• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pneumonia

okie777

I got sent home this past summer at week 5 for a really bad case of pneumonia. I am likely going back to OCS this summer and wanting to know if anyone has avoided pneumonia with the pneumonia vaccine.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Okie,
Tens of thousands of people have avoided pneumonia by getting immunized, but unless you're in a vaccine trial, you'll probably never know if you were protected by the immunization or not. Large groups show lower incidences of pneumococcal pneumonia after receiving the vaccine than groups that did not receive the vaccine. There are a number of other agents that cause pneumonia however, (viruses, other bacteria, fungi, etc.), that would not be affected by receiving the pneumococcal vaccine. Unless you have other medical conditions that would predispose you to pneumonia, and would probably disqualify you from service, you probably wouldn't benefit much by receiving the pneumococcal vaccine. Getting an annual flu shot is probably about the best you can do.
R/

exNavyOffRec

Okie,
Tens of thousands of people have avoided pneumonia by getting immunized, but unless you're in a vaccine trial, you'll probably never know if you were protected by the immunization or not. Large groups show lower incidences of pneumococcal pneumonia after receiving the vaccine than groups that did not receive the vaccine. There are a number of other agents that cause pneumonia however, (viruses, other bacteria, fungi, etc.), that would not be affected by receiving the pneumococcal vaccine. Unless you have other medical conditions that would predispose you to pneumonia, and would probably disqualify you from service, you probably wouldn't benefit much by receiving the pneumococcal vaccine. Getting an annual flu shot is probably about the best you can do.
R/

My lucky family, all rec'd vaccine, 3 of 5 of us had pneumonia this year.......