• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeman02

Doese anyone know when they are going to start to wheen pilots out of the aircrafts? I mean like have robo-planes with no humans or planes that are going to be piloted from the ground? I am probaly going to join the Air Force or Navy in about 2010 or so......I hope by then humans still fly IN aircraft! Doese anyone heard anything recent? I know most people cant really tell the future but maby somebody heard something.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Don't know too much about the Navy UAV/UCAV's... but the other day when I wanted to do a Cross-country flight through McChord AFB's airspace, the preflight briefer mentioned a NOTAM about some UAV activity at 500ft AGL to watch out for. That was kind of cool... but unfortunatly once I got to that area it was done and didn't get to see any that time. :-( bummer.

Man, have you seen some of those planes though? They look so stinking cool! I especially like the X-36(is that it?) Tail less agility fighter. (not a fighter yet... just experimental... it's just called that)

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
When I was in 29 Palms a couple of weeks ago, they were field testing a new UAV called "Dragon Eye." Standard stuff on board like a camera (not good for targeting), GPS and has the ability to fly nap of the earth. The big deal was this thing was man portable (about 40lbs), 3ft in length, totally electric (no gas engine), and could be launched from a bungee cord off the backpack. Once airborne it would fly its preprogramed mission automatically. Upon return, it's designed to crash and break into 3 pieces. The robots are coming but it still takes the human to determine if his target is good or bad before mashing the pickle switch. Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Well the idea of a robot that can go out and fight for humans would be nice but I don’t think that we are all that close yet. I say this because I am not yet convinced that we have an AI that could go out and perform as well as a human. Things such as identifying who are the good guys, and who are the bad guys who are suppose to the shooting at are problematic at best for computers. We have to ask our self’s if we feel comfortable with a computer making that kind of life and death decision? I think that UAVs will become a valuable tool in the coming years. But I think they will be just that a tool, I highly doubt that we will see the complete absence of humans in air warfare anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.