• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN P-8's and The Boom

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Supermarine Scimitar..............I cheated and looked it up.

air-Scimitar-3.jpg

Here is one, tanking from an A-3!

jmcquate

Contributor
The Brits do have a certain flair for naming their aircraft.
scim·i·tar
ˈsimədər,ˈsiməˌtär/
noun
  1. a short sword with a curved blade that broadens toward the point, used originally in Eastern countries.

STOVLer

pilot
I wonder if LO aircraft + drogue refueling == world's most expensive basket slap . . .

Yes it does, and the refueling door that covers the probe is LO treated as well. A small nick or gouge that might be negligible in 4th gen is a huge headache. Makes for lengthy repairs after a day at the BDA.

jmcquate

Contributor
I bet the Air Force has the same issues. Take a look at the dents on the nose of an A-10.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes it does, and the refueling door that covers the probe is LO treated as well. A small nick or gouge that might be negligible in 4th gen is a huge headache. Makes for lengthy repairs after a day at the BDA.
Somewhere, some poor bastard will be the first Aircraft DivO to be in charge of F-35 airframes and corrosion control at sea. Thankfully, I've already had that job, and it won't be me.

STOVLer

pilot
There is no W/C 12C in F-35 - NAMP waiver. It is not assessed to have significant corrosion issues simply due to the material and how it is treated- but I concede it also hasn't spent more than a few weeks at sea at a time.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
There is no W/C 12C in F-35 - NAMP waiver. It is not assessed to have significant corrosion issues simply due to the material and how it is treated- but I concede it also hasn't spent more than a few weeks at sea at a time.

I assume you're being serious here or did I miss some massive sarcasm? If that's the case... woah.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back to the P-8 tanking... Why was this airframe mod thought necessary? Is this something VP will train to - nuggets learn to do it at -30 - and maintain currency? Or is this a 'nice to have if we need it' capability?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
There are certain missions and equipment configurations that'll require AR. As for training, that's being worked out right now.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For that matter, isn't that plumbing available on the E-2D, or am I mixing that up with something else?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back to the P-8 tanking... Why was this airframe mod thought necessary? Is this something VP will train to - nuggets learn to do it at -30 - and maintain currency? Or is this a 'nice to have if we need it' capability?

There are certain missions and equipment configurations that'll require AR. As for training, that's being worked out right now.

With the USAF tanker fleet stretched as it is they will be limited as to how much they can support the Navy in addition to their current tasking. The Navy does have the advantage of likely looking at it as an exception to the rule necessary for a few particular missions instead of the norm for most missions like the USAF.

For that matter, isn't that plumbing available on the E-2D, or am I mixing that up with something else?

Yes, for drogue refueling.

Hawkeye-aerial-refueling-system.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The E-2D is using basket fueling like other carrier aircraft. The narwhal memes are coming.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, P8 AR won't be the norm but for certain scenarios. Again, a lot of it is being worked out right now.

Also, it's not necessarily a mod, all birds have it and it's based off the Wedgetail system (Aussie 737).