• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3 Fleet Squadrons

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Since the search feature insists on excluding P-3 due to it being so common on this site, I have to make a new thread to answer an easy question: Where are all the possible fleet VPs and VQs located? I think the FRS is JAX, but where after that? Thanks

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VP: Jax Fl, Brunswick Maine, Whidbey Island WA, K-bay Hawaii

VQ: Whidbey Island

Swmtb

Sneakin'
What's the time-line for Brunswick closing down? I'm about to start FO primary, and I'm thinking I'd like to go for P-3s...is there any point/chance of going to Maine?

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
Rumor here is 2009 or so they'll start to move the squadrons down to Jax. If you got a Brunswick squadron, you may spend a portion of your tour in Maine, then relocate to Jax for the remainder of your tour. Squadrons typically relocate while on deployment, so if that's the case they'll each move at separate times.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
jg5343, did I miss something? Have you selected P3s perhaps? :D

I am going to an upcoming P3 conference, so I will see what information is out there, but I would imagine you bubbas at the FRS or in Fleet squadrons are more up to speed than I am.

ip568

None
Brunswick will close. K-Bay will probably close. Expect two VP bases: JAX and WHIDBEY, each with two squadrons of P-8s, plus FRS at JAX. Maybe a total of 50 fleet P-8s by 2019/end of the P-3C.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
webmaster said:
jg5343, did I miss something? Have you selected P3s perhaps? :D

I am going to an upcoming P3 conference, so I will see what information is out there, but I would imagine you bubbas at the FRS or in Fleet squadrons are more up to speed than I am.

YEP! P-3s for me!

Anyone know how long til the MMA is operational.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
jg5343 said:
YEP! P-3s for me!

Anyone know how long til the MMA is operational.

2013 I think is the target date to have a squadron fully up and online.

BTW, Whidbey ROCKS!!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
Brunswick will close. K-Bay will probably close. Expect two VP bases: JAX and WHIDBEY, each with two squadrons of P-8s, plus FRS at JAX. Maybe a total of 50 fleet P-8s by 2019/end of the P-3C.

K-Bay will close or the VPs will leave it?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
K-Bay will close or the VPs will leave it?
VP is only one of many tennant commands/missions at Kbay. IF down the road VP was to reconsolidate, the base would still be there for the 53s and 60s (aviation side).

I just wonder as a community how this is supposed to work. I sat through a "what if" brief back in my squadron a couple years ago, talking about centralizing VP, but the BIG counterpush was that we effectively would do away with a slew of CO/XO slots (squadrons) if the community went that route. Also, some talk about doing "away" with the deployed squadron rotation, and instead have det forward positions. Yada yada yada, I am sure there are a million and one other "what if" scenarios out there and the ppl that put them together got their respective NAM or NCM or whatever.

Bottom line, 2019 is a LONG way away. I think it is a given that you are going to see some dramatic shifts with a new airframe coming online. The main thing, the missions and need for MPRA are still there (I see it on a daily basis doing my job), it is just a question of how many P8s are going to be purchased, and how long they are going to keep the P3s flying during the transition.

navy05

Are P-3's still a dead-end community to select from? Do you barely get to log any flight time every week or are the aging airframes getting fixed faster? What are the chances of retiring as a commander without command?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
On Deployment? If so, what are the average hrs people are getting during the months when they aren't deployed?