• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Place to live in Corpus

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, live on base and save some money. It's not like you'll be there that long anyway. Plus, think about it this way, free a/c!!!!

Do you really save that much money living on base?

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I know a couple of guys who are getting ready to class up for Primary and are friends with one of my winging class buddies, and they live on base. They HATE it. It sucks since they're some of the only SNAs who are living on base, they have to drive to other people's places since no one wants to come onto base to do something (and there's not much to do except TP MasterBates RV anyway), you're surrounded my military 24/7, and if you decide to get a couple of drinks at the Pel, you pretty much have to crash at a buddy's place anyway to avoid the gate guards and because they won't let taxis onto base. Doesn't seem like something I'd want to do.

Rg9

pilot
A buddy of mine just went down for C-130 Advanced (Marines). He said that, although he has a wife and kid and is an O-2, he doesn't rate the housing he should normally get (don't remember the size) because he's a stud. So, if he lived on base, he'd get ALL of his $1300+ BAH (or whatever it is for O-2 w/dep - same thing I'll be getting too, btw) taken, and would have to live in the smallest option available. Doesn't sound too appealing to me...

MasterBates

My advice to Corpus bound studs:

Live in town. Pick the island or in town. Be near a bar you can stumble home from.

This applies to boring married types.

The RV park is the ONLY reason I live on base. Being next to the O Club is a nice side benefit, but going ANYWHERE is a PITA. If you take a cab back, you will have to walk 1.5-2 miles depending on where in housing you live. And when you LEAVE for Utopia smashed, (as Orthromas can attest to) and leave barely standing, that walk SUCKS.

d3l0n6

pilot
Base housing is a decent option IF you are trying to save some money. I lived there throughout primary and intermediate and never lost my bah. We paid approximately 500 apiece (had a roommate) which included all the a/c we could handle, and a swampy lawn (i watered too much :) ). My roommates mother even heated the house with the oven one night when the heater was broken. More studs live on base than you might think and you can stumble home from the winging parties every other friday night. It wasn't all great but I pocketed mucho dineros in comparison to my buddies that lived off base.

MasterBates

My take, with roomates, if you are going to live in town, you can live in a nice condo for about that much.

I lived in a condo owned by another AW member for $1050/mo, for a 2 bedroom condo with garage, and I never had utils over $100.

Splitting for $600/mo is reasonable.

For all the BS you have to put up with living on base, I'd pay the $100 more to go in town.

You can have your guns at home. No registration, no armory, no BS.
You can get a ride to your door from a cab. No 1-2 mile walk.
Women without base access can come over without you having to pick them up.

Duty driver can and will take you home or to a place of your choosing from winging parties.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
I'm about 6 months out of 31. I never saw any of the issues people (who haven't been in 31) speak of. Out of all my flights, I flew with maybe two or three people who were less than pleasant to fly with. I was always generally impressed with how cool the IPs were, and pretty much everyone I knew agreed. MX was never an issue. Sure, things broke occasionally, but welcome to flying for the Navy. The charlie conversion may have caused some availability hiccups, but I had 1 ACNA that I can remember.

I think this all boils down to the never ending cycle of crappy corpus gouge out there. 27/31 aren't that uptight, 28/35 aren't that laid back. In the end, it's a wash. If you aren't antisocial and can fly, you'll have a great experience.

Live on the island. Otherwise, Corpus is just another crappy Navy town.

d3l0n6

pilot
I consider women not being to come over unless you pick them up to be a huge benefit. And we weren't supposed to keep our guns on base???? News to me.

Rg9

pilot
Base housing is a decent option IF you are trying to save some money. I lived there throughout primary and intermediate and never lost my bah. We paid approximately 500 apiece (had a roommate) which included all the a/c we could handle, and a swampy lawn (i watered too much :) ). My roommates mother even heated the house with the oven one night when the heater was broken. More studs live on base than you might think and you can stumble home from the winging parties every other friday night. It wasn't all great but I pocketed mucho dineros in comparison to my buddies that lived off base.
Uh... is that how it's supposed to be? Or did you get one of those deals where they want studs to split on base housing and you split your BAH in half? I didn't think you'd keep any of it, especially since I'll be living there with my wife, and thus no roommates.

MasterBates

Base housing in Corpus and Krock is now Public-Private Venture.. Aka, privatized.

At krock, they charge BAH - "average utilities" for rent.

At NASCC they charge full BAH but pay utilities IIRC.

You can have roommates.

There is a bunch of other BS that goes with it, and they also allow civilians to live there. Here on Corpus we had some section 8 welfare types. Ditto for Krock. Not sure how they did the base access for them, but that is the way the privatization worked.

Rg9

pilot
Yeah, that's even more reason not to live on base...

So, for you guys who PCS'd from Whiting: Did you get any house hunting leave down there. I have to check in on the 6th, but am not supposed to start until the 14th. I didn't think about it until talking to a helo stud friend of mine who said the guys coming up here from Corpus did not get any and started right away.

I was hoping to use that time to find a place... Anyone have any current gouge about this?

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
No househunting leave for incoming studs as far as I know. The first day or two you'll be running around getting the admin stuff knocked out, then all you have to do is muster until your welcome aboard date, which is two or three days of briefs that go until early afternoon or so. After that there's usually some time to find a house. They'll ask if everyone has found a place to live since once upon a time, some Primary kid couldn't find anyplace and was sleeping in his car. Oh wait, that was MB... <grin>

There was a lady you can get in touch with from the base housing office who is a tenant headhunter, for lack of a better term; she gets some kind of commission from whoever you end up renting from, so it doesn't cost you anything. I think her name was Kelly. She seemed to focus more on the mainland; not sure what you're looking for.

If the mainland is something you're interested in, I'd highly recommend Summer House Apartments off of Staples. Quiet neighborhood, 1 and 2 bedrooms available with garages (some attached), close to two HEBs, 15-20 min drive to work, and very military friendly.