• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Possible Newbie forum functions?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I know AW prides itself on its freedom of information and openness of the community (jokes aside), but with the regular sinusoidal influx of newbies joining and the subsequent posts of completely trite subject matter which has been discussed ad nauseum on AW (smilies in effect) I had an idea to better solve this problem than filling up bandwidth with flamings and countless posts telling them to use the search function.

I've seen forums which have a restriction on newbies which does not allow the newbie to post either in certain forums, or anywhere for a certain amount of time (a couple days, couple weeks whatever) and has certain threads shown upon login which are "required reading" for the newbie. I think that with some of the better stickies about basic subjects that the newbie would be searching for (commissioning paths and the associated application processes, ASTB gouge, MEPS, physical quals for aviation, whatever/etc etc) being posted on the newbie's front page would allow them to have to search these threads and find the information they seek first and after the allotted time (whatever it may be: couple days) the newbie would be in a much better position to ask a question with a more informed background on the subject. Instead of the trite old questions, it would likely be more specific and unanswered as of yet.

This may be too restricting and maybe for old-timers who are retired could bypass this restriction when they request their wings.

Perhaps upon joining, the application could inform the applicant if they are an aviator current or retired to request the wings etc and they could bypass this.

Dumb idea or not, I thought I'd add this idea (if it hasn't already been discussed) and perhaps this could save some time, bandwidth and frustration from sifting through countless repeat-threads.

My 0.02

Josh

P.S. Just to clarify, I include myself in this group of pesky newbies. Whatever thought came into my head, when I first joined up, became a thread....NOT GOOD.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Something that would prevent studs in primary from giving selection advice to people 3 weeks behind them?

:)

I know AW prides itself on its freedom of information and openness of the community (jokes aside), but with the regular sinusoidal influx of newbies joining and the subsequent posts of completely trite subject matter which has been discussed ad nauseum on AW (smilies in effect) I had an idea to better solve this problem than filling up bandwidth with flamings and countless posts telling them to use the search function.

I've seen forums which have a restriction on newbies which does not allow the newbie to post either in certain forums, or anywhere for a certain amount of time (a couple days, couple weeks whatever) and has certain threads shown upon login which are "required reading" for the newbie. I think that with some of the better stickies about basic subjects that the newbie would be searching for (commissioning paths and the associated application processes, ASTB gouge, MEPS, physical quals for aviation, whatever/etc etc) being posted on the newbie's front page would allow them to have to search these threads and find the information they seek first and after the allotted time (whatever it may be: couple days) the newbie would be in a much better position to ask a question with a more informed background on the subject. Instead of the trite old questions, it would likely be more specific and unanswered as of yet.

This may be too restricting and maybe for old-timers who are retired could bypass this restriction when they request their wings.

Perhaps upon joining, the application could inform the applicant if they are an aviator current or retired to request the wings etc and they could bypass this.

Dumb idea or not, I thought I'd add this idea (if it hasn't already been discussed) and perhaps this could save some time, bandwidth and frustration from sifting through countless repeat-threads.

My 0.02

Josh

P.S. Just to clarify, I include myself in this group of pesky newbies. Whatever thought came into my head, when I first joined up, became a thread....NOT GOOD.

Sounds like a good idea, it would keep the flow of information streamlined and organized.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
We debated this once before, and I believe it was a good idea in theory, but ultimately rejected for reasons Pags suggested.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I think its fine the way it is, Not all people who access this site want to be/are NAs. Some people access ASTB stuff or some people just want gouge info and aren't really intrested in posting. I am not a big fan of "required reading", sometimes its good, sometimes its rediculous. I don't think this website needs it too.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Well, I have seen many "newbie" posts that are better than posts from folks who have been around for a while. Reading some of the "newbie" posts, it would be a darn shame to turn them away.

Forum Mods/Admin do a super job keeping trolls under control. Kudos all around.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Josh, thanks for taking the time to make this post. This is one topic I have thought about quite a bit over the years. For those of you that have been on the website for a while, you can see the ebb and flow of each college graduation, SNAs/SNFOs reporting to flight training, and the new batch of college students/MIDN checking the site out. A cyclical process, no? Well, as you mentioned, you will continue to get the same questions asked again and again, there is NO avoiding it. Nor do I wish to impede it. Training changes, IFS wasn't around when I went through (full blown version), other portions of training have similarly changed. The bubba with questions about whats currently going on in the A pool and API is best answered by the stud thats there right now. Some of the rest of us on here are too far removed, while we may have overall "sage" (cough) advice, some of it timeless, we might be off base and not up to speed on our "knowledges"... as discussed, we have highlighted some of the best threads, and continue to periodically add to them.

SINK OR SWIM METHODOLOGY. Call me silly... but I have this viewpoint, that the future Marine Corps and Naval Officers that are visiting this site have concrete thinking and critical decision making skills. An overgrown website and two search functions should be enough for them to get the job done. Everyone need not apply, and most definitely your wings aren't handed to you... why do we need to spoonfeed also? You have more than enough winged bubbas joining the website daily, that gladly spend their free time answering questions... in addition to those that have been on here since college, are SNA/SNFOs now, and continue to provide a wealth of information... WHEN ASKED...

So, for those of you out there that have never posted, or refrain from posting... If you have used a search, can't find the info or an answer to a question that is eating you up.... ASK IT...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Also, I think that if many of the more experienced, more knowledgeable, older and wiser members of AW didn't have a steady supply of new posters to berate and harass, they would probably get bored.

And that one guy who always shows up in EVERY thread and answers EVERY question with "USE THE SEARCH!!!!" would be out of a job, then where would we be? No better than the pinko commies...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also, I think that if many of the more experienced, more knowledgeable, older, better looking and wiser members of AW didn't have a steady supply of new posters to berate and harass, they would probably get bored.
There, fixed it for you. A very true statement, I know you will go far...

And that one guy who always shows up in EVERY thread and answers EVERY question with "USE THE SEARCH!!!!" would be out of a job, then where would we be? No better than the pinko commies...
There IS the ignore function: USER CP > BUDDY/IGNORE LIST > type in username to IGNORE. And you will NEVER see any of their posts :D

And, if I get sufficiently annoyed, there is a GLOBAL IGNORE function, and no one will see your posts... nah, that's never happened...

corvairdroptop

Training changes, IFS wasn't around when I went through (full blown version), other portions of training have similarly changed.

Aside -- Is anyone else interested in an IFS category on the forum? I think it would clear up the API area a bit and would be helpful in directing those conversations. It could also help new guys with their searches, given that it might be the first place someone goes when new to the site.

It's as long as API, twice as complicated, and half as organized. Many of the threads in the API section concern IFS as it is.