• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Outside of flying, what responsibilities do NFOs/pilots have?

wonderb0iwl

I've been reading some threads to learn more about what they do and someone gave some examples, although the thread was really old. "Legal Officer, AIO, AIS, CSD, Line Officer, Power Plants Officer, Strike Officer, Tactics Officer, Pubs Officer, Hosting Officer, ESO."

So on top of being a pilot/nfo and respective paperwork you're also doing another job? Are you randomly assigned to do a job, do you go to more schooling to do them?

And besides that, as an officer you have to apparently make sure your own troops are doing fine. How does this usually go? Are you like a manager or advisor to them?

And do NFOs have any "ground" responsibilities that pilots don't have or vice versa? I heard that pilots have to do stuff like scheduling?

Personally I wouldn't mind any extra responsibilities, I'm just curious.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Answers from a former VFA guy, now out:
I've been reading some threads to learn more about what they do and someone gave some examples, although the thread was really old. "Legal Officer, AIO, AIS, CSD, Line Officer, Power Plants Officer, Strike Officer, Tactics Officer, Pubs Officer, Hosting Officer, ESO."

So on top of being a pilot/nfo and respective paperwork you're also doing another job? Are you randomly assigned to do a job, do you go to more schooling to do them?
Yes. It's not random, it's assigned based on need and your experience level. Rotations are every 6-8 months on average, and are planned ahead of time, so you'll sometimes know what job you're going to have next. New JOs often start out in scheduling, as its a great way to interact with all departments and learn how the squadron works. Most ground jobs are in OPS (Scheduling, OPS Assistant), and Maintenance (DIVO, Branch-O, see next answer). A of JOs couple might serve in Admin, but that is usually reserved for a DH, Legal-O (needs extra school) and an Admin-O who is typically a career administration officer (CWO or LDO, prior enlisted).

You may have multiple duties, particularly if manning levels are low in the squadron.

And besides that, as an officer you have to apparently make sure your own troops are doing fine. How does this usually go? Are you like a manager or advisor to them?
JOs may be leaders as either division or branch officers, depending on the squadron and its manning level at the time. Branch-O is in charge of a shop, a DIVO is in charge of a small group of shops, generally within the maintenance department and reporting to the Maintenance Officer (MO), who is a department head in the squadron. In that position, you'll have one or multiple CPOs and LPOs working with you, and part of your job is to learn from them how a squadron functions. That includes dealing with personnel challenges, awards, and evaluations. It's a lot of paperwork, but should also involve a lot of face-time with your people. A properly-executed JO tour should involve at least one Division Officer position.

And do NFOs have any "ground" responsibilities that pilots don't have or vice versa? I heard that pilots have to do stuff like scheduling?

Ground jobs can generally be held by either warfare designator. I can't recall any non-flying duties that had to be a Pilot or a WSO, but sometimes squadron leadership will have a preference, to keep a mix of both pilots and WSOs in each department. Someone with two-seat fleet experience might have a more detailed answer.

[tl;dr] Your JO tour comes down to three things:
1.) How you are in the aircraft.
2.) How you conduct yourself in your ground duties.
3.) Your personality, ready room & bar act.

Have any two of those suitcased, and you'll probably be fine as long as you're passable at the third. Nail all three, and you'll be a rockstar.

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
And besides that, as an officer you have to apparently make sure your own troops are doing fine. Are you like a manager or advisor to them?

And do NFOs have any "ground" responsibilities that pilots don't have or vice versa?

As to the first part...YES. You won't tell them how to turn a wrench or whatever...but you'll make sure they get recognized for doing it well, or get them more training.

As to the second part: Seniority counts...I never met a "Movie Officer" who was a pilot in a multi-seat squadron. :)

As to the last: Don't be curious...you'll get extra responsibilities out the wazoo...

About the only job that is "pilot only" is LSO Trainee.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Ground jobs can generally be held by either warfare designator. I can't recall any non-flying duties that had to be a Pilot or a WSO, but sometimes squadron leadership will have a preference, to keep a mix of both pilots and WSOs in each department. Someone with two-seat fleet experience might have a more detailed answer.

From my one 2-seat fleet tour, it didn't seem like it mattered. But then again, 2-seat VFA honestly makes up jobs for JO's (and junior DH's)......unlike our experience as JO's in a chariot squadron

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
About the only job that is "pilot only" is LSO Trainee.

That's a good point; all LSOs are pilots, for reasons that become obvious when you first go to the Boat. LSOs don't get leniency with other ground job assignments either, but sometimes they get fewer watches (e.g. SDO) assigned while at sea, assuming squadron staffing levels aren't in the toilet.

In a single seat squadron at sea, an LSO may find themselves with 1-2 "wave days" (LSO duty day) per week, and one SDO day, especially if they're unlucky and the squadron is short a couple of JOs. So you could have 2-3 duty days per week, which only leaves 3-4 potential days to fly, with a couple ground jobs and studying for your next syllabus event to fill in the cracks in your non-existent spare time. Time management is key.

All that said, I got the impression the OP is an NFO in the making.

Last edited:

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
@sevenhelmet had an awesome break down. I’m a single seat dude in the F-35 world and our job flow is a little different since we are so mission planning heavy. The two Senior JOs usually are AOPS and the Mission Planning Officer (MP-1). There is a “track” of sorts which gets you into either of these positions (i.e. serving as the assistant missing planning officer earlier on in your JO tour.)

Otherwise, in your JO fleet tour, you can basically expect to have jobs in the three biggest areas of the squadron: operations (Skeds or AOPS), Maintenance (as a DIVO), or Safety (NATOPS or Assistant Safety O) / Mission Planning in the F-35 world.

Each has their own rewards and challenges, and often you will have two or three jobs at a time in very different areas. Essentially, the goals are to teach you how the squadron works, how to be a good leader, how to specialize in areas that your community cares about, and most importantly, how to prioritize and balance your tasks since time is usually the limiting factor.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Main departments for VP land are Ops, MX, Safety/Natops, training, and tactics.

Ops: mainly skeds writers, also have a FOPS JO to help with future planning.

MX: branch-O and DIVO jobs for the shops. A few ground officer billets for restricted line roles (gunner, AMO, MCO, SUPPO).

Safety/NATOPS: manages the ASO role, dedicated positions for pilot/NFO/aircrew natops officers. Log and track changes, updates pubs, administer NX when needed.

Training: easy on deployment, pain on homecycle. Track leads for PPC, TACCO, acoustic, and electronic aircrew specialities. Readiness officer manages quals for each of the crews and coordinates with the wing for evaluations.

Tactics: chill on homecycle, pain on deployment. Work with the weapons school to make sure everyone is tracking the maritime manuals, TAC-Ds, and other notes on SIPR and beyond as necessary. Exercise planners and coordinators.