• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3 vs EP-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Can answer a few questions-

There is no "EP-3 FRS"... you'll class up at VP-30 with a bunch of VP guys. Everyone goes through the same syllabus to a point (basically until tactics), then the VQ guys break off and finish up about 2 months sooner. Classes start every 6-8 weeks... just depends when your winging is how much time you have off. Plan on 5-6 months in JAX.

I am about 6 weeks into the VP syllabus, we have one guy going to Rota, he's been told he'll be there for at least a little while. I know some VQ NFO types selected Rota in July time frame, the general feeling is maybe 2006-2007... but then they've been talking about this for a couple years now. (the only officialy word is you have orders to Rota, plan on spending a tour in Rota. no telling for how long)

About the only thing I can say about advanced sere is you'll go before reporing to VQ-1 or VQ-2.

Don't know much about housing, other than my Whidbey-bound friends are finding it expensive to either rent or buy. (If you're single you'll need a roomate)

Good Luck!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok, first thought, VQ = fags (come on Flash, where ya at?). Just kidding, lots of rivalry between VP and VQ, but we all hate jerry's kids.

I honestly don't know if VQ is as hurting as VP is right now with overmanning, my guess is that they are in the same boat. Hey, dirty vegas, you have any insight from being up at whidbey?

But I can say that going to a community job there in Whidbey will not hurt you for the long road, career wise. You are going to make O4, just depends on if you screen for DH. YG95-00 is hurting right now, the recent VP DH screen was less than 30%.

It is VITAL that you make Mission Commander on your first tour, and if at all possible make Instructor Pilot, or Instructor TACCO for the NFOs. That way you have all the wickets met. Timing in the squadron sometimes works against you, so many JOs, and not enough instructor training slots.

ip568

None
Several Factors

There are several things to keep in mind.

For one, P-3s are combat aircraft. They not only search, they drop a whole boatload of weapons, and the maneuvers involved can be hard on a crew after a few hours. Doing a MAD trap comes at the end of, say, an eight hour onsta time, and you then go into continuous 60-degree bank, 2-G turns. Sounds easy until you do it while you're running back and forth from the TACCOs station to the cockpit for 30 minues while you and your gear suddenly total about 400 pounds. Try off-loading and then re-loading an entire serach load of bouys and other stores on a ramp in a place like Vietnam where it's 130 in the sun and you have 20 minutes, then fly an 11 hour mission with the EDC down (no air conditioning) and you'll suddenly understand the O and C courses at Pensacola.

Two, the P-3C is going to be replaced by the MMA (go to my site for a lot of background info at http://www.navlog.org) beginning about 2012. Entirely different airplane, so you can plan on having to retrain half-way through your 20 years.

Three, the EP-3E is wholly different and flies completely differently. They are spook birds who spend their time high and quiet, collecting signals. Entirely different. Much more sedate but still hi-intensity flights headwork-wise, and always the chance of another stupid bastard like that Chinese pilot trying to see how close he can come to a propeller.

Four, and yes, the EP-3E is also going away, to be replaced by a joint Navy-Army aircraft based upon the Embauer RJ-145.

Both VP and VQ involve a lot of air time and a lot of travel (which I loved). You will see far more of the world than will any tacair guy, who spends his six month deployment in his airplane or in a small cabin full of JP fumes. On one VP deployment during Vietnam we flew out of Japan and Vietnam and also spent time in Thailand, Taiwan, Okinawa, Midway, and other places. It's the way to fly Navy.

ip568@charter.net

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, first thought, VQ = fags

Your just jealous because, uhhh..........I can't think of something right now but I will soon!

YG95-00 is hurting right now, the recent VP DH screen was less than 30%.

I thought it was closer to 50%. VQ is not hurting as bad, around 80% for DH (though I know some really good guys who got screwed, they decided to fly for their disassociated instead of shooting planes of the boat).

Can somebody give me a little info on Advanced SERE? What does it consist of comapared to regular SERE, where is it located, how long is it, and when do you go?

It really is not that bad, I thought it was some of the best training I ever got in the military. You really will not find out a lot about it because people who have gone through it cannot talk about it, you actually sign a piece of paper saying that. Don't worry about it now, cross that bridge when you get to it.

I have read several posts regarding housing (non-govt) in Whidbey and have already begun looking at real estate in the area. But can someone tell me what areas most people live in and what is/are the farthest area(s) within 30 minutes of NAS? Also, is anybody aware of any newer construction homes within LTJG pay?

Most people live in Oak Harbor, within 5-10 mintues of base. There is plenty of housing, they are building new houses a steady pace, and you can afford it on a LTJG pay. You just have to be smart with your money. There is a large minority that live in Anacortes which is about 20 mintues to the north. It is a little more expensive but a little bigger and less of a Navy town. There are a few who live elsewhere but that is spread out a bit.

As for the great question of VQ-2 moving, they keep pushing it back. I imagine it will happen sooner or later, it makes sense for VQ.

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
smittyrunr said:
There is no "EP-3 FRS"... you'll class up at VP-30 with a bunch of VP guys. Everyone goes through the same syllabus to a point (basically until tactics), then the VQ guys break off and finish up about 2 months sooner. Classes start every 6-8 weeks... just depends when your winging is how much time you have off. Plan on 5-6 months in JAX.
So, since I will only be there for that short of a time period, is it still a PCS move to Jax?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Flash said:
Your just jealous because, uhhh..........I can't think of something right now but I will soon!
LOL, don't work to hard at that, don't won't you to have a brain embolism or something.

Flash said:
YG95-00 is hurting right now, the recent VP DH screen was less than 30%.

I thought it was closer to 50%. VQ is not hurting as bad, around 80% for DH (though I know some really good guys who got screwed, they decided to fly for their disassociated instead of shooting planes of the boat).
My bust, I looked at the brief again, it was 45% selection rate across Pilot and NFO. But when you break down the stats (all EPs, all MCs, etc) gets dismal.

Status
Not open for further replies.