• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Outboard over inboard or the other way??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borncreole

I have read two different ways that they make you lace your shoes so I am not sure which it its. Is it outboard over inboard or inboard over outboard. I also read that you begin the lace from under so there is no bridge. Any OCS grads wanna chim in and set the story straight... :confused:

lcaeagle913

pilot
Well, when I was there, it was the lace coming from the outside of the shoe needs to be over the lace coming from the inside of the shoe, so I guess that would make it outboard over inboard... But they may have changed it since then (class 10-02). So, I guess I've only added to the confusion. :eek:

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I wouldn't worry about it. When I was there, it was outboard over inboard. If you show up with them like that, a candidate officer might make you take your laces out, then them back just for spite. Showing up with them outboard over inboard shows that you may know too much.

DairyCreamer

Maybe, but there's also a significant chance that the guy who laced your shoes up when you bought them at the store put em out over in anyway and you didn't know or care. I would think it a faulty generalization that someone automatically "knows too much" if they have their shoes out over in when they get there. Obviously they can say whatever they want there... just making a point :)

~Nate

Thisguy said:
I wouldn't worry about it. When I was there, it was outboard over inboard. If you show up with them like that, a candidate officer might make you take your laces out, then them back just for spite. Showing up with them outboard over inboard shows that you may know too much.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
DairyCreamer said:
Maybe, but there's also a significant chance that the guy who laced your shoes up when you bought them at the store put em out over in anyway and you didn't know or care. I would think it a faulty generalization that someone automatically "knows too much" if they have their shoes out over in when they get there. Obviously they can say whatever they want there... just making a point :)

~Nate

Take a look at your sneakers. I just did. All of them were laced the same way by the guy at the store, meaning that one shoe was outboard over inboard, but the other one was inboard over outboard. And all of them used the loop at the bottom, which they don't use at OCS. It would be a huge coincidence if you showed up with both your shoes laced correctly.

DairyCreamer

My running shoes don't even have a loop at the bottom, and both are laced in over out. My regular shoes do use the loop, and both are out over in. My old running shoes (****ty support!) have the loop, but are both in over out.

That's just my shoes... 3 pair, 3 different. I'm sure there's enough of a random chance that the guy in the store doesn't give a crap about taking the time to lace the cute little loop, and by happenstance lace both out over in just by repetetion 10000 times from selling shoes.

Practically speaking, I bet there's a greater than 90% chance that at least one guy per OCS class comes in with his shoes out over in with no loop used, and simultaneously has no idea that it's a rule at OCS to have your shoes that way. I could do some statistical analysis on this if you want, but, I'm lazy, and it would take a couple months to develop a sufficient sample size to avoid error :icon_tong

~Nate

Thisguy said:
Take a look at your sneakers. I just did. All of them were laced the same way by the guy at the store, meaning that one shoe was outboard over inboard, but the other one was inboard over outboard. And all of them used the loop at the bottom, which they don't use at OCS. It would be a huge coincidence if you showed up with both your shoes laced correctly.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Fair enough. All I'll finish with this. Don't try to overload yourself with gouge beforehand. One, it ruins the experience, and two, OCS is constantly changing, so if you think you have the lowdown, they can throw you for a serious loop. You're better off not knowing anything, than knowing something that was true 3 years ago.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Fair enough. I'll finish with this. Don't try to overload yourself with gouge beforehand. One, it ruins the experience, and two, OCS is constantly changing, so if you think you have the lowdown, they can throw you for a serious loop. You're better off not knowing anything, than knowing something that was true 3 years ago.

DairyCreamer

100% agreed... it's too easy to make minute changes to "petty" rules to the point that the old way is 100% wrong. I'm a firm believer that the term "beating the system" doesn't work in OCS... at least for the first few weeks. :D

~Nate

PS - Nice website ya got there too :icon_tong

Thisguy said:
Fair enough. I'll finish with this. Don't try to overload yourself with gouge beforehand. One, it ruins the experience, and two, OCS is constantly changing, so if you think you have the lowdown, they can throw you for a serious loop. You're better off not knowing anything, than knowing something that was true 3 years ago.

Borncreole

Such a hot topic, I was just curious. I guess I will do one in over out and the other out over in, then I will only have to fix one. An it wont look ike im gouged up.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I basically made a mountain out of a molehill. Don't sweat it, OCS is a 13-week vacation from the real world. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.