• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OV-10 Bronco

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
For one reason or another, I thought they were deployed on LPHs too. The short wingspan was meant to fit into narrow, unimproved strips cut out of forests and jungles, but fitting on the straight deck of an aviation amphib/gator freighter was a pretty obvious requirement too.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
For one reason or another, I thought they were deployed on LPHs too. The short wingspan was meant to fit into narrow, unimproved strips cut out of forests and jungles, but fitting on the straight deck of an aviation amphib/gator freighter was a pretty obvious requirement too.
Some did but they were craned off the deck.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

jmcquate

Contributor
Specific aircraft built for a specific mission, SEA COIN. Never understood why the Corps deployed them to Desert Storm. were they really needed for FAC-A, that I assume they were there. Or was the Corps trying to get as many assets in the AOA as possible?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Specific aircraft built for a specific mission, SEA COIN. Never understood why the Corps deployed them to Desert Storm. were they really needed for FAC-A, that I assume they were there. Or was the Corps trying to get as many assets in the AOA as possible?

This talks a bit about the logistical problem of getting what they could there. I think it was basically “send what we can”. Would be an absolute shit show today.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Don’t know about USS America taking OV-10s but we had a shitload on the TR. They deck launched in the eastern Med and flew to Saudi right before we transited the Suez Canal on our way to the Gulf. I think we had 2 squadrons worth.
I was there with you Hal and witnessed launch. I believe some also launched just after Gibraltar and flew to Rota and then to KSA..

BarryD

Contributor
Now I'm the one who has to do the research...I thought ferry via L-class and CV with a WWII style running takeoff was the answer! ?
Whoops, now I see I misread your initial post. I was searching exclusively for how VMO-2's got to the Gulf. When I looked at the Wikipedia article and saw "VMO-2 made aviation news by launching six OV-10's on an unprecedented 16,000 km (10,000 mi) journey to Saudi Arabia in support of Operation Desert Shield" I figured that was the trivia you were hinting at.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was there with you Hal and witnessed launch. I believe some also launched just after Gibraltar and flew to Rota and then to KSA..
It could very well have been then. Long time ago.

Were you in the HS squadron?

VMO4

This talks a bit about the logistical problem of getting what they could there. I think it was basically “send what we can”. Would be an absolute shit show today.

That was a fascinating read, I was just starting my third year of law school, and was winding down what I thought was the last months of my IRR contract, after not drilling for several years. While I considered VMO-4 my unit, we were somewhat of a composite with HMA-773 at NAS Atlanta, and maintainers where used interchangeably. My phone never rang. I know the skids went to a boat and spent the war going in circles off the coast of Kuwait. That pub said VMO-4 went to New River. Thanks.

Misanthropic

buddy of mine from VT-86, Hank Spellacy, flew OV-10s, we winged together. he was shot down and killed in Desert Storm on the second day.

had two kids, his third was born the day after he was shot down. he was a good shit. Semper Fi
Great guy. He was my class leader in basic NFO.