• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Planning a wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amargo

My boyfriend is applying for Marine OCS January class (OCC 185), and I am wondering if any can offer some insight into what our lives will be like once that starts. We're thinking about getting married in the next couple of years (I start law school in Washington DC in the fall), but we're concerned that the uncertainty of joining the Marines will make it impossible to set a date. Ideally, we'd like to get married next fall. Has anyone been through this, trying to get married at some point after the end of basic school? Will we be able to actually set a date?
Thanks for your help,
Amy

solenita72

SWO Wife
There are several girls here that have worked through this, navy-wise that is. I'm sure they will have some insight in what to expect. Good luck and happy planning!!

Meegz

I was recently married at the courthouse here in Pensacola. Planning a wedding seemed absolutely impossible given all the uncertainty. Eloping seems to be a popular choice from everything I have heard.

I have also learned that being a lawyer is going to be really difficult as a Navy spouse. I practiced for 3 years before coming to Pensacola in May. No one is really intersted in hiring someone who will only be around for a year and doesn't have a license in Florida. The bar exam here is $1800. I can't afford that,especially when I don't have a job, and by the time I take the exam and pass it will probably be time to pack up and leave again. I am hoping it will be easier to find something once my husband is stationed somewhere. Hopefully I can count on being in one place for 2 or 3 years, and maybe one day, he'll have some say in where he goes. It seems that while he is in training I can't look ahead more than 14 weeks.

As I am sure you are aware, being in law school while your boyfriend is in OCS will be incredibly difficult! I would not start thinking about all of this too much until you know your boyfriend is definitely going to OCS. I can also say that it took moving to Pensacola and being here with my husband for me to realize that working at a big law firm and weddings are overrated.

I have so much advice, but I should probably stop now before I get carried away. Feel free to PM me with questions, worries, etc. It has been quite a roller coaster so far and I don't think it is about to end.

Good luck!
Meghan

Meghan

Oscar

E-2C Rag Student
Depending on when he goes through OCS and TBS, Christmas time is a great time to plan weddings for the military. My wife and I set our date for Dec. 29th, 2001, a year and a half before, when we got engaged. That was before I started API or went to Primary or anything. The good thing about planning it around the holidays, is that if you're husband is in flight training, most likely all training squadrons take at least one week off for Christmas or New Years. Besides that, if he's going into Aviation, anywhere he goes after OCS and TBS will be flexible, and give him leave to at least have a wedding. If you're looking for time to have a honeymooon as well, then that might be a little more trouble, but I've had plenty of friends through flight school who have taken leave in order to get married, and most commands have bent over backwards to give them the time that they needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.