• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pentagon To Retire USS Truman Early, Shrinking Carrier Fleet To 10

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That didn't work out so well with the JFK, which was supposed to be used just as a training and reserve carrier in the late 90's. Real life got in the way though and she was deployed as a regular carrier after they shorted the overhaul (just didn't do most of it) and screwed the crew over, Skipper included if I remember right who was relieved partly because of the material deficiencies on the ship that were largely out of his control.
Very good point. I didn't mean to imply it was like an old Chrysler K-Car you kept in the backyard. Care, maintenance and operational capability are critical things to keep up - and expensive.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very good point. I didn't mean to imply it was like an old Chrysler K-Car you kept in the backyard. Care, maintenance and operational capability are critical things to keep up - and expensive.

In a perfect world it is actually a decent idea, unfortunately the Navy and DoD will not use the asset that way and a lot of folks would get screwed over again.

exNavyOffRec

In a perfect world it is actually a decent idea, unfortunately the Navy and DoD will not use the asset that way and a lot of folks would get screwed over again.

A CVN isn't something you can just park, turn off the lights and come back to it when you need it, there are requirements for maintenance, requirements for nuclear watchstanders, and aging of the systems. A CVN is something that if you are going to have you need to be using it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A CVN isn't something you can just park, turn off the lights and come back to it when you need it, there are requirements for maintenance, requirements for nuclear watchstanders, and aging of the systems. A CVN is something that if you are going to have you need to be using it.

No, it isn't but a CVN in a semi-permanent 'reduced readiness' status, where she is still operated but not regularly deployed, isn't necessarily a bad idea if it could save significant money. Unfortunately it likely wouldn't work for a myriad of reasons, namely the savings likely wouldn't be significant enough to justify it.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Maybe not the best comparison, but putting JFK into a reserve status in the mid 1990's turned out to be a bad decision when we needed to spin her back up. Seems like that's a fresh lessons learned file.

With a CVN, I can see where the problems from layup to spinup would be orders of magnitude greater.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe not the best comparison, but putting JFK into a reserve status in the mid 1990's turned out to be a bad decision when we needed to spin her back up. Seems like that's a fresh lessons learned file.

That is the example I used earlier, it didn't go well after they reversed the decision but didn't fund a lot of necessary fixes.

In a constrained fiscal environment it may make sense though, the Brits are going to effectively do to do that with their 'spare' carrier when the other one is fully up and deployable, we likely wouldn't let it work though.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor

With a CVN, I can see where the problems from layup to spinup would be orders of magnitude greater.
For god knows whatever reason, I saved this on a C: drive a long time ago, and it has followed my system changes ever since. A grim read (even if it is all caps...).

Attachments

• QUICKLOOK REPORT FOR USS JOHN F KENNEDY (CV 67) MATERIAL INSPECTION (MI).pdf
    87.8 KB · Views: 46

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
“Air dominance since 1953 ... the last time an enemy aircraft killed a U.S. service member”

Are you fucking kidding me?

The ellipsis shit alone is worthy of a throat punch.

Believe it or not that is actually a really big talking point with the USAF, I've heard it repeated many a time by air superiority...sorry...Air Dominance (sts) advocates.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m pretty sure ships came under air attack in Vietnam, but I don’t know offhand if anyone was KIA.