• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Physics or Engineering

taxi1

pilot
Seriously, I found writing skills critical to officering and woefully lacking in too many.

I had an English major as my Safety Department Head, and I’d prep some stuff for our SOP and have it handed back to me all red-lined up and rewritten. In time I recognized it as best education I got.

Clear writing is clear thinking.

Ghostwriter. Offices are next to the pawn shops at Coronado

exNavyOffRec

Seriously, I found writing skills critical to officering and woefully lacking in too many.

I had an English major as my Safety Department Head, and I’d prep some stuff for our SOP and have it handed back to me all red-lined up and rewritten. In time I recognized it as best education I got.

Clear writing is clear thinking.

Ghostwriter. Offices are next to the pawn shops at Coronado
I had a Reactor Officer that had a tech degree but had taken a lot of writing classes. I would send up a report each month and each month he would mark it up and send it back saying "we need to have this looking good when it goes to the CO", I told him repeatedly "this doesn't go to the CO, I put the numbers in a document in shared drive, this report stops with you". I would take the one he was happy with and the next month put numbers in that one, and the cycle would continue. I talked to the Dept MCPO about it and he said he would do the same thing with other reports that ended with him spending hours making corrections and then the next month making correction to what was essentially the correction he had done.

He was fired a few months later.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Do what HAL said. Always have a plan B. I even like to have a plan C. I'd say both engineering and physics provide a solid foundation for any number of job opportunities, keeping in mind that your "BS in engineering/physics" from 10-20 years ago and no relevant work experience isn't going to be a viable plan B after the Navy, aside from our TPS friends. Do what you think you will excel in, i.e. what interests you the most. You'll be in flight school and beyond with plenty of Thai Dolphin Massage studies majors who will be very successful in this business as well. This is a trade, unrelated to anything you learned in college, though math/science can be a little useful at times.

vickey0070

I have known few guys with Finance degrees performing well in the aviation mainly flying UAV and pilot slots too.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Do what HAL said. Always have a plan B. I even like to have a plan C. I'd say both engineering and physics provide a solid foundation for any number of job opportunities, keeping in mind that your "BS in engineering/physics" from 10-20 years ago and no relevant work experience isn't going to be a viable plan B after the Navy, aside from our TPS friends. Do what you think you will excel in, i.e. what interests you the most. You'll be in flight school and beyond with plenty of Thai Dolphin Massage studies majors who will be very successful in this business as well. This is a trade, unrelated to anything you learned in college, though math/science can be a little useful at times.
Also, the technical degrees can open doors for a plan B in the Navy. I've got a buddy who got grounded for some medical stuff and he had to redesignate from NFO. He's now an EDO all because he had a technical degree. That means no silly SWO business for him. AMDO and CEC are also other options. It's good to have options when the shit hits the fan.