• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Powell Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
He's not really "resigning at a time like this." He's made it pretty clear for over a year that he'd most likely not return, should President Bush return for another term. It's been at least that long since the president has followed his advice on anything, so there's really no point for him to be there when he could do more good in the private sector.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Gen. Powell disagreed with Pres. Bush about Iraq...He didn't want to send them but towed the line his boss put out. He's not leaving in a time of turmoil because the kitchen got too hot. I honestly think that he was at odds with the administration on all fronts and didn't want to do it anymore. I can see that. I couldn't imagine having my opinion shut out even though I have been through a few military conflicts not to mention was the former Chairman of the JCOS. Oh well. I just hope that whoever replaces Gen. Powell will be as level headed and calm as he was.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
vegita1220 said:
I think I'd like Giuliani as prez...

I wouldn't be surprised. I saw an interview where somebody asked him point blank "Would you step in as VP if Chaney were to resign?" (the whole medical thing was going on at the time) his response was that he wasn't oppossed to it but that he wanted to take a break... yeah like 3 years before making a run.

I'd vote for him.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
goplay234 said:
I honestly think that he was at odds with the administration on all fronts and didn't want to do it anymore.
Oy vay!
Lonestar155 said:
Ya i agree goplay. Good point.
Ay covalt!!!

Come on guys. He was a good leader and a good Sec. of State. He did his bit and is retiring when he said he would. He was not a persecuted saint or a neglected advisor. He did the job of Sec. of State and just becasue he didn't act as clandestine as Kissinger (because Nixon was a xenophobe and paranoid, don't get me wrong I liked Nixon but he was sketchy about these things) doesn't mean that the administration disliked him. He did a damn good job and the adminstration did well also.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Cate said:
Yes, of course, for State, I understand. But the rumors I was talking about discussed Condoleeza Rice for Secretary of Defense. Has anyone else heard similar whispers, and if so, can they be explained?

Sorry bout that, for some reason I thought I read State. Nope, haven't heard those rumors. I haven't even heard if Rumsfeld was retiring. Rice is pretty much set as State: http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=254647. Where'd you hear/read she was replacing Rumsfeld?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Rice has a strong background in Russian stuff (I'm too tired to think of a more appropriate way to say that) so maybe it might be a good thing considering the situation going on in the ussr...er...I mean russia. I would think that it would be wise to have strong US-Russian relations especially at the present time. Maybe her background might make this possible?? Just a late-night thought

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Slammer2: That's a very good point. She is also very strong in security and asset assement so she'd probably do very well at the negotiating table. You know cut throught the BS and what not. On the other side she is female and other countries are not as "enlightened" on this point as westerners. So she does have a few strikes against her, but I think she would do an EXCELLENT job.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Until yesterday, Miss Rice was often mentioned as a replacement for Mr. Rumsfeld in the event of his resignation.
This from the Washington Times. I read something very similar by AP.

Looks like she's got the State job now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.