• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Paying it forward, ask a question wrt STA-21

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
^quit wasting space in my thread!
I stand a great possibility of getting sent IA to Iraq in September. If I do, what will happen if I get selected into STA-21 in October?​

If you submit a STA-21 package you're not supposed to transfer until the results are out. However, I've heard of this rule not being followed. I can't say what would happen though if you're selected while out on an IA.

GERM

For all those that have been selected in the past, did you send in multiple college acceptance letters for your choices or just for your number 1 school?

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
I just sent in one, as only one school would take me. I got the tap, and then got my degree plan together from that one school. It would be prudent to have a backup plan, but there's enough time to work a backup after you get picked up. I knew of guys changing their ROTC choices during NSI.

wernama

So you guys sent acceptance letters in with your package... I just sent in my degree plan proving that I would grad well before the 36 month mark, do you think that would be sufficient?

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Right. If/when you get selected, you then must respond with physicals, degree plan, etc. No need to fret until you get the nod; they'll tell you what to do then.

Smirnoff

pilot
If you want to be a contender you need all 10's on your Interview sheets and to go number 1 in the rankings. Chiefs should not be ranking you for an officers package. Just my opinion. Remember the board is looking at hundreds of applicants. Sometimes one 9, or a lower ranking than other people in your command may keep you from getting a good look at your package, no pun intended. Just keep doing interviews until you get what you want. Hope this helps. FY-08 pilot select.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
If you want to be a contender you need all 10's on your Interview sheets and to go number 1 in the rankings. Chiefs should not be ranking you for an officers package. Just my opinion. Remember the board is looking at hundreds of applicants. Sometimes one 9, or a lower ranking than other people in your command may keep you from getting a good look at your package, no pun intended. Just keep doing interviews until you get what you want. Hope this helps. FY-08 pilot select.

Was this added in an offhand manner to qualify the crap you just spit out, or did you just feel that you needed to remind someone that for some reason you think you know what you are talking about?

I too am an FY08 Pilot Select, even though I had a 9 on one of my officer interviews. The packages are scored by a group of people (LCDR's usually) using a pre-determined scoring system for most things like awards, evals, education, etc. The rest of the package is looked at later by another group that scores the rest of the package and makes the selections (this information can be found elsewere on this site).

Big picture, the board considers the overall person, not just certain aspects of the package. Therefore, it is possible to be a "contender" even if you may not have smoked your boards. There are a number of reasons for having the Chief's mess rank applicants, some make sense and some don't. If the case happens to be the Skipper was new, or just busy, then the Chief's mess would probably have the best idea of a particular applicant's strengths and weaknesses. Could this lead to some skewed rankings? Sure it could...but not likely. Chief's are charged with training junior officers and by default should have a pretty good idea of who would make a good one.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

^ Not entirely true. I had one of my officers from my command put all 8's down. Every other sheet was firewalled 10's, so maybe they just kind of threw that one out, I'm sure it didn't help me, but it didn't hurt me overall either.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
smirnoff said:
If you want to be a contender you need all 10's on your Interview sheets...
If you wanna be a made man, then that helps. But everyone who meets all wickets is at least a contender.
smirnoff said:
... and to go number 1 in the rankings.
"1 of 1" is still #1, even if it was a marginally qualified package. "2 of 9" sounds pretty damn solid, even if not #1.
smirnoff said:
Chiefs should not be ranking you for an officers package.
You don't think your skipper is warranted in taking advice from the men and women who observe crew performance on a daily basis? Besides; they can give input, but the CO still has the blue pen.

OC/EMC

Big picture, the board considers the overall person, not just certain aspects of the package. Therefore, it is possible to be a "contender" even if you may not have smoked your boards. There are a number of reasons for having the Chief's mess rank applicants, some make sense and some don't. If the case happens to be the Skipper was new, or just busy, then the Chief's mess would probably have the best idea of a particular applicant's strengths and weaknesses. Could this lead to some skewed rankings? Sure it could...but not likely. Chief's are charged with training junior officers and by default should have a pretty good idea of who would make a good one.

To quote Samual A. Jackson ".....correct-a-mundo"

Besides, who puts down the billet recommendations on your eval if it isn't you our your LPO? I knew which of my guys would make great officers and which ones would do better as enlisted. It was part of my job.