• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PR Problems?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
You know something I have to say the Military and the Navy espicaly does not seem to be getting any luck lately. As one of my friends put it it all most seems like it is the disaster of the week. I know that a sub accident, a bombing acident, and getting run into by a fighter have nothing to do with each other. But what is going on hear??

Kyle McWhirter

I hear ya on this one. If nothing else, it gave my family some ammo to shoot at me as to why I should not join the Navy. From a civilian perspective, they only see what is shown in the papers and TV. Right now it seems to be Navy leading according to the fam.

Ed Williams

You gotta figure that the military and the Navy have been going through some tough PR times, but hey, it has to get better!
ed

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, the Navy is actually out there doing stuff around the world. With that kind of operational tempo, things are bound to happen. The fact that you see all this stuff in the media only proves that we are earning our paychecks.

--Steve Wilkins

beau

Thats a funny way to put it sir. I hate the fact that people in the U.S. are blaming us for this P-3 mishap. The Chinese story is very very fishy. I hate to say it, but the military's most dangerous enemy is not China or any other country, but the people its made to protect. We are the ones which voice the opinion that will destroy us. At least the media and the (ex)President try to control our thoughts. I just hope patriotism still exsits when my grandchildren are raised.
Along the lines of PR. It seems the only time the Navy gets good PR is when we become another proving ground for Political Correctness (no offense, it's just the truth). Or to prove that the military is wasting money on projects(ospery). It's almost always negitive if you think about it.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Kyle McWhirter

I will give the Navy credit for reaching out to the young demographic (I am using my future degree in marketing here. Who would have thought it would apply in the military?). They allowed MTV to shoot an episode of Road Rules and they also sponsored TBS' War Games last week. Seems as though they are targeting the MTV generation big time for recruits.

Kyle McWhirter

One final thought before bed...

We have a class called "Nonviolence" at St. Bonaventure. Basically some hippie preaching about Ghandi and how the military is bad. I don't take the class (although it would be interesting to give him a military perspective) however, friends say that he has been on his soap box lately especially about the EP-3 incident. Just goes to show you that we can't blame everything on the media...it comes from the classrooms too. Boy would I like to sit on his class for a day!

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
It is interesting how most people view the military today. I would have to say that most of the time uless we are war the military only gets in the press if they do something wrong. Its interesting the reaction i get when i tell people i going into the navy to be a pilot. its usaly either "Wow that so cool" or "that nice but why are you joining the military?". Also as for this guy who preaches non-violence thats all well and good but sometimes you just have to kick some butt!! History has shown us that if nothing else more often then not you have to stand up to a bully to stop him.

Ed Williams

People like that just bother me. Most out there don't realize that freedom is not free and sometimes it takes violent action to preserve what we have. People don't realize that we are willing to give our lives to protect their way of life. what can you do!
ed

Kyle McWhirter

It's all about the first code of conduct...say it with me now for practice...haha. Ed, could you be talking about your girlfriend's roommate? I think you just might be! God bless her ignorant heart! I am on a roll today. Maybe this would be a god day to sit in on "Nonviolence".

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It's always interesting to note that throughout history more people have fought and died in the name of "God," then any other reason. To all you wannabes and any other interested party, the military has never started a war. Politicians vote on policy, the military implements that policy. Eventhough that seems obvious, people ALWAYS forget that point. This will not be the last time people will look at you with both admiration and contempt. Hold your heads high and be proud of your beliefs and dreams and never comment on policy. People will be forced to respect you and will not dwell on the policy you are sworn to enforce and how it relates to you. For those who show admiration, embrace. Those who show you contempt, embrace equally. Learn to appreciate both sides because your oath of office swears you to protect those who love you and those who hate you.
Semper Fi! Frumby

P.S. Now that I'm a part time civilain, I can say this. I say we go in and drop a couple of "Rock-Eyes" on the EP-3 and then apologize for violating their sovreign airspace and offer to pay for damages incurred. Of course that's completely reactionary and doesn't take the crew into account but thats the civilian in me tallking. God Bless the "Double Dozen" who are being held hostage.

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

nickou23

Frumby brings up a very good point. As unpopular as it is in this forum, and as much as even I may disagree with a purely nonviolent perspective (for reality's sake), it takes all kinds. We are, or will be just as obligated to defend freedoms and liberties that are utilized in contempt of us (as military or soon to be anyway), as those would praise us. But then I don't think that is the entirely responsibility of the military, but of all American citizens.
Perhaps I'm being preachy, perhaps those were runon sentances (hey I'm no english major), but thats what I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.