• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Politico-Military Masters Programs

BigRed389

None
I was an assistant recorder on the...2008(?) line CDR board. Back then I heard "Master's degree will break you out", but I'd say at best it was a tie breaker. I know things have changed, but it was all about movement "up and to the right", and breaking out from the pack just as you come in zone (with hard tough jobs). Not to discourage anybody, but it was certainly NOT a silver bullet to O-5 (again, several years ago).

You can skip the Master's and still break out. Just negatively.

You can skip the Master's and still break out. Just negatively.
Do you have a source for this Big Red? The BUPERS community briefs list "community values" for advancement. Graduate education doesn't seem particularly emphasized for the URLs, especially for 1110/1140. For supply, they go to the trouble of saying (strongly encouraged).

Not trying to troll, just see if it's anecdotal, you work there, saw a reference I missed, etc...

BigRed389

None
Do you have a source for this Big Red? The BUPERS community briefs list "community values" for advancement. Graduate education doesn't seem particularly emphasized for the URLs, especially for 1110/1140. For supply, they go to the trouble of saying (strongly encouraged).

Not trying to troll, just see if it's anecdotal, you work there, saw a reference I missed, etc...

Well I wouldn't expect it for 1140's. I know 1140's that are on a 4th consecutive sea tour.

For 1110's I'm just going off historical stats released in the community newsletters. 70% had a Master's for the last group of O-4 selects, scaling up to 100% with a Master's for O-6 Maj. Cmd Selects.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I know many O5's & O6's that do not have Masters Degrees. While I agree it is beneficial and can be the tie breaker on a board, in no way is it a substitute for taking hard jobs and breaking out during the FITREP 500 . . . . . . .

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well I wouldn't expect it for 1140's. I know 1140's that are on a 4th consecutive sea tour.

For 1110's I'm just going off historical stats released in the community newsletters. 70% had a Master's for the last group of O-4 selects, scaling up to 100% with a Master's for O-6 Maj. Cmd Selects.
Wouldn't the Maj. Cmd selects be boosted by the fact that the Navy requires JPME to be selected, and that JPME can be done concurrently with a 1 year master's program at the NWC?

We're also talking someone who is 20+ years into his career before that little wicket becomes important vs. the importance of getting a master's as an O-3 on your post-divo shore duty. Apples and oranges?

BigRed389

None
Wouldn't the Maj. Cmd selects be boosted by the fact that the Navy requires JPME to be selected, and that JPME can be done concurrently with a 1 year master's program at the NWC?

We're also talking someone who is 20+ years into his career before that little wicket becomes important vs. the importance of getting a master's as an O-3 on your post-divo shore duty. Apples and oranges?

Yeah, probably, though many certainly got it earlier.

Where it is/isn't important obviously depends on what your community values and timelines. For an 1110, post divo shore is considered the best opportunity whether it is Navy sponsored or otherwise, for various reasons which don't become apparent unless you think of it in terms of opportunity costs down the road.

If the selection rate drops enough and enough people have gotten their Master's, "tiebreakers" stops being a "tiebreaker" and becomes "why the fuck don't you have this yet?"
For example, if everyone else just does the JPME and Master's on their own time, and you're the only asshole left that needs it, your detailer will probably send you to NWC. But then you'll go up for a board with a NOB from NWC or NPS while everyone else was getting real FITREPs that year. Maybe it matters, maybe it doesn't. Board stats are a good way to figure out what your community does care about.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I figure if the Navy wants me to get a masters, they can pay for it on their time. I'm doing the JPME thing now because the CSC Seminar is a good deal here.

I'm saving my GI Bill for the kids...
Pickle

BackOrdered

Contributor
I figure if the Navy wants me to get a masters, they can pay for it on their time. I'm doing the JPME thing now because the CSC Seminar is a good deal here.

I'm saving my GI Bill for the kids...
Pickle

That was the advice I received: Do NOT use your GI Bill while you are in for yourself. I've seen people get major deals with TA anyhow.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
That was the advice I received: Do NOT use your GI Bill while you are in for yourself...
That depends on opportunity costs. 2 years ago, I left my DH tour with a #2 EP, the proverbial kiss of death. This May, I will graduate with a Top 10 MBA having used $110k of my own Post 9-11 GI Bill to pay for it and still have 14 months to give to my kids. By the time they are ready for college, I don't think I'll be too worried about how to pay for the balance of their education. So I'll serve 4 more years, retire at 20, sell out and wear a suit. I am first to admit that my plan might not seem ideal or even attractive to others, but a blanket statement about not using GIB for yourself on Active Duty also might not fit all.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For guys interested in PolMil Affairs, I'd recommend looking at the OLA jobs. Working on the Hill in a suit for a few years is a great deal too.
OLA = Office of Legislative Affairs. I interviewed for one of these positions back when I was getting ready to go to my shore tour. Not an easy gig to get. You need (or did at the time) fitreps that are above average compared to your peer group, you have to be screened by PERS and then go to DC for face to face interviews with several individuals, the big one being the Chief of Legislative Affairs. Back then it was ADM Roughhead before he became CNO. I also had to interview with the the guy that heads up the House side of legislative affairs (there's also the Senate side) who happened to be no other than the CO of VT-6 when I was in VT-6......DOR'ing in front of his desk. I don't know if he remembered me and I didn't bring it up. I didn't get the position supposedly because I wasn't committed to going on to be a department head after that particular tour. I was one of 4 that was interviewing for the job.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Joint Staff also has a Leg Affairs shop... plus you'll earn joint credit.

kurilukd

I'm an O-3, P-3 pilot just finished my JO tour and in my first year of the 2 year Pol-Mil Masters fellowship at Harvard. If you guys have any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

-Hurricane

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
Kurilukd, I sent you (I think) a PM about this. I'd like to get in touch with you about your Pol-Mil application process. I'm applying this year. Thanks.