• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Place to live in Corpus

Rg9

pilot
My wife and I will be coming down to Corpus in a couple weeks to start advanced prop training and we need a place to live. We have 2 dogs, and really need a house with a fenced backyard. We'd like something on the island, if possible, but don't need it, obviously.

We're looking online, etc., but if any of you guys have any good hookups, let me know. Thanks.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I had good luck going through the Coldwell Banker Office on the Island. The contact used to be a woman named Phyllis...she has since departed and now I'm not sure who the POC is. Their operator could tell you though.

The office is good because they are pet friendly...(three dogs!), have a large number of properties and are flexible and fair with pricing and lease terms.
(361) 949-0244

If you are planning on coming to check in first and then signing a lease...it is also worthwhile to check the bulletin boards in the wing building (where you check in) as there are often some good deals person to person posted. Good luck...get -35!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Richard, the guy you check in with at the wing, assigns you on a first come first served basis. If you show up, both are available and you ask for -35...you'll get it. Some guys have even gone so far as to show up early and to check for them if a slot is open...:D

Good luck.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Why are -35 guys so obsessed with singing the praises of it? I ask because I was in -31 and enjoyed it. We had douche bag instructors but having gone through the rag with plenty of -35 guys, so did they. What precisely makes -35 better or what makes -31 worse?

Rg9

pilot
Why are -35 guys so obsessed with singing the praises of it? I ask because I was in -31 and enjoyed it. We had douche bag instructors but having gone through the rag with plenty of -35 guys, so did they. What precisely makes -35 better or what makes -31 worse?
Yes, please elaborate. My limitation of knowledge between the two extends to the TW4 website and what you have said here. Someone sell me on one of the squadrons in case I can choose! :) (So far, -35 is winning...)

Rg9

pilot
So, on this new topic... does just the T-44c have the glass cockpit? Does that mean the 12 and 44a are pretty much the same cockpitwise? How would I get the 44c's?

Excuse my ignorance and thanks for the help!

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Okay, I'm a wee bit drunkish so ignore any typos I decided to leave at 2 am.

The reasons I liked 35 were the following:

1. Very small squadron, very closely knit group of IPs and studs. Only thing I've seen that came close was VT-28 because the squadron spaces were closer together and we were weather/ACNA'd together so many times we had to get to be friends...

2. The TC-12 is AWESOME to fly--a very forgiving aircraft in a lot of ways; relatively easy to learn to fly but difficult to truly master. It actually has enough power to fly (i.e., climb) single engine if you had a no shit emergency or really shut an engine down for something (which I've experienced), unlike the T-44 which MIGHT be able to get away from the ground in the event of something bad happening.

3. Yes, we had a few irritating/no-fun IPs, but they were few and far between. The rest were awesome. From what I hear, 31 has MORE than its fair share of dicks; my friends in 31 kept pointing them out to me at the O-club during wingings: "Yeah, there's douchebag so and so, and that guy's a prick too..."

4. My onwing was in the front office, and he was just happy to be flying. 'Nuff said.

5. Maintenance was rarely if ever an issue for us. For all the complaining others farther up the chain appear to be doing about the maintenance contract we have with L3, we rarely have that big a problem with our planes. Occasionally we might have an A/C, NAVAID, or pressurization problem, but it's far more rare than in 31 from all I've heard. They seem to really fix things on our size better than in T-44land instead of writing if off as "unable to duplicate on ground" and calling it fixed like I've heard they do in 31. That happens occasionally but not as much.

6. While we don't have the glass cockpit that the T-44Cs have, big frickin deal. You're going to be flying something with steam gauges until the MMA comes online anyway, right? The C-12 can go longer, farther, and faster than a T-44 could ever hope to go: our contact flights can be conducted in the Rio Grande Valley vice the local area, so many times you'll get an uncontrolled (or controlled; depends on the day) field all to ourselves to practice landings, and AIRNAV solos can be very long if the weather is decent. T-44s get to worry incessantly about course rules and how the pattern at Cabaniss works; I saw VFR course rules three times in advanced and my fam partner never really figured it out because we never had consistently good enough weather (I recognized enough from Primary to get by).

7. Type rating. While lots of people make a big deal out of it, it isn't that huge a deal. Really, it's just nice to have since almost every command has a C-12 sitting around somewhere and you'll be able to fly it from now on, or be able to fly your rich millionaire buddy's Super King Air with a little refresher training. Not a bad deal.

To answer your last question, the C-12 and the T-44A are different cockpit-wise in some significant ways. I never played with the T-44s so I don't know all the differences; some of the big ones are the the right seat has to lower the gear in the T-44; left seat has the gear handle in the C-12. Radio setup is vastly different in the T-44; we're still in the stone age in many respects in the C-12. Any 31 bubbas want to chime in on this?

Hope this helps. I'm gonna get some water and sack the f out.

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
The simulator for the TC-12 is also better. It has a full visual display. And I'm not sure how it works, but the sim instructors told us that they are "high fidelity" enough that they count for real hours in your logbook, much like airline pilots can count sim hours. Again, I have no real idea what I'm talking about, so if anyone knows better they can chime in.

The T-44A has sims like the T-34 (no display). The T-44C doesn't have sims yet - you do them in the plane. While it is cool to get the extra flight hours by doing sims in the plane, it takes a lot more time out of your day and doesn't allow for as good training, in my opinion.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Okay, I'm a wee bit drunkish so ignore any typos I decided to leave at 2 am.

The reasons I liked 35 were the following:

Words...

Just to continue the discussion

1. True, can't argue with you there.

2. Kind of true. Once you get the gear and flaps up the T-44 will climb eventually, still better than a P-3 two engined.

3. I'll take your word for it there since instructors have changed since I've been there.

4. Sounds like you got a good draw for onwing.

5. I didn't really experience many problems with maintanence when I was there but I can see how it could have changed. Around the time I was leaving AC/NA was getting to be a problem because of planes off the line being modified to C's and the C's not being usable for training as the first IP's were still getting qual'ed. How are they handling the A vs C thing, seperate syllabus or do you fly either one depending upon availability?

6. Not true. We have a couple EFDS(glass cockpit) P-3's here at the rag that you'll probably fly. Can't speak for the percentage in the fleet but they're out there. Not that I think it makes a difference since you'll fly both and won't know what you got till you read the book and walk. As far as farther and longer, that's great for x-countries. But 4 hour contact flights were plenty long enough for me. I'd rather spend 5 minutes getting to Cabaniss and more time bouncing than transiting somewhere. I went to Whiting for primary so Cabaniss course rules really weren't much of a challenge but I can see how Corpus guys who are only capable of flying to the water and making a right or left might be intimidated:)

d3l0n6

pilot
Dude, live on base and save some money. It's not like you'll be there that long anyway. Plus, think about it this way, free a/c!!!!

MasterBates

Does the PPV housing at NASCC have utilities included?

I know at Hunters' Cove in Krock, they took out "estimated average utils" from BAH and that was your rent.

The RV park, $430/mo at NASCC, $240/mo at NASK, and that includes all the electric and H20 I care to use.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
The simulator for the TC-12 is also better. It has a full visual display. And I'm not sure how it works, but the sim instructors told us that they are "high fidelity" enough that they count for real hours in your logbook, much like airline pilots can count sim hours. Again, I have no real idea what I'm talking about, so if anyone knows better they can chime in.

The way it worked for me was they added about six hours of sim time to my actual instrument time to make sure it adds up to 50 hours total for your instrument rating.

The sim is pretty sweet, and since you don't have ANY seat of the pants feel, your scan gets pretty decent.