• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Optic Nerve Head Drusen

cgross

My son is a firstie at Camp USAFA and learned last week that his waiver for drusen, submitted his third degree year, was denied. At the time the wavier was submitted, he was lead to believe the condition was wave-able. In fact, he received his pilot slot last year. He’s satisfactorily passed all of the other AF required vision tests.

In the time since he was told, we’ve learned that the Air Force won’t grant a waiver for FC I/IA individuals with drusen. They do however for the other flight classes.

So…he’s currently considering what, if any options he may have to pursue his life-long dream to fly. One option is cross-commissioning, although it’s apparently not as easy as it once was. And that decision, from his perspective, would be based on the Navy’s position with respect to drusen. We’ve taken a look at the NAMI Medical Waiver Guide, but find no reference to it.

Does anyone know what the Navy’s position is? My son is checking through the channels available to him at the Academy. I told him I’d check with this august body.

Apologies if I sound like one of *those* dads. I’m just a man that wants to help his son.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I don't know what USNs postions is. I do know that there have been some inconsistencies between USAF physicals and USN physicals, particularly with respect to vision tests.

If I were in your position, I would call NAMI directly and ask them to provide a bit of guidance.

cgross

I had no idea we could contact NAMI directly. A little bit of research after reading your comments and I was able to dig up a directory of contacts that are proving helpful.

Thanks to you both - for the idea and the reassurance!

C