• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Perfect ASTB, mediocre GPA. Do I have a decent shot at OCS?

Kjevkar

Title pretty much says it.

My ASTB is 9-9-9 and my OAR is 72. I have a perfect PRT as well.

I am an aerospace engineering major at one of the top three programs in the country, but my GPA sucks: 2.53.

For the first half of college I was a lazy, unmotivated student, and my GPA was commensurately low. The past two semesters I have maintained above a 3.0, and I expect to graduate next fall.

Do I have a reasonable shot at an SNA slot?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

I am an aerospace engineering major at one of the top three programs in the country, but my GPA sucks: 2.53.

For the first half of college I was a lazy, unmotivated student, and my GPA was commensurately low. The past two semesters I have maintained above a 3.0, and I expect to graduate next fall.

Do yourself a favor and search around the forums. There’s board threads as well as a “am I competitive?” Thread to see where you stack up.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation

Apply.

Make Them Tell You No

Meyerkord

pilot

I'd say yes. Submit the application and see what happens.

swmonroe88

pilot

Fantastic ASTB, challenging program, good school, low(ish... honestly not even that bad) GPA. I wouldn't put all your eggs in this basket, but apply and stay optimistic... I imagine you'd be selected.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No flight time, but I have worked in an atmospheric chemistry laboratory for two of the past three summers.

What if we told you that you weren't competitive? Then what would you do?

Despite the low GPA, it's in a hard STEM program. Couple that with your other scores, and why wouldn't you apply, assuming it's something you want to do? Let them tell you no and don't worry what the internet thinks.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Try to boost your "whole person" package with some leadership experience, if you don't already have something that fits the bill. Run for president of one of the campus clubs or some volunteer organization. Half the time somebody in those positions gets there by acclaim. Show up, make sure you you give a crap about the cause, work on your own collaborative style (as opposed to authoritarian) and cultivating people's innate motivation, that kind of stuff. It'll be valuable if your recruiter has you do officer interviews and it'll be valuable throughout your career too. Pro tip: when it comes to volunteer organizations, bring food sometimes when you're the prez.

My GPA sucked worse than yours, I got nines on the ASTB and I almost maxed out the PRT too, and I got picked up for OCS and SNA 21 years ago. One last thing in your favor is that you seem to be able to read and write without coming across as a tween; some applicants with higher GPAs, seem to have trouble with that.

Kjevkar

What if we told you that you weren't competitive? Then what would you do?

I'm going to apply regardless, but I wanted to get a gauge of how likely those in the naval aviation community think my acceptance is.

Thanks for the advice; I called a recruiter today, and he referred me to an LTCDR from whom I have not heard back.

Kjevkar

Try to boost your "whole person" package with some leadership experience, if you don't already have something that fits the bill. Run for president of one of the campus clubs or some volunteer organization. Half the time somebody in those positions gets there by acclaim. Show up, make sure you you give a crap about the cause, work on your own collaborative style (as opposed to authoritarian) and cultivating people's innate motivation, that kind of stuff. It'll be valuable if your recruiter has you do officer interviews and it'll be valuable throughout your career too. Pro tip: when it comes to volunteer organizations, bring food sometimes when you're the prez.

My GPA sucked worse than yours, I got nines on the ASTB and I almost maxed out the PRT too, and I got picked up for OCS and SNA 21 years ago. One last thing in your favor is that you seem to be able to read and write without coming across as a tween; some applicants with higher GPAs, seem to have trouble with that.

I'm pretty involved on campus, but I could definitely stand to find a volunteering opportunity.

Thanks for the advice; I'll follow it to the best of my ability.

taxi1

pilot
I was non-competitive the first two times I applied. ?

Was out working as an engineer at a military depot (a NARF, for those who remember) for two years before I hit the 3rd time charm. Also had some flight time under my belt, and rec letters from the CAPT CO of the depot. Off to AOCS.

I hire engineers and reviewed packages for a DCO community for a long time. You seem intelligent. Good luck!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Who knows. Apply. Sometimes a rocket scientist can't get in, other times the rock jock gets in. Timing is everything- after that you can only do your best and see where the chips fall.