• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Package Check and Stats discussion

cessnajet1h

Hi there all you guys
I just wonder if I can obtain my ASTB scores on my own, the Chief gave me some numbers but he was never too voluntairly to give me the info. so i am not so sure about my scores...........how can i obtain them?
anyone?

cessnajet1h

Ohhh dont worry about the last post, i found out how to order my scores from NAMI , but thanks everyone,
if you dont know how to, Go to NAMI website and it will tell you how to order your scores when you search for ASTB.....submitting my package for NFO soon....

BullGator

Competitive selection marks for naval aviator?

I took the ASTB Thursday Aug 21st and got a 58, 7,7,8. I want to know if you guys (that have been selected or have at least sent in a packet) think those ASTB scores are competive enough to get a pilot flight contract with the Navy, considering the following info.

I am a grad from UF with a B.S. in zoology (all premed courses included) with a 2.91 GPA. I had 2 jobs in the last 5 years, with my current (2.5yrs) working for my dad. I have done various community service over the last 9 years.

I have 6 LORs with one being an O6 Marine aviator. My recruiter said he will only send in 4-5 of the LORs. My only work reference is my dad (an O3 naval aviator who was nuclear ready).

Also, should I switch my choice of NFO (currently 2nd choice) to my third choice, and move Intell up to my 2nd choice in order to lessen the chance of only be chosen as an NFO (since I got an 8 in that grading)? If I don't get a pilot spot I am going to just reapply and reapply (taking the ASTB again, if necessary- don't want to screw up and get a lower score). Does the choice arrangement make a difference in my case?

If I had my choice I would write in 1. pilot 2. pilot 3. pilot. That wouldn't look good on my "openness" though. I am very open on what I fly, rotary or fixed-wing and what type, as long as I am flying and serving my country.

-edited: Thank you all for your input and great advice. I appreciate it.
I decided to call my recruiter to change my choices to pilot (deleting the NFO and Intell choices).
I will continue working on my PRT (as I should get in very athletic shape before OCS anyway), and send in my packet with a positive feeling (now reinforced). I would not give up if I didn't get my wish during the first selection board. I would just be delayed. I hope to see you all in the air soon. :)

gtg941f

pilot
I took the ASTB Thursday Aug 21st and got a 58, 7,7,8. I want to know if you guys (that have been selected or have at least sent in a packet) think those ASTB scores are competive enough to get a pilot flight contract with the Navy, considering the following info.

I am a grad from UF with a B.S. in zoology (all premed courses included) with a 2.91 GPA. I had 2 jobs in the last 5 years, with my current (2.5yrs) working for my dad. I have done various community service over the last 9 years.

I have 6 LORs with one being an O6 Marine aviator. My recruiter said he will only send in 4-5 of the LORs. My only work reference is my dad.

Also, should I switch my choice of NFO (currently 2nd choice) to my third choice, and move Intell up to my 2nd choice in order to lessing the chance of only be choosen as an NFO (since I got an 8 in that grading)? If I don't get a pilot spot I am going to just reapply and reapply (taking the ASTB again, if necessary- don't want to screw up and get a lower score). Does the choice arrangement make a difference in my case?

If I had my choice I would write in 1. pilot 2. pilot 3. pilot. That wouldn't look good on my "openness" though.

Why not apply only SNA? I know on my application that's all I put.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Great scores.
Your GPA is low, as was mine. Luckily for you (and me) they look at the whole person, as you'll see all over this site.

If your heart is set on pilot, put SNA and SNA only. I put SNA 1st and SNFO 2nd (no 3rd choice on my app). I was going to let the Navy choose which they wanted me to do because I was happy with either, and the Navy offered me both so I got SNA. FWIW, my PFAR was 1 point lower than my FOFAR.

Apply. I know how it is wanting to gauge your chances before you apply, but in the end making a thread about it won't affect your chances (do as I say though, not as I do...) :D

BullGator

Great scores.
Your GPA is low, as was mine. Luckily for you (and me) they look at the whole person, as you'll see all over this site.

If your heart is set on pilot, put SNA and SNA only. I put SNA 1st and SNFO 2nd (no 3rd choice on my app). I was going to let the Navy choose which they wanted me to do because I was happy with either, and the Navy offered me both so I got SNA. FWIW, my PFAR was 1 point lower than my FOFAR.

Apply. I know how it is wanting to gauge your chances before you apply, but in the end making a thread about it won't affect your chances (do as I say though, not as I do...) :D
Heh, good points. Thank you for the personal info in relation to me. That is a relief. I was hoping to do better on my ASTB.

My deal is that I still need to take the PRT (could be as far as a month before I can get a medium low mark), so I still have time to fiddle with my application.

BullGator

...checks my "public profile".....yes, I have been ;)
Awesome. That settles the NFO part: I'm gonna talk to my recruiter tomorrow about it and emphasize my desire to pilot an airplane as apposed to fly in any capacity necessary (eg. NFO included. I just choose the Intell option because I figured I wouldn't get that, for some reason).

BadgerNavy

I just got selected SNA and had 7/8/8/58 scores. Like you my GPA wasn't necessarily my strongest point, but like others have said they look at the whole package. I'm here to tell you though that you're in pretty good shape...

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Heh, good points. Thank you for the personal info in relation to me. That is a relief. I was hoping to do better on my ASTB.

My deal is that I still need to take the PRT (could be as far as a month before I can get a medium low mark), so I still have time to fiddle with my application.
You need good low. Get pushing!

You don't need the PRT for pro rec. Only for final select. Or at least I didn't do my PRT until between those two things.
Best of luck!

BullGator

:)
Thanks gtg941, Badger and Picaroon.

I know once I'm in I will do great in every step of the way. Just wish I took my college GPA more seriously at the time. Oh well, what's done is done.

Now to work harder on the PRTs (stupidly took the last week off thinking that may help with energy to study. Don't think it mattered but setting me back a week).

BullGator

You need good low. Get pushing!

You don't need the PRT for pro rec. Only for final select. Or at least I didn't do my PRT until between those two things.
Best of luck!
Thank you.
My recruiter is set on me doing the PRT before I send in my packet. I've heard it's not necessary, but what can I do besides try and send the packet myself I guess. Looks like I am shooting for the Oct boards if I need my PRT.

Allyoucaneat,

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago...always wanted to be a pilot, would be happy to be an NFO if not selected for SNA but really want that SNA slot above all. Are scores are almost identical. I got a 7/7/9 56. I think you just need to go somewhere quiet and reflect. If you can see yourself as an NFO, then by all means apply for SNA and SNFO. But, on the other hand, if you think "nah, I dont want to take a back seat to the pilot. I only want to be the pilot, then you've answered your own question. Personally, I am only applying for SNA. If I am not selected I'll wait six months and reapply for SNA as well as SNFO and Intel. The reason I'm not putting SNFO and Intel the first time around is that I don't want to screw myself out of a chance to be an NFO or Intel officer. Generally, if a board selects you and you reject you don't get a second shot at it. So think carefully about what you really want to do (where can you really envision yourself when you dream about the next 8 to 10 yeas of your life). Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I too am only going for SNA, mainly because I don't want to take the pro-rec of someone with their heart set on NFO, just to end up declining it. I've read many guys that just put 1 choice, I don't think the board really sees that as a bad thing. The way I look at it, they understand you're signing up to do this for at least the next 10 or so years of your life, you want to do something that will make you happy. For many people, including me, I don't just want to settle with something that I don't want.

And your scores are great, definitely what I would consider competitive. Good luck, i'll be going up in October as well!