• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pipeline selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erk183

Hey guys, I'm a new member in college and have always wanted to be a jet pilot in the military. I hear a lot of good stuff about the Navy so I've been reading the stuff you've got here. I won't be out of College until 2006, so I don't know if the situation will be the same... but from reading the posts it makes it sound like the chances of getting a jet slot are worse than the chance of winning the lottery. Obviously the number one guy will more than likely get what he wants but my question is this... What does it take to be that number one guy? Is it just work ethic and study habits, a natural knack for flying, flight experience... etc. The reason I ask (and I don't mean to knock the other platforms at all really) is because it almost sounds like the Navy is a big gamble if you wanna fly a jet and thats what I want to do. I have good work ethic and a near flawless gpa because of it and I would like to think that sort of effort in primary would get the job done for me. To make a long story short... are the guys (or girls) that end up in F/A 18's the ones that studied and worked their butts off in training or the guys with flight experience and/or "natural talent?"

marcurb

Timing is everything, but you have to have it all, good flying skills and study habits. It's going to be tough regardless. If you want jets and dont get them our of primary you will probably end up like one of those guys who just drops out because he didnt get what he wanted. Just try your best if you dont get jets and get something else then so be it. A day flying anything in the Navy is better than a day in an office. Dont set yourself up for failure before you even apply.

"Be careful out there..." "If I was careful I would have joined the Coast Guard."

Erk183

Hey thanks a lot for the input. Ok another related question... what determines which aircraft you end up in within a certain pipeline? For example, within jets if you wanted a Prowler or an 18... do you mark it as your choice and it works like pipeline selection does.. or are there different factors that determine your ultimate platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.