• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Please remain seated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
VarmintShooter said:
I read somewhere that this one was a deliberate hard landing while they were testing the MD-80. They apparently went on to strengthen the tail section as a result of this test (good idea).

I don't think that is an MD-80 though - but I get your point.

This looks like a incredibly unstabalized approach and then PIO as a result of trying to get it on the deck. Bad headwork all around. If this is a Part 121 operation isn't there a section that says approaches have to be made in a stablalized manner on final blah blah blah..or initiate a go around?

We don't know what the winds were doing either....

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
ChuckMK23 said:
I don't think that is an MD-80 though - but I get your point.

This looks like a incredibly unstabalized approach and then PIO as a result of trying to get it on the deck. Bad headwork all around. If this is a Part 121 operation isn't there a section that says approaches have to be made in a stablalized manner on final blah blah blah..or initiate a go around?

We don't know what the winds were doing either....

actually, it is an MD-80. The video was from a 1982 test flight at Edwards AFB. I don't know what the hell they were trying to do, but if the hard landing wasn't intentional, it was likely that the pilot flared too early. The 80 is very ass heavy with the engines back there. An MD-80 pilot told me once that you don't flare it, otherwise it will sink like a brick.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Uhhhm - unless I gpot my pilot license on PLUTO, don't MD-80's have their engine nacelles on the TAIL and not on the WINGS - as is the case on this video?

Airbus A320 or 737 would be my guess...

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
ChuckMK23 said:
Uhhhm - unless I gpot my pilot license on PLUTO, don't MD-80's have their engine nacelles on the TAIL and not on the WINGS - as is the case on this video?

Airbus A320 or 737 would be my guess...

Chuck,
the link in the second post is an MD-80 hard landing that varmint was talking about. I guess you are talking about the video in the first post which is a 737.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
:D

Two different videos in this thread ... the second post contains the MD-80 video that I referred to (the engines are on the tail ... I checked).

Don't know the background on the video with the PIO, but I sure wouldn't want to have been on that flight.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Ook here I go, first, it's not a 737 second, anyone wants to bet it's a fake video?
I pay 2-1

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Best Guess from See-nile-Land:

1st one --- Airbus 320 ... fake after touchdown.

2nd one --- MD-80 and the aircraft was always tough to land "smoothly" --- too long and when you took power off --- with those skinny McDonnell-Douglas wings --- it comes down like a BRICK .... and the joint of the fuselage-tail is/was the weak point. I know nothing about either video --- other than what is portrayed. Just my $20 worth .....

IN FACT, THAT IS BASICALLY THE McDONNELL-DOUGLAS THEORY OF FLIGHT .... PUT ENOUGH THRUST ON A BRICK AND IT WILL FLY ...... A4s "Old Saying" ....

p.s. .... :censored_ ... my vote for the "new" AirWarriors Happy Face ....

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
If the first one is fake, then how'd they make it... with a model or something, or just some mad video editing?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
eddiemac0 said:
If the first one is fake, then how'd they make it... with a model or something, or just some mad video editing?

Eddie, eddie, eddie .... throttle back, relax, and enjoy the ride. I have not a clue as to how "they made it." But if the nose moved up and down that fast in reality, I suspect something would have broken -- wouldn't you??? Wood-en't you ... ??? Can you contemplate the "violence" in the cockpit from being on the end of THAT moment-arm ???

I could be wrong (refrence my ex-wife :icon_woma ) ..... and it may be the "real deal" ... I just doubt it. It could be, however ... but so what???? Not worth a lather ....

(edit: new AW smiley face .... :censored_ )

Status
Not open for further replies.