• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Options for 30 year old (NAVY)

question123

Hi.

I have done some research and looked through the threads and it looks like the information on here and online sites are conflicting with what my OF told me.

I am wanting to commission and go to OCS. I am 30 years old turning 31 in June. I initially wanted to submit a packet for PAO but my OF advised since my degree doesn’t line up with PAO my chances of being selected were slim to none.

So my OF suggested Supply and SWO. Well today I get a call from my OF and she stated that I am too old to go active duty with any community. Is this right? Could she be mistaken or I hate to think this, could they be using that excuse as cop out to not help me process.

I need advice I am at a stand still. Would submitting a packet for reserves be the better route?

I’ve not taken the OAR. I haven’t received all my transcripts so I don’t have my weighted GPA as of yet.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi.

I have done some research and looked through the threads and it looks like the information on here and online sites are conflicting with what my OF told me.

I am wanting to commission and go to OCS. I am 30 years old turning 31 in June. I initially wanted to submit a packet for PAO but my OF advised since my degree doesn’t line up with PAO my chances of being selected were slim to none.

So my OF suggested Supply and SWO. Well today I get a call from my OF and she stated that I am too old to go active duty with any community. Is this right? Could she be mistaken or I hate to think this, could they be using that excuse as cop out to not help me process.

I need advice I am at a stand still. Would submitting a packet for reserves be the better route?

I’ve not taken the OAR. I haven’t received all my transcripts so I don’t have my weighted GPA as of yet.

1. You don't have to create multiple threads - one is enough.
  2. The older you get, the harder it is to get selected for officer programs. Not impossible, but you essentially are very limited with options.

Without knowing any other details your OR might be right in that there isn't anything available due to your GPA, major, and of course age.

Lastly, reserves requires at least 4-5 years of relevant civilian or military experience for the program you're applying for. For example, if you want to be a reserve supply officer you ideally need at least 4-5 years of logistics, finance, etc. experience.

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
I'll chime in quickly too - age is a major factor - but so is the needs of the services. Navy can be more selective because its small. The Army is huge by comparison and cannot meet recruiting goals. Obviously - if the Navy is where you want to be - you have to go Navy if you can. But if you are open to other branches, there are lots of other ways to become an officer and fewer restrictions.

exNavyOffRec

To piggy back on what has been said you need to provide more data such as GPA and degree.

what you have provided to ask for advice is like going to the doctor because you are sick, but when he ask what is wrong the only thing you say is "I don't feel well"

Don't make us fish for info when you are looking for advice.

question123

To piggy back on what has been said you need to provide more data such as GPA and degree.

what you have provided to ask for advice is like going to the doctor because you are sick, but when he ask what is wrong the only thing you say is "I don't feel well"

Don't make us fish for info when you are looking for advice.
Interesting. No one seems to know the basic answer. Yes GPA and the type of Degree plays a role when wanting to submit a packet to getting selected. But isn’t there a guideline to go off of. Soooo......

But I’ll try again (let me clear my throat). What is the AGE cut off to go active duty as a civilian wanting to commission. If the age requirements are different for all of the communities then please let me know.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Interesting. No one seems to know the basic answer. Yes GPA and the type of Degree plays a role when wanting to submit a packet to getting selected. But isn’t there a guideline to go off of. Soooo......

But I’ll try again (let me clear my throat). What is the AGE cut off to go active duty as a civilian wanting to commission. If the age requirements are different for all of the communities then please let me know.
42%

Edit: one of the most basic tenants of being a commissioned officer is the ability to take the intiative, research and explore every aspect of the program you have an interest in.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

They are different, and different communities look for different things so GPA and degree matter

FormerRecruitingGuru

That’ll depend on your degree and GPA. It’s that fucking simple.

Either help us help you or to quote @HAL Pilot ”f*** off”.

question123

That’ll depend on your degree and GPA. It’s that fucking simple.

Either help us help you or to quote @HAL Pilot ”f*** off”.
LMAO. Aren’t we sensitive?? At the end of the day there’s some sort of sheet that provides recruiters with a little guidance. MY AGE is my age I cannot change that. For example one community may say we can accept candidates between the age of 18-29 period, BUT a waiver may be provided. Another community may accept the ages 18-42 no waiver provided.
GPA and degree is another factor. Clearly you are in your feelings. If my question bothers you so much move on to the next thread.
LMAO I’ m rolling over here.

Bones

Everyone here is trying to help you. The age cutoffs vary, and the GPA cutoffs vary. It's easier to narrow down by degree/GPA and then filter by age restrictions.

Let's try a direct question.

What is your degree in, and what is your GPA?

That would determine which community and which program you would have a shot at applying to.

If you really want to be pro-active, (and you should) read the program authorizations yourself.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/Pages/Program-Authorizations.aspx

FormerRecruitingGuru

LMAO. Aren’t we sensitive?? At the end of the day there’s some sort of sheet that provides recruiters with a little guidance. MY AGE is my age I cannot change that. For example one community may say we can accept candidates between the age of 18-29 period, BUT a waiver may be provided. Another community may accept the ages 18-42 no waiver provided.
GPA and degree is another factor. Clearly you are in your feelings. If my question bothers you so much move on to the next thread.
LMAO I’ m rolling over here.

You got asked numerous times what’s your major and GPA? Because that alone will determine what you’re eligible for.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.