• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Plantar Fasciitis

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Through some simple self-diagnosis with the help of my friend, Google, I've come to the conclusion that I've been suffering a moderate case of plantar fasciitis the past 3 weeks or so in my right foot. This is somewhat disturbing as I've only recently received word that I'll be attending OCC-196. I guess it is fortunate that it is approximately six months out which should allow adequate time for recovery.

Now I've read up up all the self-treatment regarding icing/taping/massaging/stretching and the like, but I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had any experience with this condition. Specifically, did you keep running while suffering and simply continued to treat the problem until it dissapeared? Or did you have to resort to a break in running?

I'm hoping I'll be able to continue my normal routine, but I don't want to exacerbate a problem with OCC coming up. In other words, am I going to have to spend the next month or so on the stationary bike/in the pool to maintain my fitness in order to guarantee I'm healthy when Oct. comes around?

Marine4life

You should be alright. I finished OCS with plantar fascitis. I had a bad flare up at TBS, but it didn't stop me from training. Just stretch it as much as possible.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
You should be alright. I finished OCS with plantar fascitis. I had a bad flare up at TBS, but it didn't stop me from training. Just stretch it as much as possible.

Thanks, thats what I was looking for. I've never had this issue before so I wasn't sure what to expect as I've read some pretty extreme stories about the plantar fascia, in extreme cases, tearing completely with continued training.

thull

I've dealt with plantar fascitis many times. my advice is take time off, cross train with swimming and biking, and don't push it until it heals. you'll be better off in the long run, rather than trying to push through it and making it a chronic condition. just take some time off, be patient, and try a new pair of running shoes with plenty of cushion when you get back to running...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Go see a podiatrist or an orthopedist before you totally rely on that self-diagnosis.

irishmc

Go see a podiatrist or an orthopedist before you totally rely on that self-diagnosis.

I agree. If you have the means (decent medical insurance), I'd have it diagnosed. It'd really suck if you were still having issues with only weeks/a few months to OCS due to a mis-diagnosis on your part.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Through some simple self-diagnosis with the help of my friend, Google, I've come to the conclusion that I've been suffering a moderate case of plantar fasciitis the past 3 weeks or so in my right foot......
I had it in my right foot ... researched it .... confirmed it with my DOC (he didn't offer any more "diagnosis and treatment" than what was found on the internet) ... reduce/eliminate the activity that caused it, rest the area, a little ice, a little massage (of the affected area, of course :)), and BETTER QUALITY SHOES ... result: back in business in 5-6 weeks ....

Fred

My 14yo daughter suffers off and on from this. When it's bad, she will submerge her entire foot in a bucket of ice water for 20min, 3-4 times a day. She also stays on Motrin regium, does a lot of stretching exercises, wears an orthotic device in her running shoes, as well as keeps her foot and ankle tightly taped while at the gym. She is a runner and also a gymnast. It's hard to get her foot the support she needs in gymnastics since she is barefoot. The last time she got it, it took about 2mo to clear up. It would have been much faster I think, if she were able to rest her foot verses the hours a week of pounding her feet are subjected to.

FabCoastieWife

i had this and it took several weeks to clear up (about 4-6 weeks). I stopped running during this period and wore flats to work (although i hope you are not wearing heals :) some comfy shoes with good support should help)
A co-worker of mine had the same issue and suggested Super Feet insoles for my shoes and they helped me out a lot when i run. I also forgot the name of them b/c i didn't buy them, but there are some orthotics that were on some infomercial he suggested, (Phase 4 orthotics - I think) maybe these would work for you?
Good Luck with the foot problem!

FLY_USMC

pilot
I'll give my 2 cents on the subject. I got a NASTY case of this shiat at OCS, as did many others. Both feet, and it was too the point that in the morning I almost couldn't walk to the head it hurt so bad....shuffle...shuffle...shuffle was my friend. Being the big strong tough man that I was...oh wait? I decided to nut it out, did so, got my month break before going to TBS, and arrived at TBS with the same problem, only slightly healed. Once I had my bars, I finally decided to go to the Exercise Physiologist lady at TBS, she gave me some ankle braces that essentially just locked my ankles +/- 90 degrees when I slept. Slowly but surely, it started to heal itself, as I would wear them every night. After about a good month of continuing to PT but wearing them at night, I was fine. Something about the tendons in the arch of your foot attempting to heal at night, but as they do, they pull your foot in a kind of tippie toe fashion, hence the reason it burns like all get out when you first stand up in the morning. Locking your ankles allowed them to heal in a normal length fashion, and it didn't hurt in the morning when I stood up. This is NOT something you will enjoy at OCS, live with yes, but that's it. Whoa what happened, I just blanked out??

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I had it in my right foot ... researched it .... confirmed it with my DOC (he didn't offer any more "diagnosis and treatment" than what was found on the internet) ... reduce/eliminate the activity that caused it, rest the area, a little ice, a little massage (of the affected area, of course :)), and BETTER QUALITY SHOES ... result: back in business in 5-6 weeks ....

I had come to the conclusion that my shoes were likely the culprit. I alternate between a good pair of Asics and a pair of Brooks, and they're still pretty comfortable and didn't look like they had gotten past that critical break-down point, but I'm sure both probably have a few hundred miles on them. I guess its time to put them to pasture and get some new ones...

Huggy Bear

pilot
You have to really stay on top of stretching that achilles tendon as well. Tightness there usually contributes greatly to plantar fasciitis.