed me aboard VFA-192 in Atsugi back in '96, but was on his way out. I met him a few other times on different ships after that. I've never come across a more admired and liked officer.

robav8r said:
Capt. Green was my first CO on the TR. I believe he transferred to NORTHCOM where he began a battle with cancer. And yes, he was a very respected CO and Officer . . .

Boxxer said:
I knew and worked with Turk while I was Commodore in Lemoore and he was CO of TR. A great American and a helluva nice guy.

thumb_020212-N-0012S-002.jpg

Feb. 12, 2002 -- Rear Adm. Steven Tomaszeski, Commander, Carrier Group Six, returns a salute to Capt. Ronald Henderson during an informal change of command ceremony held aboard USS John F. Kennedy. Capt. Henderson assumes command of the Kennedy after relieving Capt. Johnny "Turk" Green.

Fred

I am very sorry to hear this. He was a great guy, and has a wonderful wife. My condolences to your family.

Rina27

Capt. Turk Green

I was on the TR from 4/03-1/07 and I had the opportunity to serve under Capt. Green. He was a great person and CO and I am so fortunate to have served under him. I have been praying for him and his family since he left and found out he was sick. I know how sad I'm feeling so I can only imagine how you, and the rest of his family, feels. I am so sorry for your lost and I will keep you all in my prayers.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
I have many great memories of Turk especially when VFA-106 first stood up. On weather days, when many would sit around telling aviation related sea stories, Turk would come up with some wild yarn of his days as a sailor on the Presidential Yacht. A truely great American...Fair winds my friend.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
It was a great moment at Tailhook this year when Shortney Gortney got Turk on the phone just as the Flag panel kicked off. His voice came through strongly as he told the entire crowd we were still best bunch of SOB's in the world to be a part of.

I saw him often when he was COS at CNAL. Always warm, always genuine, always dedicated to the mission and the people.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw him often when he was COS at CNAL. Always warm, always genuine, always dedicated to the mission and the people.

Best COS I ever saw in CNAL spaces, bar none - he was an instictive leader whatever job he held. They broke the mold...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
More info on passing of "Turk"

Announcement of his passing

99-- It is with profound sadness that I pass along to you the death of CAPT Johnny "Turk" Green last night. As many of you know, his cancer returned in early May and despite numerous (and sometimes radical) attempts to beat it back, he ultimately succumbed to it last evening with his family by his side. He and Barb made the decision in early September to go on hospice care and try to enjoy the remaining time he had left, but I don't think anyone could have anticipated the speed at which the cancer would take him.

Beloved by all, he and Barb were celebrated two weeks ago in DC by hundreds in a crowd that included both ADMs Keating and Willard. [HJ Note - this included gathering of friendson Friday night, banquet on Saturday night and cruise on former Presidential Yacht Sequoia (special meaning to Turk as his first Navy assignment when enlisted was aboard her) ]. The presence of so many great Americans was a true to testament to an incredible aviator, officer, and man.

Please keep Barb and the Green family in your thoughts and prayers and I will pass along more information about services as I get it.

VR,
Proton

99, Many of you already have heard, but we wanted to make sure everyone heard sooner rather than later:

God published his Air Plan for Turk last night. Charlie Time in heaven of 1936, we are confident that he showed up behind the ship with a bag of knots, broke well before the stern and flew a rails pass to an OK (NC) 3 wire.

"Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, USS Theodore Roosevelt Arriving" and the angels rejoiced.

Lex Lefon posted the following well crafted remarks regarding Turk's legacy:

http://www.neptunuslex.com/2008/11/03/bbsob

http://www.neptunuslex.com/2008/11/03/bbsob/

Further information regarding services in the very near future.

Here is an update on the Green family. I just wanted to fill you in on the extraordinary way the Lord took Turk home.

Hospice was here with continual 24 hr care, and it was getting very hard on Barb to see the love of her life like this. Barb did a great job, however much it hurt. I don't know if I could do what she did. By Sun, it was very apparent that Turk was no longer Turk. Every night the nurses said it would probably be "tonight", but Turk's heart & lungs were too strong.

On Tues morning, our old pastor from Orange Park, Fl. drove down to visit with Barb. This man had meant a lot to the Green family and had a large impact on all of us. Kyle & Shannon were both here & we reminisced over great times. We prayed over Turk before both Shannon & Pastor Rod left each to their respective homes leaving just Barb, Kyle &
me. Of course, I was in the kitchen cooking up a storm. We settled back into our daily routine and both Barb & I were on the computer in the family room. About 7:25 pm - I had a strange urge to see Turk; I got up walked into Turk's room, sat down by him, and held his hand. A minute later - Barb followed. We just sat there holding his hands, talking about life. We both said how it looked as if Turk's soul was gone. This body was just a hollow shell. I then got close to his face - told him I loved him - that he was 2nd most important man in my life - & that I was going to go open a GREAT bottle of wine & have a glass for him - I reminded him that it was Barb's birthday on Friday and that it was time for him to go. I gave him a squeeze & a kiss & left the room. Barb stayed behind holding his hand, talking to him & 2 minutes later, he was gone. It was so special for her to be there at that last moment - holding his hand.

There will be two memorial services - one in Fl., Friday, 11 am, November 7th at:

First Baptist Church Tequesta, FL.

423 Tequesta Dr. (561 746-4447 church office).

There will be another in Springfield, Mo. (time & place to follow). Barb is requesting that in lieu of flowers, donation be made to either the:

University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute and note in the memo line ESOPHAGEAL CANCER RESEARCH - in honor of John Green & send to:

UPCI Development Department

UPMC Cancer Pavilion, Suite 1B

5150 Centre Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15232

OR

Treasure Coast Hospice (Who took such wonderful care of both
Turk & Barb
1201 SE Indian St.
Stuart, Fl. 34997
Note in the memo line - in honor of John Green

It has been an honor to be here with John & Barb in these trying and difficult times. I know Barb & John treasured their time with each of you at the DC reunion. Not many people get to see the impact they leave on this world. It was truly a blessing for Turk to be surrounded by those who loved him. He not only inspired and motivated so many but all of us are have been enriched by his touch.

HJ Note: A perpetual scholarship in his name has already been established through the Tailhook Association:

CAPT JOHNNY L. “TURK” GREEN
LIVING SCHOLARSHIP

Sponsored by NorAD/NorthCom
with Friends and Family
Turk enlisted in the Navy in 1970, earned his
degree, his Wings of Gold and went on to command
VFA-192, Camden (AOE-2), John F. Kennedy
(CV-67) and Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71).

FlyingGator

Just read that he died… CAPT Turk was my mother’s CO on the JFK. She acted as his operations aide while serving as a group intel officer. Sorry for your loss.