• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pre-OCS PRT suspended?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
yeah this was my thinking. So I'll clear it with my OR next week when I check in and I'll go from there, but I can't see where it'd be a big deal seeing as I'm IN the Navy and all.

If anybody hasn't checked into it, I think it's worth a shot, even if its ROTC like I'm doing and not NROTC, the Army recruits (is that what they call their midshipmen?) work just as hard, at least on my campus.

They're called cadets, and I have a whole host of other colorful names for them as well. . .

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Not a ROTC fan huh?

On the whole, I'm sure it's a great program. As a platoon sergeant, I didn't have great luck with some of the cadets or newly commissioned 2LTs. It's just one of those things where your mileage will vary widely depending on who you talk to. Some great military leaders have come from ROTC, as I'm sure some of the more lackluster leaders have as well. FWIW, I don't think it's really any better or worse than other commissioning source.

nfortner

I can absolutely assure you that THIS will happen. But please don't be that guy or girl, I personally think it ridiculous and sad that people show up to MILITARY TRAINING and can't even muster out a the minimum pushups/situps or pass the run. There were people there who couldn't even do 2 pushups when they arrived and thats no exaggeration.

I think getting rid of the Pre-OCS PRT is a bad idea, but hey what do I know.....just don't let that make you get complacent. You do NOT want to show up the first week not able to pass the minimums. Like I said I saw it happen multiple times and that person did not have an easy time from that point forward.

Couldn't do 2 proper push-ups? Hell, I thought I was less-than-ideal right now, at least I can get close to the 40, and I still have a couple months left to squeeze the rest out. And that's without the, ahem, motivating ability of a Marine DI.

As for no PRT due to injuries being sustained at recruiting districts, I've heard that too.

jtmedli

pilot
Couldn't do 2 proper push-ups? Hell, I thought I was less-than-ideal right now, at least I can get close to the 40, and I still have a couple months left to squeeze the rest out. And that's without the, ahem, motivating ability of a Marine DI.

As for no PRT due to injuries being sustained at recruiting districts, I've heard that too.

Not doing 2 pushups is bad...real bad. Like retarded bad. As in: "Go home and try again" bad.

40 is an easy day at OCS. I think we usually did 4o pushups before we even left the house for PT in the mornings. Those 0500 Pre-PT beatings are special. They smoke you inside and then they take you outside and smoke you...and then PT starts. My advice: Be able to do 80+ before checking in. Max-ing out those pushups and crunches are your money-makers on the PRT because there's no reason not to and you don't want to be that guy who has to run his ass off because he only did 50 pushups. Do yourself a favor and make the run (the longest part of the PRT) the easiest part for you.

nfortner

Not doing 2 pushups is bad...real bad. Like retarded bad. As in: "Go home and try again" bad.

40 is an easy day at OCS. I think we usually did 4o pushups before we even left the house for PT in the mornings. Those 0500 Pre-PT beatings are special. They smoke you inside and then they take you outside and smoke you...and then PT starts. My advice: Be able to do 80+ before checking in. Max-ing out those pushups and crunches are your money-makers on the PRT because there's no reason not to and you don't want to be that guy who has to run his ass off because he only did 50 pushups. Do yourself a favor and make the run (the longest part of the PRT) the easiest part for you.

Yeah, I've heard that the push-ups/curl-ups should be the gimmes. I have the run times down, well below the entry requirements for my age bracket, so the strength training is what I'm going to be concentrating on for the next few months anyway.

I'm just floored at the thought of someone showing up to OCS and being able to only knock out 2.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
It happens more than you think.....and I hate to say it, but moreso with the Nuke guys. At least thats what I found when I went. Many of the Nuke candidates were the ones who weren't passing the requirements. Sometimes it was the girls too, but moreso guys than anything. If you're on INDOC staff as a candio, you'll see it.

BackOrdered

Contributor
^It's no secret, if you observe some Nukes with no PT aptitude, you notice they roll magically forever and ever (as if they just can't "get it") and finish OCS after GYSGT Neverrptstheshitoutofu returns from leave. That or they end up the class heat shield, but never the victim of GYSGT Rhabdoisgodtellingmetostop's class and graduates. Either way, the Navy made its mark for Nukes in the fleet. Once you look back at OCS objectively, the Black Ninja's quote rings true:

"EVERYTHING at OCS happens for a reason."

shutout39

pilot
This would be a good question for NavyOffRec, if you see this: is the pre-OCS PFA reinstated Nationally? My understanding was that is was still not required, but was up to the NRD to decide if they wanted to do it. The reason I ask is other OCs from my March 4th class are doing theirs or have done theirs, whereas OCs from my NRD haven't heard anything.

exNavyOffRec

This would be a good question for NavyOffRec, if you see this: is the pre-OCS PFA reinstated Nationally? My understanding was that is was still not required, but was up to the NRD to decide if they wanted to do it. The reason I ask is other OCs from my March 4th class are doing theirs or have done theirs, whereas OCs from my NRD haven't heard anything.
The guidance from NRC is DA candidates are not to do the PRT, they can do height and weight only, there is some confusion because on the enlisted side they can do structured PT, god help any OR/NRD that gets a DA officer candidate injured during a PRT.

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
The guidance from NRC is DA candidates are not to do the PRT, they can do height and weight only, there is some confusion because on the enlisted side they can do structured PT, god help any OR/NRD that gets a DA officer candidate injured during a PRT.

When would they do height and weight?

shutout39

pilot
It is supposed to be no more than 30 days and no less than 14 days from reporting to OCS.
So why are some ORs giving PRT tests to civilian OCs? Is it because they are misinformed or because they just want to make sure their candidate is in good shape prior to arriving and this is one way to make sure?

exNavyOffRec

So why are some ORs giving PRT tests to civilian OCs? Is it because they are misinformed or because they just want to make sure their candidate is in good shape prior to arriving and this is one way to make sure?
It is probably because they blew off the DCO session and have deleted emails from NRC, I am not risking my career because I am too lazy to read emails.