• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October 2003 OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Does anyone know when the selection boards normally meet for October OCS classes? Also, does anyone have any rumors or educated guesses as to how many air slots are going to be available for the October 2003 class?

topher1235

That is the class I am applying for also, and I asked if I don't get an air contract what is the possiblity for being considered for a ground contract? My OSO said that they are not accepting any ground contracts for this next year (atleast for the October OCC). But things could change.

esday1

What I heard from my OSO was that they were not considering any more ground contract applications from grads or seniors, period. They may even be full for juniors (that is, no more 10-week PLC candidates for next summer either) and the only ground contracts they're considering are sophomore PLC candidates who would be getting commissioned in 2005. I'm applying for an air contract (although I haven't decided whether to go for pilot or NFO yet), so it sounds like we're in the same boat. The other thing my OSO told me was that they're not even looking at the October 2003 OCC class yet, so he couldn't tell me whether there would even be slots available (ground or air), or start my application before next year. I think the reasoning with the application was that since the board wouldn't even be meeting to consider 10/03 applications until next spring at the earliest, there was no point in putting together an application package now while there are still people trying to get applications in for the winter and summer classes. Let me know if this sounds like what you heard. I'm still not sure when the boards for October OCC meet- my guess would be in mid-summer, or possibly late spring.

jet_ifr

I talked to my OSO today and he said that his district command called him and asked him to submit his two most qualified ground contract candidates for the next review board (reviewing for OCC 182). He did say that 'technically' ground spots are closed to new accessions, but he has a handfull of ground candidates that have been waiting for a long time for OCC/OCS. He said that this isn't the first time that he's been given the go ahead to submit ground applications when supposedly the board wasn't reviewing them. Basically if you are an outstanding candidate the board will at least give you a look.

I fly. Me pilot?

topher1235

esday

Yeah my OSO and I are taking it pretty slowly. I've taken and passed the ASTB 6/6 Pilot, 6/7 NFO, I couldn't find my SAT scores(and I didn't want to pay for them to be sent) so I'll be taking the ASVAB instead first week in December. I will be taking my physical after the first of the year, submitted my rough application. I'm not worried about the PFT b/c I maxed a practice one I gave myself last friday. Other than that I have heard about the same as you. Are you not decided pilot/NFO b/c of your eyes? Good luck man!

esday1

My eyes are actually pretty good. I'd be pretty happy going either pilot or NFO, I'm just not completely sure at this point. For a while I thought I'd just want to be a pilot if I went in on an air contract, but then I found out a little bit more about what NFOs do (especially that Bowden article in the Atlantic Monthly) and I realized that being an NFO would be pretty damn cool too. I don't really want to go for the June OCC since that would cut short my school year and graduation, so I'm waiting to apply for October. I've got all the ASTB prep stuff and it looks like I should do pretty well based on the practice test I gave myself, but I still have to just wait for a little while. I think I'm going to try to contact my OSO after New Years, and try and get my application moving once he has all the OCC-182 guys processed and on their way. Have you tried talking to your college registrar or admissions office about your SAT scores? They might have them on file somewhere and be able to get them easily. Anyway, good luck and semper fi.
Evan

topher1235

Yeah my dad was an NFO in the Marine Corps and I asked him, if he were in my position what he would do(i'm 20/25 but I meet the refractive requirements). He said that if he were me he'd chose the pilot contract because that's what he when he was in my postion. Having said that he loved his time as an NFO also. If my eyes worsen before I get the NOMI physical before API then I'm absolutely going to take the NFO slot, but if not I don't see why I wouldn't take the Pilot slot. I mean even as a pilot you have the possibility of selecting an aircraft in which you'd fly with NFOs. which I would like to do.

I am in the same position you are as far as graduation(quarter system). I'm speaking with the admission and records office at my school, seeing if they'll let me finish a few weeks ahead of schedule so that I can attend the June class, but I'm not thinking that it will fly. Outside of that, I'd say contact your OSO as soon as possible. This way they get to know you and understand your motivation, he/she is a good person to have on your side. Outside of that you won't be in a rush to finish your packet. I contacted mine back in July. On my practice stuff for the ASTB, I was scoring in the 80% the M/V and MC, and 90%+ in the saptial, and aviation/nautical portion. I pretty much put it off untl I was ready. Your OSO should give you some extra prep material also when you contact him. I used both and felt that it was beneficail.

Topher

klostman

the happy dance!
I have heard the same stuff as well. Ground slots full and even for sophmore PLC, its looking pretty tight. My OSO wanted me to make the November board, but now that my ATSB and PFT are better, were going for December board. If only I had done this a year ago.[V] But wait, thats when they still scored the BIO part of the ATSB. Maybe it was better that I applied this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.