• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS OCS SWO Acceptance Inquiry

FTFF

Howdy, I applied to SWO last August and got a ProRec-N, but it’s something I really want to pursue and have been attempting to improve myself before resubmitting this August. My GPA at the end of my undergraduate career was a 2.49 in economics which I realize is abysmal. I had a 55 on the OAR, and 3 letters of recommendation. I applied for and was accepted to a Master’s in econometrics at my alma mater (Texas A&M) and finished my first semester of grad school this spring with a 4.0. Still have the 55 OAR and got 2 interviews/appraisals with members of the SWO community that went well and more recent letters of recommendation. Is that enough improvement for a better shot? Is there anything else I could do that could benefit myself before submitting (such as another appraisal or potentially retaking the OAR)? Honest answers would be greatly appreciated.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Howdy, I applied to SWO last August and got a ProRec-N, but it’s something I really want to pursue and have been attempting to improve myself before resubmitting this August. My GPA at the end of my undergraduate career was a 2.49 in economics which I realize is abysmal. I had a 55 on the OAR, and 3 letters of recommendation. I applied for and was accepted to a Master’s in econometrics at my alma mater (Texas A&M) and finished my first semester of grad school this spring with a 4.0. Still have the 55 OAR and got 2 interviews/appraisals with members of the SWO community that went well and more recent letters of recommendation. Is that enough improvement for a better shot? Is there anything else I could do that could benefit myself before submitting (such as another appraisal or potentially retaking the OAR)? Honest answers would be greatly appreciated.

You were not even eligible to apply last year based on the program authorization

Check out the SWO board threads out here that will help you see where you stack.

Of course if you have specific questions ask your recruiter

FTFF

I did get a waiver for my GPA that got me to the board last year, but I have read on other threads that that means little. That waiver will still be attached to my submission package this time around as my adjusted GPA is now a 2.64; I don’t know if a more favorable incomplete graduate GPA would have any weight or bearing with the board in light of how catastrophic my undergraduate GPA is, or if additional appraisals or other elements might help. My recruiter said 2 is plenty but I want to appear as competitive as possible given my situation.

exNavyOffRec

The best thing you can do is finish your Masters then submit, additional LOR's won't help you be more competitive, unfortunately that GPA will be noticed but not in the way you want it to be.

devodians

I just put in a packet to the August SWO board. My Masters GPA is 3.4, but Undergrad is only a 2.67. I thought I was going to need a waiver as well, but my OR confirmed that my Masters GPA supersedes my Undergrad GPA, so I didn't need one. I still did need an age waiver though.

Another Officer in that recruiting office sat in on a SWO board last year, and she told me they used a points system to determine who to Pro-Rec. GPA she said was worth a maximum of 15 points (out a 100), and there was another category for general intelligence (can't remember how much).

Definitely finish your Masters, not just to boost your GPA, but also to prove that you've become smarter since your undergrad days. I would definitely address this as well in your motivational statement.

exNavyOffRec

I just put in a packet to the August SWO board. My Masters GPA is 3.4, but Undergrad is only a 2.67. I thought I was going to need a waiver as well, but my OR confirmed that my Masters GPA supersedes my Undergrad GPA, so I didn't need one. I still did need an age waiver though.

Another Officer in that recruiting office sat in on a SWO board last year, and she told me they used a points system to determine who to Pro-Rec. GPA she said was worth a maximum of 15 points (out a 100), and there was another category for general intelligence (can't remember how much).

Definitely finish your Masters, not just to boost your GPA, but also to prove that you've become smarter since your undergrad days. I would definitely address this as well in your motivational statement.
Yep your Masters will supercede your UG GPA to allow you to apply, but they will still get averaged on the calculation sheet. The important thing is you will have a chance.

It is rare to have an officer at an NRD to have sat a board, very rare. I have heard them using the point system before, but that isn't always the case with each board as there have been issues with it in the past.