• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3s--What's the community like?

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
so for example if i enter into ocs early 2009, would that put me on a path to maybe get p-8's? or is that still too early??

I would rephrase your question as "would that put me on a path to maybe get VP?"

Your selection will not be airframe-based but community-based. If the ouija board of community selection tilts in your favor toward props/maritime...maybe.

Assuming the P-8 program does not appreciably slide to the right (all caveats regarding what happens when you assume apply)...maybe.
Again...it depends upon which squadron to which you are assigned and the airframe transition date for said squadron.

If you make the VP Navy a career (JO tour / DH tour)...then yes, unless the P-8 program gets canx'd, you will (in the NATOPS sense of will) at some point crew up in a Poseiden.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
You flew with the air force via joint training. I think everyone knows what I mean based on the context of my post.

Bottom line: Navy says 2012, but means 2020.

It's still an incorrect statement. What is supposed to be in the fleet in 2012, and who told you it won't be until 2020?

sobchak-781317.jpg

Donny, please.

billiken2002

pilot
Nozeman, you DO live right near the In-and-Out Burger....those are good burgers, Walter

Back to the thread origin. I have heard several guys just checking in to VP-30 say that they are going to fly the P-8. I don't know if bad gouge is floating around Corpus or not. It's going to be awhile before anyone flies the P-8. I would say if you are in API/Primary now, you WILL at least start off in the P-3.

The first P-8 is being built right now, which has to be tested by Boeing, then tested by Pax River, both as an aircraft and as mission capable (i.e can it fly low and do all the sensors work correctly and together, etc...) Then the Navy has to develop training syllabuses (or syllabi???) for everyone on board (what does a student out of flight school need to learn about the P-8 before they can move to the fleet?) Then you have to train everyone, which will not happen overnight. It will be squadron by squadron, as they come back from deployment.

Again, only speaking as a No-P right now, this is what I have gathered from VP-30.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Plus, the first guys to transition to the P-8 will probably senior members of the community and not fresh guys out of advanced. Not to say you won't fly it, it just won't be right away.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Plus, the first guys to transition to the P-8 will probably senior members of the community and not fresh guys out of advanced. Not to say you won't fly it, it just won't be right away.

I thought they took guys all across the spectrum (newly winged to senior) when bringing out a new aircraft? Is this incorrect?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I don't know exactly, but from most of the talk I've heard from IPs that's probably what would happen. You need instructors before you can have students.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought they took guys all across the spectrum (newly winged to senior) when bringing out a new aircraft? Is this incorrect?

That's how they're doing the G transition - new JGs to front office. You can't have a squadron with nothing but senior people in it - squadrons don't work that way.

@ XJ: That's what the FIT is for. They'll train a cadre of people to be the first RAG instructors for the new airframe. This is probably already underway in some sense at VP-30. Right now at VAQ-129, the FIT guys have one G and two Fs to train with. That side of the squadron (the G side) will have to be certified "safe for flight" in the new airframe before they start to train people. This cert applies to all the maintenance programs as well as the aircrew. This milestone will have to be accomplished by each transitioning squadron. I suspect a similar model will be used with the P-8.

Brett

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
That's what the FIT is for. They'll train a cadre of people to be the first RAG instructors for the new airframe. This is probably already underway in some sense at VP-30.

Brett

Yep, a couple of the IPs I knew at 30 were part of the FIT team. I don't know all the details, but I believe they were starting to learn how to fly a 737 in some capacity (I know they had a few 737s there in Jax; not sure if it was the FIT flying them, or if they were going to send the FIT someplace else to learn to fly the 737). Don't know much on the details; hopefully someone else is around here does.

I realize that most of this is up to timing and luck, but what do you senior guys think I could do to put myself in a position to become a P-8 instructor at 30? That is my ultimate goal at this point--if I don't make it because of timing or what have you, well, so be it, but if there's something I can do, I'd like to know.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, a couple of the IPs I knew at 30 were part of the FIT team. I don't know all the details, but I believe they were starting to learn how to fly a 737 in some capacity (I know they had a few 737s there in Jax; not sure if it was the FIT flying them, or if they were going to send the FIT someplace else to learn to fly the 737). Don't know much on the details; hopefully someone else is around here does.

I realize that most of this is up to timing and luck, but what do you senior guys think I could do to put myself in a position to become a P-8 instructor at 30? That is my ultimate goal at this point--if I don't make it because of timing or what have you, well, so be it, but if there's something I can do, I'd like to know.

If you want to be able to pick your orders, several things will need to happen. You need to meet the requirements of being an FRS Instructor. For most communities, that means being the #1 EP in your 1st fleet tour.

Now that you have orders to the FRS, you have to show them that you are one of the best pilots they could choose to be a P-8 instructor. You have already started on that one...It will be based on your reputation on the sea wall. Are you recognized as a pilot who "knows his shit?". Were you a Pilot NATOPS O in your fleet squadron? Did you get plenty of hours (mishap free) to justify the rep? Can the CO believe in YOU?

Oh, and even if you do all of that, it will come down to timing and needs of the Navy... :D

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None

Work with what you know. Your profile says you're on the road to NASWI, which I take to mean you are checking in shortly. For the sake of argument, let's say you officially check in on 01 Oct 2008.

Check-in VP-46: Oct 08
Check-out VP-46: Oct 11 (3 year tour...timing depends on final FITREP)
Report to VP-30: Nov 11
IOC of P-8: 2013 (According to open source reporting)
Check-out VP-30: May 14 (2.5 year shore tour)

If P-8 IOC is 2013 (or earlier if they can accelerate the line), then VP-30 should be instructing in the Poseiden prior to that timeframe...let's say around 2011. Your timing looks promising...the question is whether it will be "normal" instructors flying the P-8 during your FRS tour or if it will still be FIT bubbas.

So...control what you can control. Your best course of action is to perform at VP-46, establish an excellent community reputation as a pilot and as a ground officer, qualify early and make it known that you want to be an IP. The senior officers aren't mind-readers...don't be afraid to ask for something.

Final note...understand who it is in the squadron that will recommend you as an IP...and it's generally not your JO buddy. While I will never advocate brown nosing the DHs and the front office...certain JOPA activities can work against you...work hard, be professional and be approachable.

Your DHs and front offices are all people and are therefore just as guilty of subjective analysis as anyone else you meet...you might be the best pilot in the entire world, but if your DH can't find you when you're not flying or you pointlessly antagonize your superiors...well...you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar is all I'm saying.

Good luck with the Grey Knights.