• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-8 Poseidon's Exanding Mission Set

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
To the OP - new toys are good; more mission sets are typically disliked. We already do too many things with too few people/training hours. We currently are responsible in some fashion for ASW, ASUW, ISAR, Mine Warfare, SAR/HADR, and some other stuff I wont mention. Each of those takes a shit ton of time and effort to be come good at. The LRASM Brett mentioned would help with a current mission set. We don't need to slap an AMRAAM on the plane...

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
To the OP - new toys are good; more mission sets are typically disliked. We already do too many things with too few people/training hours. We currently are responsible in some fashion for ASW, ASUW, ISAR, Mine Warfare, SAR/HADR, and some other stuff I wont mention. Each of those takes a shit ton of time and effort to be come good at. The LRASM Brett mentioned would help with a current mission set. We don't need to slap an AMRAAM on the plane...
ISAR is a radar mode that is useful in the SUW mission.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JSOW maybe? Although I doubt that would at any point be useful at least from a completely not knowledgeable idiot's perspective.
JSOW, at least the C1 variant, isn’t great in the Maritime environment in terms of range, or for moving targets.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Trying to ensure MAC proficiency and currency has proven a total failure, and AAS is insane. I just got AAS qualified and I'm struggling to not suck at it. I feel so bad for our brand new level 300s who are trying to balance just getting good at our core mission sets and then getting good at this too.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LSRS replacement for P-8, but instead of having dedicated people for the mission, it's being thrust on the squadrons in addition to everything else.

Mos

None
I feel so bad for our brand new level 300s who are trying to balance just getting good at our core mission sets and then getting good at this too.
Welcome to the reality that P-3 crews have been living with for the past decade.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Totally different. P-3 TACCOs in the squadron didn't qualify as TOs on LSRS, nor did the AWs qualify SO. That's what is happening with AAS.