• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Posting articles on AW - read and heed

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Folks,

I guess we've never really covered the proper form for posting articles on AW, so I want to take the time now to cover the basics. First, don't post the entire article in your thread. It takes up 0's and 1's (i.e. data --> bandwidth) that has to be stored (and payed for) by Webmaster's server. Also, there is rarely the need to post the whole thing since it can be linked quite easily directly in the thread. If people are that interested in the piece, they'll click the link and then read it on the source's own website (and therefore, using their bandwidth :icon_smil ). The other reason (and more important one at that) is legal in nature. Webmaster can be held liable for people posting copyrighted material on the website. To avoid this kind of problem, only post the first two to three paragraphs of the news article (or other) that you are commenting on and/or wish others to comment on. Additionally, it's good etiquette to include the title of the article along with the date it was published.

For example:

From: http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,76349,00.html
Navy Sending Ships to Gulf Coast
Associated Press | August 31, 2005

WASHINGTON - The Navy is sending four ships to the Gulf Coast with water and other supplies for those hit by Hurricane Katrina, but officials are urging service members not to try to return to their military bases in New Orleans.

Navy bases in Gulfport, Miss., and New Orleans were evacuated and suffered heavy flooding and wind damage. Officials are gearing up to fly over the bases to get a detailed assessment of the damage.

I'm growing tired of editing posts/threads that publish the entire article on AW. Throw me a bone...help me out on this.