• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC SNFO contract, PRK switch to SNA

Mac Gordon

Music on.
Hey all,

Sorry if this topic has already been addressed, I've scoured the gouges and couldn't find anything that alleviated my struggle.

My vision is 20/300 uncorrected, correctable to 20/20 with contacts/glasses. I was told that because of this, my PLC contract had to be for SNFO, not SNA. Is this true?

Assuming it is true, can I get PRK surgery after or even during college, and then switch to an SNA contract before I take my commission? What have your experiences been, or what have you heard about? Any advice is appreciated.

V/r,
Mac.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
My kid did exactly that so I know it has been possible to do in the past. Like everything else I'm going to guess it depends on the needs of the Corps at the time. YMMV

Good luck!

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
My advice would be to get it done before entering the program. When I had it done my senior year of college there was a lot of pushback just to have the surgery due to needs of the Corps and I almost had to switch from SNA to NFO.

Mac Gordon

Music on.
Rocketman and MattWSU, thanks for the info (exactly what I wanted to hear). From what I've heard, it seems pretty commonplace. There're more than a few students in the pilot program at NDSU racking up their certificates and hundreds of hours who are in the same boat.

MattWSU, what was your experience? Did you end up an SNA?