• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OPHOLD AND GOING BACK ON DHRB

elliottm2

Morning, All.

So Bottom Line: If it comes down to it, and I change my mind, and move to get out after already signing DHRB, is it possible? Does anyone know how this process would go?

Background: I'm supposed to transfer out of my command in less than a month, but the week before we deploy, someone with a critical ASW qualification got injured and won't be coming with us. As a result, now my command is basically going to OPHOLD me until they can get a new one. As of Now, that OPHOLD means that I may not be free from the command's clutches until possibly a month after class starts.

My next tour is at NPS as a student. However, in conversations with PERS, they are NOT guaranteeing that if I get OPHELD, that my NPS quota will still be available.

So, worst case scenario, I may lose my orders to NPS, get stuck with whatever is at the bottom of the barrel for shore duty, which would take me away from my family, i.e. Bahrain, and still be required to serve out through DH.

I don't WANT to leave, but the REASON I signed DHRB was because I got a quota at NPS. If it comes to pass that I all of a sudden am doing shore tour in Bahrain or Japan and don't get to see my family during those years, then I do not currently see a scenario where me and my family can support that. This is a worst of the worst case scenarios. I love what I do, but I do not love it more than I love my wife and Kids.

So..IF I were to need to rescind my DHRB, and return the $30-50K that I have been given as part of the bonus thus far, is anyone aware of the process as to how I would be able to do that? Is it even possible.

Standing by for heavy trolls and admonition.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Very Respectfully,

Moto

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you do get an overseas shore tour, would it be unaccompanied? If not, consider bringing your family along. Most people I know have enjoyed those scenarios with their families.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It is possible, I know of one dude that got out of his DHRB contract. He had to immediately pay back all of the money he had been paid. His scenario was different than yours but it is possible, just difficult.

elliottm2

If you do get an overseas shore tour, would it be unaccompanied? If not, consider bringing your family along. Most people I know have enjoyed those scenarios with their families.
Sir,

While I have lived overseas before, my wife has no desire to do a) Bahrain or B) Japan... If that comes up during DH tour so be it, but I will probably be geo-batching at that point. We have lived at both and she has no desire to go back to either one. Anything in Europe should be fine though.

Thanks for the response and advice.

V/R,

Moto

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
What is the cycle time on those NPS quotas- as in, when is the next class? Any chance of you getting the next one (six months, a year, whichever it is) with the help of your chain of command? Tell your captain that you are loyal to the command and want the ship to have a successful deployment but that NPS is a career goal that is very important to you (that old ship, shipmate, self thing) and that you are requesting help securing your spot at NPS. If your application that got you your current quota included a command endorsement then see if your command won't endorse an ISIC endorsement with the Commodore's signature. You might be surprised at what senior officers, who know the ins and outs of the system and go to bat for you, can accomplish.

Meantime you're stuck in your old billet, you've got all the quals from that tour, and you know your way around the ship probably better than the guy who injured himself (checked onboard in the last few months, I'm guessing). Use that advantage to help the guys in your division get their quals and advance. Anytime one of them has a victory, big or small, try to strategically slip that into conversation with your own chain of command. (Be sincere about it though, you know, don't be a douche.) Your guys might be surprised what an experienced JO, who knows the ins and outs of the system and goes to bat for them, can accomplish.

If you lose your spot at NPS and you've put in your best effort in good faith, then I wouldn't blame you one bit for paying back the bonus and getting out.

Last edited:

Bergers2short

None
Jim123's advice above seems like your best bet.

As a backup, have you looked into whether transferring to FTS would help at all? I'm not sure about all the details, but they might let you keep the DH bonus. Again, I don't know whether it'd get you out of shitty shore duty, but if doing research will make you feel better about the situation, I'd look into it.

elliottm2

Gentleman,

Just logged back in for the first time in a while.

In the end, I made it to NPS on time. took my CO stepping in against a few of the DH's.

So after a week on an oiler with no internet, I wound up in Japan and had to pay for my own ticket home, but we PCS'ed and all is well.

Thank you for previous support and advice. Hope all is well.

V/R,

Moto

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
G
Gentleman,

Just logged back in for the first time in a while.

In the end, I made it to NPS on time. took my CO stepping in against a few of the DH's.

So after a week on an oiler with no internet, I wound up in Japan and had to pay for my own ticket home, but we PCS'ed and all is well.

Thank you for previous support and advice. Hope all is well.

V/R,

Moto
Glad it worked out.