• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ODS AMA (Doc's, Nurses, JAGs, AMDOs, DCO's and others you'll be coming here!)

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Outside of ROM going away guidance is the same. You'll go straight to KH (King Hall) and sleep on a tiny hard bed. You'll push when you're bad and eat at Ney Hall. The free store is great, anything you place in the wall locker and lock up is your business ..

Any other specific questions ask away!

AU_Aviation

Do most people arrive to ODS the day before, just to ensure you arrive on-time?
Any benefit to getting uniform items before reporting? If so, what would be the best bet?
Any items not on the official list that one should plan to bring?

I've read as much as I can find by searching around, and reading everyone's comments over the years. I know there will always be some "unknowns", which is probably for the best, but would like to gain as much knowledge prior to reporting as I possibly can.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Do most people arrive to ODS the day before, just to ensure you arrive on-time?
Any benefit to getting uniform items before reporting? If so, what would be the best bet?
Any items not on the official list that one should plan to bring?

I've read as much as I can find by searching around, and reading everyone's comments over the years. I know there will always be some "unknowns", which is probably for the best, but would like to gain as much knowledge prior to reporting as I possibly can.

The majority of my class arrived the day before including myself (and another ensign from my unit - he browses AW in fact, yo man hope all is well! You owe me some whiskey!).

You can absolutely bring uniform items ahead of time, but if they are incorrect or not serviceable (as determined by staff) you'll have to purchase new items. If you're not prior Navy I wouldn't bother. I brought some Type 3's and PT gear, but only because I was already drilling and purchased it for that purpose.

If you're prior service (I was enlisted AF for example) you need to look up and bring authorized ribbons and medals (large ones not mini).

I'd have to look at the official list, but honestly everything you "need" is there. In fact the "free store" (which is a literal large storage room) is FILLED with items left behind by previous classes. This includes blankets, irons, soap, shampoo, fans, pillows, rulers, pencils, etc .. Also keep in mind anything extra you bring you need to store. I did enjoy having my own set of pens and a notepad (especially if you volunteer as student leadership). If you have any specific items in mind .. let me know and I'll happily weigh in.

Let me level with you, unknowns are good, you need to embrace it. You're going to walk into a lot of unknowns at your first unit, wardroom, billet, etc. If you want to get ahead .. learn Anchors Aweigh, Sailor's Creed, Navy and Marine Ranks (both enlisted and officer), 11 General Orders of the Sentry, and Code of Conduct verbatim. You'll be required to learn a handful of other things as well, but if you can lock that stuff up prior to arrival you'll be good to go.

Best of luck! You'll certainly meet a lot of new folks and make a lot of friends.

AU_Aviation

Thanks, this has been helpful.

I'm non-prior, so I don't have anything on-hand already. I didn't know if I'd be purchasing anything that might be of value if I start drill prior to ODS or not. Still don't have paperwork in yet, so lots of unknowns going on with this as well.

I'm looking forward to the experience and have been working at this for four years at this point. It's been a long time coming, but worth every minute since I finally got the call I had ben waiting for.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Thanks, this has been helpful.

I'm non-prior, so I don't have anything on-hand already. I didn't know if I'd be purchasing anything that might be of value if I start drill prior to ODS or not. Still don't have paperwork in yet, so lots of unknowns going on with this as well.

I'm looking forward to the experience and have been working at this for four years at this point. It's been a long time coming, but worth every minute since I finally got the call I had ben waiting for.

Were you selected recently or?

Its a bit of a process for sure. I boarded September 2019, PROREC-Y February 2020, commissioned August 2020, attended ODS February 2021.

and my timeline was QUICK compared to others.

I finished my NOBC February 2022 and started my first "real" billet as an OIC of a sizable department (I may end up being N6 for the command due to some issues) as an Ensign. If you're ready to jump in feet first, plenty of opportunities exist. The USNR is a firehose in terms of opportunities.

PeedeeMar

No date yet. Still don't have COMMDOCS in, so I'll probably be waiting for a while.
Ah. My board met in November, PROREC-Y date was February. Detailer contacted me early March to ask when I'd like to go to ODS and I had orders in hand maybe 4 weeks later and commissioned. Hope you hear soon!

Also, regarding arriving the day before- your recruiter will book your travel. About 100% chance they will fly you the day before. My orders say to report NLT 1100 12 June so not really a chance to fly in that day.

number9

Contributor
Finished ODS this week, happy to answer any questions or give updates on what to expect.
Congrats!
  1. Was your class full?
  2. After a week or two, were you allowed to leave base during the day on weekends?
  3. Anything you didn't bring but wish you did - e.g. ninja star for uniforms?

LawDawg740

Congrats!
  1. Was your class full?
  2. After a week or two, were you allowed to leave base during the day on weekends?
  3. Anything you didn't bring but wish you did - e.g. ninja star for uniforms?
My class was not full, which was fantastic. Made things much easier and more comfortable. From what I've heard, that is a seasonal dependent.

During the day, never. Liberty policy is dependent on each class team and a few other factors out of student control, but we were able to leave the base on the weekends of Weeks 3 and 4. After Week 1 we were able to go to the NEX and Uniform Store through the week as needed.

Anything you really need, you'll be able to get really easily on base. Just one less thing you'll have to travel there with. Bring an extension cord, the NEX has some, but they ran out pretty quickly. You'll want it for a fan/phone charger in the evenings.

number9

Contributor
My class was not full, which was fantastic. Made things much easier and more comfortable. From what I've heard, that is a seasonal dependent.

During the day, never. Liberty policy is dependent on each class team and a few other factors out of student control, but we were able to leave the base on the weekends of Weeks 3 and 4. After Week 1 we were able to go to the NEX and Uniform Store through the week as needed.

Anything you really need, you'll be able to get really easily on base. Just one less thing you'll have to travel there with. Bring an extension cord, the NEX has some, but they ran out pretty quickly. You'll want it for a fan/phone charger in the evenings.
Thanks for the detailed reply! In terms of going off-base I was specifically referring to weekend days; I figured you can't leave any other time. (My wife and I have a 5mo baby at home so she would come down to Newport for an afternoon if/when we're allowed liberty.)

Last question I think: what was PT and/or the PRT like?