• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pre-PRK exam

C130_girl

C130 girl
I am an SNA applicant with bad eyes. Therefore I need to get PRK done to apply. The question I have is before I get the surgery done, do I need a Navy eye doctor to examine my eyes? I asked my recruiter this via email and he wrote back

"Unfortunately I can’t set you up with an appointment, due to the fact that we can’t promote PRK eye surgery. If something would go wrong with the surgery or you were not selected for the program that you are applying for it will not come back on the Navy. If you read what I sent you it has to be at your own cost and liability. Any doctor should be able to read what I sent you and determine if you are within limits."

Is this correct? I would hate to have the surgery done only to discover that I needed to be OKed by the Navy as an applicant.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
Your OSO is correct. Go to any civilian eye doctor where you can get a consultation and bring the paperwork your recruiter gave you. The doctor will say whether you qualify for surgery or not and what chances you have of your eyes not healing to within Navy standards (will normally be very small ~ 1%). After the consult, talk to your OSO and the final decision will be yours. After surgery you will need to apply for a waiver (your recruiter will know how to do this)

Spence

I have PRK next Thursday. My recruiter never gave me any paperwork to bring. I just assumed that I can get copies of all the paperwork from pre through post op. However, I did print out the refractive surgery consent form from the NOMI Web site. What other paperwork do I need?

MotoZuki

Spence,

Good luck next week. I've got PRK on Friday 3/23. Let us know how yours goes.

As far as I can tell, pre-operatively, you need to make sure the doc's detailed notes include refractive error measurements under cycloplegia (must be within -8.00 to +3.00). Also, he must annotate your anisometropia (this must not exceed 3.50 diopters for each eye).

The above info was taken from the NAMI Waiver Guide for Opthalmology (section 12.15).

Moto