• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC at a community college

User1993

I posted this in the wrong forum the other day, someone advised I post it here.

On the Marines website I read that you can get into the PLC program while attending a community college so long as you sign a letter of intent to transfer to a university. Do they discriminate against community college applicants? It seems likely.

I'm about to start my freshman year of college at a community college. I've been hoping to apply for PLC after my first semester. I figure the sooner I apply the better, this way if I don't get in I'll still have two tries before needing to consider a different commissioning route. I haven't a clue what my PFT is as of right now. But I'm confident I can have a 300 PFT in 6 months. I'm aiming for the highest GPA possible, but realistically I think I'll atleast have a 3.5. Also how much does your major factor in? I've heard it doesn't matter what you major in. And if that's the case I'm going to choose something not so challenging in order to have an amazing GPA. I'm pretty desperate to get into PLC because I read that after your second 6 week term in quantico (or 10 week) if you have an SNA contract you can get free flight training your senior year. I'd imagine that'll give me a leg up in flight school.

-Thank you for your feedback

Johnvx1k

Bars of Butter
First off, most Community Colleges do not offer a Bachelor's degree and that obviously means you have to transfer in order to pursue a commission. They do look at your major so don't just choose something easy. I'm an Exercise Major with a 3.78 GPA and another candidate, with a GPA of 2.9, was selected along with me, but he majored in engineering which is obviously harder. Every SNA will receive introductory flight training before they start API, Primary, etc. so I don't think this free flight training would necessarily give you an advantage. I would contact the OSO in your area for more information. They will be able to help you a lot and answer any questions you have. Best advice I can give you is to study hard, train hard, and do not get discouraged if you are not selected. It took me 3 boards to get selected and I never let the non-selections get under my skin.

User1993

First off, most Community Colleges do not offer a Bachelor's degree and that obviously means you have to transfer in order to pursue a commission. They do look at your major so don't just choose something easy. I'm an Exercise Major with a 3.78 GPA and another candidate, with a GPA of 2.9, was selected along with me, but he majored in engineering which is obviously harder. Every SNA will receive introductory flight training before they start API, Primary, etc. so I don't think this free flight training would necessarily give you an advantage. I would contact the OSO in your area for more information. They will be able to help you a lot and answer any questions you have. Best advice I can give you is to study hard, train hard, and do not get discouraged if you are not selected. It took me 3 boards to get selected and I never let the non-selections get under my skin.

Thanks for the info man.

nukon

pilot
FWIW, guy in my Senior's Plt. graduated from the University of Phoenix.. (online school)