• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pipeline Questions OCS to Primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrill Thompson

Anyone,

I saw in a post from some time ago that the SNA could tell which Primary location (Whiting vs CC) they were slated for before they started API. Does this still apply? Does it apply at all for OCS students vs School or ROTC?

Big question. What to do with the spouse during API/Primary? The situation I face is probably common...

My OCS date is June 2 of 2001. The wife is going to be at home in Maryland during this time. With my previous understanding that SNAs wouldn't know their Primary until the end of API, I also suggested that she stay in MD for the six or so weeks that tat lasts, then join me at Primary, wherever that would be.

Any thoughts on this? I would like to have her around as much as possible, but what is the right balance here between school and family? What would the housing situation be like? I'd suppose that I would have to get a place off base during API?

Any inputs about the housing/family/logistics of the SNA Pipeline would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, ACES on 7 JAN. Anything I need to prepare for?

Derrill

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From what I have heard (second hand), you are still finding out where you will be going for Primary prior to going to API, hopefully someone else can post a comment on the current situtation.

Hmm, what to do with the significant other? During my own stay in Pensacola (for both API and Primary) I had my family with me, and was able to easily find a nice house to rent out in town. I predominantly spent my week studying, and the weekend with my family and friends, something that I have pretty much continued to do throughout training where possible.

I did notice that the guys without the family, or single, definitely enjoyed the benefits of staying in the BOQ on base, and being able to literally roll right out of bed to go to class, or when we had lunch or a break to go back to their rooms, while the rest of us were stuck with the bowling alley, subway or O club.

During a portion of API my wife even abandoned me (haha, too much studying) and went to visit family she hadn't seen in awhile, and I did enjoy the quiet household and having over the study group that I had gotten into. But on the flip side it was nice to have the wife there as a stress reliever, which API definitely can cause a lot of. Especially as training goes on, most wives/girlfriends end up knowing the EPs and systems limits almost as well as their husbands!!! Can't tell you how many times I have had my wife quiz me on my procedures and EPs, and that was jokingly alluded to by the Guest of Honor at my Winging when they presented the Spouses with thank you letters for putting up with the program through Winging.

With regards to housing, there is military housing on NAS Pensacola but that is not available to students. If you get Primary at either Whiting or Corpus, housing is available to you. I did not stay in housing at either location, and don't know what the wait list is like.

As I mentioned earlier, I found a nice 3 bedroom house in Pensacola, about halfway between NAS Pcola and Whiting, out in the Scenic Heights area, and was really happy there. The housing market it good, and the housing and family service center on base can provide you with up to date MLS listings of all the rental properties that are available.

In your case, coming straight from 13 weeks of OCS without the family and straight into API, I know I would be missing my family, so that will more than likely have some weight on any of your decisions. But basically there are just the two scenarios,

1) Primary at Whiting - military pays for family to come out, all is good.
2) Primary at Corpus - military waits for you to finish API, and then you move family out to Corpus.

Alot depends on the accounting codes they put on your orders, and when they will fund the move for your family as to what you will be able to do.

Hope I was able to help answer your question. Congrats again on picking up Naval Aviation, and switching to the better service!

Derrill Thompson

Are there still extended wait periods between API and Primary? I ask this question because I wonder if I should start greasing the skids for a "stash" job.

Would like to hear from someone who has coordinated a stash job for themselves. Did you first contact the unit you wanted to go to? Did that unit then have to "ask" for you to come there? I have heard conflicting stories about how the process works, but am very interested in the professional development opportunities this would offer.

Stuck in cave of knowledge and need someone to shed some light...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No.

No matter where you choose for primary, you are going to have the same opportunity to excel or not to excel in your flying endeavors. Flying at Vance is done a little quicker pace, yes. This has both good and bad consequences associated with it. The bad: the firehose has a larger diameter and as a result, you must absorb more...in a shorter period of time. The good: the firehose has a larger diameter and as a result, you are less likely to lose your focus. Also you are going to learn a lot faster if you are flying 4 to 5 times a week at Vance compared to flying 2, maybe 3 times a week at Whiting in VT-2. The end result is that you are going to have to work hard and stay focused if you want to fly jets. Don't let anyone tell you that you'll have a better chance to fly jets if you go to a particular place to fly.

Fly safe and happy landings
--Steve Wilkins

Status
Not open for further replies.