• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Paying it forward, ask a question wrt STA-21

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Chiefs should not be ranking you for an officers package.

I asked an MMC and an MMCS both to write letters of recommendation. STA-21 was listed as a recommendation for assignment on my eval by an MM1.

When I was interviewed for STA-21 by the target option officers doing my interview, they remarked that they were pleasantly surprised that a Chief and a Senior Chief provided good letters of recommendation for my STA-21 package.

When a member of the Chief's mess speaks up, they are noticed, more often than not.

Just my opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree.

FY-08 pilot select.

FY08 Pilot Select as well, first time applicant.

Smirnoff

pilot
Was this added in an offhand manner to qualify the crap you just spit out, or did you just feel that you needed to remind someone that for some reason you think you know what you are talking about?

I too am an FY08 Pilot Select, even though I had a 9 on one of my officer interviews. The packages are scored by a group of people (LCDR's usually) using a pre-determined scoring system for most things like awards, evals, education, etc. The rest of the package is looked at later by another group that scores the rest of the package and makes the selections (this information can be found elsewere on this site).

Big picture, the board considers the overall person, not just certain aspects of the package. Therefore, it is possible to be a "contender" even if you may not have smoked your boards. There are a number of reasons for having the Chief's mess rank applicants, some make sense and some don't. If the case happens to be the Skipper was new, or just busy, then the Chief's mess would probably have the best idea of a particular applicant's strengths and weaknesses. Could this lead to some skewed rankings? Sure it could...but not likely. Chief's are charged with training junior officers and by default should have a pretty good idea of who would make a good one.

This post is about giving ones perspective in order to provide useful information. Many of you are reading too much into my earlier post, and some of you (wlawr005) are talking out of your ass. Let me clarify. I do believe the chiefs opinion of candidates is important. However, as far as I know, no chiefs sit on the STA-21 board. No one that I know got selected because they got a stellar Master Chief LOR. My point was simply to motivate people who read this to go number 1. My former XO who has sat on a STA-21 board has told me that many packages are set aside for 9's, when there is no reason a candidate can't do as many interviews as it takes to get all 10's. This program is extremely competitive and if people want to stand out, they should not be 3 of 3 on a recommendation. Once again, this is MY OPINION, so take that into consideration before you go trashing someones post. This BS coveted chief crap is old get over yourself. FY-08 pilot select, after 3 tries.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
This post is about giving ones perspective in order to provide useful information. Many of you are reading too much into my earlier post, and some of you (wlawr005) are talking out of your ass. Let me clarify. I do believe the chiefs opinion of candidates is important. However, as far as I know, no chiefs sit on the STA-21 board. No one that I know got selected because they got a stellar Master Chief LOR. My point was simply to motivate people who read this to go number 1. My former XO who has sat on a STA-21 board has told me that many packages are set aside for 9's, when there is no reason a candidate can't do as many interviews as it takes to get all 10's. This program is extremely competitive and if people want to stand out, they should not be 3 of 3 on a recommendation. Once again, this is MY OPINION, so take that into consideration before you go trashing someones post. This BS coveted chief crap is old get over yourself. FY-08 pilot select, after 3 tries.

I'm going to put this as delicately as I can - we all know what opinions are like.

It's not that the Chief LOR is coveted. Absolutely not. However, that's no reason not to have one from a Chief or above in your STA-21 package.

It's one thing to voice your opinion. It's another thing entirely to make your opinion the only valid one, which is what it looks like you're doing here. Bad opinions can quickly turn into bad gouge and misguide someone in their decision-making process.

Drock88

Question:

Does it matter if we reuse LORs from the previous year; even though the subject is:

President, FY11 STA-21 Board

Even though it is going to be in a FY12 package?

oceanwaiting

FY-11 Core
it's fine, i asked Ed Straten when i applied for FY11, and he said include the FY10 LORs as is. FY10 SWO/IP Alt => FY11 Core Pri so it must have not hurt

JNeal111

AT2 -> OC -> SNFO
I would love to answer any questions out there.. NFO select and applied for STA-21 3x and was an alternate twice, so I've done my homework! PM questions

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
FY-08 STA-21, SNFO. 12 yrs in. One shot, one kill. Questions, ask if ya got em'.