• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post Shore Tour Advice

x2049

Hello, I'm looking for some guidance to plan a few moves ahead in my career. Here's the details:

I'm an NFO. I've just left my shore tour and checked into Test Pilot School. I currently have 11 years TIS (joined in 2007, break in service for school). By accepting TPS, I agree not to tender resignation from AD for at least 4 years after graduation (so basically 5 years from now). And I must serve a minimum 24 month tour (typically 36 month) as a follow-on tour in a devtest squadron.

I don't know what to do after. I'm fine staying on AD even through my 20 year mark, but what's weighing on me heavily is my family, or lack thereof. I need to stop taking jobs which run me into the ground and focus on my home/dating life a bit.

I have zero interest in being a DH because the bonus is not worth it, and I saw how my DHs got used and abused. Similarly zero interest in making command and following any golden path.

What happens if I make O-4 but decline DH? What billets will I be able to take? I would ideally like to take a job in the Pentagon or some other office in DC, where I can stay on AD, but live in a real city instead of military town.

Also considering SELRES, but not sure if they'll take a guy with 16 years in. Also I'd still have to do some sort of disassociated first. This would allow me to also kickstart a civilian career with the TPS background.

Open to lat transferring too, but I'm not sure which communities will help me reach my goals. AEDO is a natural progression, but that's going to be more of the same, unless I can do it as a reservist.

To be clear, my goals hereon out are location location location. I'm wrapping up my military career and I'm looking to establish a life somewhere. I'm open to anything.

Thank you.

Last edited:

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello, I'm looking for some guidance to plan a few moves ahead in my career. Here's the details:

I'm an NFO. I've just left my shore tour and checked into Test Pilot School. I currently have 11 years TIS (joined in 2007, break in service for school). By accepting TPS, I agree not to tender resignation from AD for at least 4 years after graduation (so basically 5 years from now). And I must serve a minimum 24 month tour (typically 36 month) as a follow-on tour in a devtest squadron.

I don't know what to do after. I'm fine staying on AD even through my 20 year mark, but what's weighing on me heavily is my family, or lack thereof. I need to stop taking jobs which run me into the ground and focus on my home/dating life a bit.

I have zero interest in being a DH because the bonus is not worth it, and I saw how my DHs got used and abused. Similarly zero interest in making command and following any golden path.

What happens if I make O-4 but decline DH? What billets will I be able to take? I would ideally like to take a job in the Pentagon or some other office in DC, where I can stay on AD, but live in a real city instead of military town.

Also considering SELRES, but not sure if they'll take a guy with 16 years in. Also I'd still have to do some sort of disassociated first. This would allow me to also kickstart a civilian career with the TPS background.

Open to lat transferring too, but I'm not sure which communities will help me reach my goals. AEDO is a natural progression, but that's going to be more of the same, unless I can do it as a reservist.

To be clear, my goals hereon out are location location location. I'm wrapping up my military career and I'm looking to establish a life somewhere. I'm open to anything.

Thank you.
You‘re going to owe a sea tour regardless and what that looks like depends on your community. My last tour after DH was sea and got downgraded to non post DH and was filled by an O4 who was up for sea duty and had declined DH. So basically could be a lot of random shit, maybe a good deal, maybe a shit deal, will just depend on what your detailer offers. In the case of my job, I considered it a shit deal, but my relief really wanted to go overseas, so all in the eye of the beholder.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Just about every TPS grad I know went AEDO and seemed to love it. Opens the door to interesting work and different duty stations.

EDIT especially if you're coming from P-8s. High growth community with lots of good work.

x2049

Thanks all!

Just looking at the AEDO community brief, it looks like most of the jobs are here at Pax River, but there are a good chunk in DC as well, which I was not aware of. I'd love to go that path.

Do AEDOs still have milestones like DH? Disassociated tour? How does that work?

taxi1

pilot
I've known a number of officers who have gone to the reserves post-Pax River, with 13-17 years of service in the bag. They either were already AEDOs, or became one in the reserves. Easy to get to 20 good years, opportunities to get to 28-30 years. Big downside is having to chill out until 60 to collect the retirement, but it will be a nice check.
I would ideally like to take a job in the Pentagon or some other office in DC, where I can stay on AD, but live in a real city instead of military town.
AEDO...potentially hello, China Lake!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I would ideally like to take a job in the Pentagon or some other office in DC, where I can stay on AD, but live in a real city instead of military town.
First and foremost, I genuinely hope you get what you are looking for…but the Pentagon sucks. Seriously, it sucks. I just retired from federal service as a civilian and no one I knew who worked in an office there liked it. I even hated visiting the place! It is kind of soul sucking. The navy used to have some nice office spots in Crystal City. (maybe still do) but a lot of the office stuff is getting moved to “joint” bases like Anacostia-Bowling and Belvoir. I was never a fan of DC but to each their own! I wish you the best!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Thanks all!

Just looking at the AEDO community brief, it looks like most of the jobs are here at Pax River, but there are a good chunk in DC as well, which I was not aware of. I'd love to go that path.

Do AEDOs still have milestones like DH? Disassociated tour? How does that work?

There is a "golden path", but it does not involve being a DH in the sense you're thinking about. AEDO, as a community, seems to be much more oriented toward (gasp) aligning talent with jobs. Being a smaller community, it has a much more personal feel, according to AEDO friends I have asked about it. You have the ability to map out your career ahead of time a bit better than in the Fleet.

I considered that path myself, but the bonus and my relative seniority at application were working against me. The community manager basically told me "no chance, paddles", when I asked about applying to redes after DH.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The benefits of AEDO (and ACQ Professional URL - pre and post command SYSCOM work) is you develop a biz acumen while still active duty.

Test (DT or OT) is a good entry point. Another is Systems Engineering jobs aka “class desks.” AMDOs get some exposure being Contractor Officer Representatives (COR) for their with contracted maintenance biz.

There are career milestones in AEDO, but most about having the requisite experience in a broad mix of engineering, program management and logistics in order to ultimately qualify for a major program management O6 gig if one is keen to go that path. You’re once in the AEDO path or AP URL path, you’re off the standard aviation career path as your pals in the fleet.

Having done both, I will tell you it really depends on what you want to do in the long term.

There is life past the Navy. A lot of civ jobs care less if you commanded a squadron or boat. They have no idea what that means.

AEDO plays well post DOD if one is interested in furthering a career in defense or defense tech industry.

x2049

First and foremost, I genuinely hope you get what you are looking for…but the Pentagon sucks. Seriously, it sucks.
Yeah, I have a few friends there now in various jobs. Seems like it has its ups and downs. It's ok. I've had jobs in the past that sucked, AND I was in a military town. I can suck it up for a little bit.
There is a "golden path", but it does not involve being a DH in the sense you're thinking about. AEDO, as a community, seems to be much more oriented toward (gasp) aligning talent with jobs. Being a smaller community, it has a much more personal feel, according to AEDO friends I have asked about it. You have the ability to map out your career ahead of time a bit better than in the Fleet.

I considered that path myself, but the bonus and my relative seniority at application were working against me. The community manager basically told me "no chance, paddles", when I asked about applying to redes after DH.
The DH bonus for a P-8 NFO is a slap in the face. I respect myself enough not to take it. I just can't stomach the idea of a 5 year commitment and getting shit on for a few years for an amount that I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning for.
The benefits of AEDO (and ACQ Professional URL - pre and post command SYSCOM work) is you develop a biz acumen while still active duty.

Test (DT or OT) is a good entry point. Another is Systems Engineering jobs aka “class desks.” AMDOs get some exposure being Contractor Officer Representatives (COR) for their with contracted maintenance biz.

There are career milestones in AEDO, but most about having the requisite experience in a broad mix of engineering, program management and logistics in order to ultimately qualify for a major program management O6 gig if one is keen to go that path. You’re once in the AEDO path or AP URL path, you’re off the standard aviation career path as your pals in the fleet.

Having done both, I will tell you it really depends on what you want to do in the long term.

There is life past the Navy. A lot of civ jobs care less if you commanded a squadron or boat. They have no idea what that means.

AEDO plays well post DOD if one is interested in furthering a career in defense or defense tech industry.
This sounds like music to my ears. I definitely want a smooth transition to civilian life. Might even move to SELRES at some point instead of finishing my 20 on AD to kickstart my civilian career.

Thanks again!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
This sounds like music to my ears. I definitely want a smooth transition to civilian life. Might even move to SELRES at some point instead of finishing my 20 on AD to kickstart my civilian career.

Thanks again!

That's what I did. Reach out via the forum or PM me if you want any advice. Best of luck!

robav8r

None
Contributor
First and foremost, I genuinely hope you get what you are looking for…but the Pentagon sucks. Seriously, it sucks. I just retired from federal service as a civilian and no one I knew who worked in an office there liked it. I even hated visiting the place! It is kind of soul sucking. The navy used to have some nice office spots in Crystal City. (maybe still do) but a lot of the office stuff is getting moved to “joint” bases like Anacostia-Bowling and Belvoir. I was never a fan of DC but to each their own! I wish you the best!
This 👆👆👆. Consider all locations inside of 495 like Snake Plissken considered New York city - stay out !!!

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
There is a "golden path"
The community is moving away from this in favor or more tour diversity (Fleet Support & Production, Test, and Program Management). All that to say, AEDO is very much a choose your own adventure.
I can offer up my experiences as well having lat transferred (later than most) in the community just over 2 years ago.