• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS to Pilot Slot

bgrams429

Hey all - I'd like to start by expressing how badass I think this site is. I discovered it just a few days ago after deciding that I will be entering the USMC OCS program following my graduation at the end of the upcoming semester, which I will now elaborate on.

To give a little background: I am currently an undergraduate economics student at a private university in Texas with a GPA of ~3.0. I have above-average standardized test scores, have work experience in various fields, and have held leadership positions on campus. I have always wanted to go Marines, and was 1 or 2 signatures away after high school, but decided that a college education (where NROTC was unfortunately not available) was more important at the time. I now have an escalated interest in enrolling in 2014 OCS with the intent to go through flight school after TBS in order to compete for an F18 pilot slot (which I hear are now being replaced by VSTOL F35's...?).

My question is: given my background and goals, is the best path for me to take to accomplish this? I have heard mixed things about AF, and I like the idea of being an Marine infantryman in addition to a pilot... so there's that... Also, given the ever-changing demand of Marine jet pilots, how competitive is the current field? Any information on my projected path, including ASTB prep info etc etc, would be much appreciated. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to give info relevant to this process, and hopefully one day I will see yall up there.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Very competitive, I've seen several SMA's that roll through Primary well above the minimum NSS for jets go Rotary...and that means they already did all the other BS successfully (that you can read about here)...but you will never know if you never try...
Pickle

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
If you are asking about which service to enter, ABSOLUTELY Navy or Marines. The Navy/ Marine aviators I work with every day are TONS happier than the USAF guys we frequently run into in our travels. I think the service traditions and mindset is better for Navy/Marines- that was my take on things while deciding on service selection in college, and it's held true for me.

Look at it this way, the Navy/Marines tells you what you aren't allowed to do, and everything else is OK to get the job done (reasonable man theory, of course...) The USAF tells you what you CAN/WILL/ARE GOING to do, and NOTHING else is acceptable.

And finally, someone else said this, so I can't take credit, but to paraphrase a bit: "Your Mother would want you to become an air force pilot. The hottest girl at the bar wants to go home with the Naval Aviator." Sometimes the Marines even get lucky.

As to the rest, take things one step at a time, and keep a competitive edge with your grades/extra curriculars/physical fitness. Good luck!

bgrams429

Thanks for your input, gentlemen. I guess I have a solid info base for what I need to know going into the program, but I would be extremely grateful for any additional firsthand tips or what-have-you to increase my chances for success in this field. More of the intangible aspects for me to remember going into the program coming from someone who has already experienced it (if that makes sense). Once again your help is much appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

A tip for you, one of the things the USMC looks at hard is the PFT score, so do what you can to max that out, if you really want to fly look at the USN as well, I put a few that were looking at USMC into the USN, some just couldn't max out the PFT (or get close enough to it), or when they went to apply they were told there were no aviation spots.

Renegade One

None
Hey all - I'd like to start by expressing how badass I think this site is. I discovered it just a few days ago after deciding that I will be entering the USMC OCS program following my graduation at the end of the upcoming semester, which I will now elaborate on...
Um…not clear from your post, but have you "just decided to do this" or have you "been selected" for Marine OCS? The two are very different things WRT "the timelines"…but if you're just truly starting to "think about doing it" in the last semester of college, two things:
1. Plan on probably having to "do something else" while the process plays out…for maybe a year? In other words, don't expect/rely on the system to do it all in a couple of months. Many wickets to go through…and lots of folks well ahead of you in the process who are awaiting selection. There are other forums and threads on this site that will shed a lot of light.
2. Work the hurdles as early as you can…talking to a service recruiters; taking the required test batteries; perhaps getting LORs from folks who can speak highly of you and your motivation…yadda yadda yadda.
3. NavyOffRec's comment about physical prep is, as always, "spot on".

If I misread your OP and you've already been given/assured an OCS slot…well, best of luck and Semper Fi!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Head over to MarineOCS.com and check out that forum. You'll see how competitive the selection process is and where you stand over there.

bgrams429

Um…not clear from your post, but have you "just decided to do this" or have you "been selected" for Marine OCS? The two are very different things WRT "the timelines"…but if you're just truly starting to "think about doing it" in the last semester of college, two things:
1. Plan on probably having to "do something else" while the process plays out…for maybe a year? In other words, don't expect/rely on the system to do it all in a couple of months. Many wickets to go through…and lots of folks well ahead of you in the process who are awaiting selection. There are other forums and threads on this site that will shed a lot of light.
2. Work the hurdles as early as you can…talking to a service recruiters; taking the required test batteries; perhaps getting LORs from folks who can speak highly of you and your motivation…yadda yadda yadda.
3. NavyOffRec's comment about physical prep is, as always, "spot on".

If I misread your OP and you've already been given/assured an OCS slot…well, best of luck and Semper Fi!

I appreciate the insight. This is a decision that I have just recently made, and I will be contacting an OSO when the office opens tomorrow. Ideally I would want to go through with it asap and do OCS in June, but I understand the process and I very well may train for an additional few months to shoot for Oct. '14 or Jan. '15. Ultimately, this is a definite decision but I just want to get my timing right based on how high I can get my scores and the availability of contracts. Thanks again, hope this provides some clarification.

bgrams429

So I met with my OSO this afternoon to do some timeframe planning. I'll be shooting for PFT/ASTB and whatnot in the next few weeks to submit a package for the May selection board and September/October OCS. Per our discussion, I left with the understanding that ground contracts are actually far more competitive than air. This leaves me with the following concerns:
  • I have an arrest record (PI. On the 4th of July. And I was 21. Who the fuck does that?). It will be expunged in Feb. but I don't know if it will show up on a background check or not. I will still be declaring it on my rough app.
  • My grades are mediocre (currently 2.93; I was anticipating bringing them up to 3.0 this semester but there is a lot of uncertainty ATM), and I have 4 classes on my transcripts from which I have withdrawn, putting me as a part-time student at various points in my college career. But I am still graduating on time.
  • With final exams approaching I don't know how much I will be able to study for the ASTB
I am confident in my other variables which will be presented to the board, but how much will these factors (minus the ASTB, I anticipate studying my ass off for that) affect me in the selection process? I am concerned that, worst case scenario, if I am not selected for an OCS air contract then it will be tougher, and less viable for me to compete for ground. Is the comparative competition accurate? I just don't want to be sitting at home with no career plan and my dick in my hand come September. Any and all input is much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

exNavyOffRec

• I have an arrest record (PI. On the 4th of July. And I was 21. Who the fuck does that?). It will be expunged in Feb. but I don't know if it will show up on a background check or not. I will still be declaring it on my rough app.
It will show up, you are doing the right thing declaring it.

bgrams429

But how much would it affect me in the selection process? Disregarding a case in which I wouldn't declare it

exNavyOffRec

But how much would it affect me in the selection process? Disregarding a case in which I wouldn't declare it

On the USMC side I don't know, if it was USN I would say a lot would depend on your statement and how you convey what happened and how you have learned from it.

TheBird

Hey all - I'd like to start by expressing how badass I think this site is. I discovered it just a few days ago after deciding that I will be entering the USMC OCS program following my graduation at the end of the upcoming semester, which I will now elaborate on.

To give a little background: I am currently an undergraduate economics student at a private university in Texas with a GPA of ~3.0. I have above-average standardized test scores, have work experience in various fields, and have held leadership positions on campus. I have always wanted to go Marines, and was 1 or 2 signatures away after high school, but decided that a college education (where NROTC was unfortunately not available) was more important at the time. I now have an escalated interest in enrolling in 2014 OCS with the intent to go through flight school after TBS in order to compete for an F18 pilot slot (which I hear are now being replaced by VSTOL F35's...?).

My question is: given my background and goals, is the best path for me to take to accomplish this? I have heard mixed things about AF, and I like the idea of being an Marine infantryman in addition to a pilot... so there's that... Also, given the ever-changing demand of Marine jet pilots, how competitive is the current field? Any information on my projected path, including ASTB prep info etc etc, would be much appreciated. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to give info relevant to this process, and hopefully one day I will see yall up there.

If you worry about "how competitive" the field is, you will drive yourself crazy. Don't worry about how competitive it is to get selected, just worry about how competitive you make yourself. Everything else is out of your control.

Secondly, if you just want to fly, don't go through the Marine Corps. If you are interested in the Marine Corps, you should want to be an Officer of Marines first, aviator second.

cb812

SNA
Does anyone know the age cutoff for an air contract with the Marines? I know with the Navy, you have to finish OCS before you turn 27.....?