• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bully

Fellows,
Anyone know how often OCS classes start? I'm taking the Officer selection battery and ASTB on August 10th. Anyone have any idea about how long the wait is from taking(and passing) the test to finding out if you got what you want and then to starting OCS? Also, what kind of letters of recomendation are good...Military Officers, Academic, other?
P.S. On another subject, Anybody have any tips on improving my running(times and distances). Can you suggest any running plan for the person pretty new to running?
Which reminds me, what's the frequency and distance usually run at OCS?
-Bully

Dave Shutter

I can't tell you anything factual about OCS, as I myself am not yet accepted either, but a Airwarriors poster named Zac has, and we've exchanged e-mails about OCS. He says that you PT everyday except Thurs. and Sun. Running avg'd 2.5 to three miles a day on top of other PT including swimming. I've also been told that this all depends on your individual DI, and you may run as much as 5 miles a day. This is just what I've heard though.

The OCS website says that classes start every other week and sometimes everyweek. When you get accepted you can go into the next available class slot, but this may be a few weeks or months away. One of the processors at my local recruiting station says that OCS is booked up for the rest of the FY and if you got accepted in the next couple of months the soonest you could go would be in Oct.

As far how long from passing the test to going to class is concerned, I don't know what your recruiter's telling you, but you should know that passing the test is the first and probably most basic step in getting to OCS. Your whole application packet will not only consist of ASTB test grades, (which are sent to Pensacola for validating before official, which takes a while) but numerous items includin: three written recomendations, your physical, (at which time you have to meet Navy height:weight standards) of course, you take a flight physical if your going for pilot, your 4-page officer application, EPSQ background security check, (also requires official validation before legit.) 200-word motivational letter, a Navy PRT test, your college transcripts, the written results of two officer interviews, your DD214, and prior service records (if applic.) a formal resume is optional, but I'm told recommended.

Think this is all a lot? I met with a AF recruiter just for kicks, and they want twice as much sh*t!

All this gets bundled together and shipped to Pensacola where a selection board looks it over and decides. I have no idea how long it takes before you get an answer. If you get accepeted for pilot/NFO they fly you down to Pensacola for a full-blown, official flight physical performed by real flight surgeons and not the old retired Army Doc's that work at MEPS. I've heard the little stay at Pensacola before you sign called both the ACES and NAPE exam: anyone???

If you pass ACES, then they give you a nice little tour, and I hear, a ride in a T-34. A little motivator to make sure you actually sign and come back to the lovely little town by the gulf for that paid thirteen week vacation and that free haircut.

Good luck Bully! Wish me luck too, I test in Philly on Jul. 20, a week later I take my physical at NAS/JRB Willow Grove to find out if my knee will pass or fail me.

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 23 June 2000

Mcaf

The official Seal page has a good beginning running program at www.sealchallenge.navy.mil/WARN10.htm#run1. I have used this program and works great. If you follow it rather srictly, when you get to OCS those 3-5 mile runs will be a joke. Also, take a look at the other Phase one regimens such as strength training and swimming. Don't be scared off because it's on the Bud/s site; it is designed for people who don't run very often. From personal experience, take heed on the advice to not run on the third week. About a year ago I came out of a PT slump full force and ended up stress fracturing my leg 4 weeks later. I was an athlete all of my life and figured I could pick up where I left off but life just doesn't work that way. Just thought this personal experience might help you. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.