• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3 Duty Station: Jax, Hawaii, Whidbey?

Rg9

pilot
I did some searching and couldn't find any previous discussion of this so sorry if I missed it:

I'm getting winged in a couple weeks and need to put down what I want for my first duty station. Unfortunately, we don't find out what we get until we've been in Jax for a bit, although they need the info now. I have a wife and 2 dogs and we're leaning Jacksonville, but Hawaii's been sounding nice recently.

Advice?

(Yes, Brunswick is still an option, but not a very appealing one as they'd be moving everything to Jax while I would be there.)

P3 F0

None
You really can't go wrong with Jax if you ask me, although personally I think Florida is a bit boring. I've only spent time in Hawaii for a few days here and there, but I think living there wouldn't be as nice as it seems--traveling from Hickam to Waikiki is like going through one huge slum. Not sure about the K-bay side of the island. Also, if you're thinking about Hawaii, I'd start following the Hawaii pet import checklist. If you wait until the last minute, you may wind up quarantining your pets for a few months.

Why not Whidbey? The PNW is great.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Why not Whidbey? The PNW is great.

I'll second that - especially with dogs. Don't get too wrapped around the axle about where you go though, needs of the fleet will dictate where you go and there are awesome things about every location. I'm walking around VP-30 these days, so feel free to ask me about Whidbey.

FOG

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
This was stolen from it's author without permission to reproduce, so what, you wanna fight about it? :)

HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII.... Nuff said

ZAB1001 writes:

Hey look! Another Private Orion thread!

As tempted as I am to slam other locations (Whidbey, Maine, Jax), I thought it would be more constructive to post some info about being stationed in Kaneohe Bay, in Oahu. Anyone else out there from another location, do the same for your area, these new guys need some info. Webmaster and Eagle32, I await your inputs and insults...

Who is located at Marine Corps Base Hawaii? Well, obviously, the USMC. You get over that after about 2 weeks. No one hassles you, and it's funny watching 2LT's salute LTJGs. Squadrons? The VP-9 Golden Eagles (YOU KNOW IT!), VP-4 Skinny Dragons, and VP-47 Golden Swordsmen

What is it like to fly/live there? Come on dude! It's HAWAII. 95% of the time the weather is GORGEOUS. In 2 years of homecycles, I had to cancel for weather ONCE. You'll be flying throughout the islands and will get plenty of time to see it all from the air. Weekends, it's pretty easy to get a commercial flight to one of the other islands for a reasonable price. Most married folks live on base or in military housing on the island. Single folks generally fall into two categories; partiers who live in the Waikiki/Honolulu areas (southeast side of the island), or the quieter ones who prefer to be close to Kbay in private housing nearby one of the gates. Obviously, weekend activities run the gamut from surfing (or attempting to, I suck), all the typical beach stuff, diving, fishing, golf (Eagle32 can vouch), hiking, or drinking 'til they look good at Duke's on a Sunday afternoon (my personal favorite).

There's a lot of bum gouge out there about "oh it sucks because you get island fever". Thats crap. If you stay at home and do nothing, anyplace is gonna be lame. There's always a det to go on, leave to be taken, etc. And I will say it again IT'S HAWAII.

Anyway, this is just to have a thread in here for guys/gals considering Hawaii to post questions/concerns and hopefully find an answer. In the spirit of keeping threads in line, lets try to keep it 'Island Style'. If you wanna post about another location, just start a separate thread. Aloha.

Marine Corps Base Hawaii official site
http://www.mcbh.usmc.mil/

Commander Patrol and Reconnasiance, Wing Two
http://www.cprfp.navy.mil/

VP-9
http://www.nol.navy.mil/homepages/vp9/

VP-4
http://www.nol.navy.mil/homepages/vp4/

VP-47
http://www.nol.navy.mil/homepages/vp-47/

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've only spent time in Hawaii for a few days here and there, but I think living there wouldn't be as nice as it seems--traveling from Hickam to Waikiki is like going through one huge slum. Not sure about the K-bay side of the island.

Not a P-3 guy, but the above is just plain wrong. Yeah, I know, like you said, you've only been there a few days, but everything is over at K-Bay now and there is no real slum on that side of the island. There's some ghetto areas in Kaneohe, but there's plenty of other places to live w/in 20 minutes or less of the base (and it's 20 minutes because the speed limit is slow and the road into Kbay is long, not because it's very far).

A4's quote of Zab's summation is right on, IMO. I miss it daily and would love to go back.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
A4's quote of Zab's summation is right on, IMO. I miss it daily and would love to go back.

A4's?? How dare you hold me in such high regard!:D The "Bold" was stuck on when I cut and paste... He's often imitated, never duplicated... Kiss ass points anyone???

BourneID

pilot
Well if you do lean towards JAX, but are discouraged about Maine becuase of the move, I wouldn't be, just GEO BAch it up there until you get back to JAX. SOunds like a bad deal, but if you are the only guy willing to go to Brunswick, you just secured yourself a JAX squadron, it just might take a little longer. my .02

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Also, if you're thinking about Hawaii, I'd start following the Hawaii pet import checklist. If you wait until the last minute, you may wind up quarantining your pets for a few months.

Seconded. Check this out for more info. I'd also recommend staying away from the vets at NAS Jax; they may be cheap, but their customer service blows (it took my roommate three weeks to set up an appointment, and they didn't even tell him all the correct steps he had to follow in the link above) and I seriously thought they were going to kill my cats trying to draw blood on them.

P3 F0

None
Not a P-3 guy, but the above is just plain wrong. Yeah, I know, like you said, you've only been there a few days, but everything is over at K-Bay now and there is no real slum on that side of the island.
Wasn't trying to spread bad gouge, just offering what I'd seen--that's why I qualified it by saying I hadn't seen the other side of the island. You have to admit, though, that outside of Waikiki in Honolulu, it's a bit nasty. Now, if I could afford to live in Waikiki, I'd be in heaven.

Oh yeah--Don't think I've ever been on K-bay, but if it's anything as nice as Hickam, then that'd be a big plus. I wouldn't mind driving onto a base that nice every day.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I'm just a mid (only for another couple months) but personally I love Whidbey. I'm a skier though, so that's a big factor.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I second NUW.... I was a brat growing up and lived all over the country, but the NW is where it's at for me. I wish I could go back tomorrow. Someday I will.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh yeah--Don't think I've ever been on K-bay, but if it's anything as nice as Hickam, then that'd be a big plus. I wouldn't mind driving onto a base that nice every day.

I'd guess it's not quite as nice as Hickham since you have the Marines there (have you seen their Q? <shudder>). I've only been on Hickham a few times (once I was dropped off by a RHIB) and it seemed nice w/ a good exchange. I just like the windward side better.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Jax is where the mafia is. It's also where the P-8 will be fleet intro'd.
Just sayin'....

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Whidbey is where the cool kids go.

But, if you wana be lame, I hear HI is nice.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are single, go to Hawaii. And this is from someone who was stationed at Whidbey for 5 years. That place can fall off the face of the earth for all I care! :eek:

Jax is where the mafia is. It's also where the P-8 will be fleet intro'd.
Just sayin'....

Sorry, but who cares? All I heard about from a couple of prior AW's in flgiht school was 'VP mafia' this and 'P-3 mafia' that. They were all hard up about going to Jax, and yet they did no better or worse than their contemporaries elsewhere.

Just sayin.......;)