• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post-NPQ advice

RegaDega

All,

I am looking for advice on what to do after I was just considered NPQ'd by NAMI.

To explain, I had high blood pressure during my first NAMI visit in May 2022. I don't have a history of hypertension, and neither does anyone in my family. Since then, flight doctors have guided me through getting a waiver, and I have documentation showing my BP has been normal since JUL. Passed my flight physical in OCT, and had my waiver submitted in late NOV. I hear back last week from NAMI that my waiver was not recommended, because I am still considered an "applicant" in the pipeline (i.e. not actively in control of an aircraft or training). My flight doc was just as taken aback as I was, as he, in his own words, considered me a "perfect candidate" for the waiver.

Right now, my top picks for redes are Intel, Crypto, and AMDO; honestly, anything but SWO. However, I am also interested to see if I can do an inter-service transfer to either Air Force or Army. I originally wanted to fly for the AF and did the AFOQT and TBAS, but I had an awful experience with recruiters, and realized I needed my PPL ( which I didn't earn until after I was accepted into Navy OCS) to be competitive. I heard AF suspended transfers a few years back, but I'm interested to see if going Army warrant is also a possibility. I actually tried applying to them as a backup if I didn't make my OCS board, so I already took the ASVAB and SIFT (the latter with a super competitive score!).

With that said, what are my chances of being transferred to the Air Force or Army, and flying for them, while having an NPQ from naval aviation? I would do anything to be a part of aviation, but I know deep down that I love flying itself. If flying for another service is unlikely, I'll stay in the service long enough to qualify for the GI bill, and use it to pay for furthering my civvy flight training.

TL;DR: Got the NAMI Whammy for ridiculous reasons, looking to fly USAF or Army. What are my chances with an NPQ?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to be associated with Naval Aviation, I would strongly consider going Intel or AMDO. Crypto will take you to some far away places, including CRUDES surface ships.

If your are not qualified for Naval Aviation, I doubt you would be PQ for aviation in the other services. You'd have to look at their physical standards.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
To add what @ea6bflyr , unless you came from ROTC or the Academy, the Air Force offers little to zero aviation spots - since most go to those two accession sources. They have plenty of aviation candidates as is.

You CAN try Army, but same thing odds are you will be medically DQ'd to fly. Additionally, even if you are PQ, you may not be allowed to go and expected to serve your new obligation, if you do POCR to one.