• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS in Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JF

Anyone been through an OCS winter class? Any tips on dealing with the cold? Are you allowed to bring civilian undergraments like "under armour" or the lycra stuff that keeps you warm and wicks away sweat? Also there are a bunch of vaccines out there like the "flu shot" and "pneumonia shot". Do they give them out at Quantico or should you get it done before you leave? Any thoughts apreciated.

tflexxin

You'll get a whole battery of shots in processing. The weather in Quantico is not that cold during winter, 40's. I'm from the midwest, so 40's in december and january is almost tropical. They will issue you the gear you need to stay warm. I personally would rather be at TBS during the winter, cooler for all those field exercises. I would not worry about the weather. An you will not be allowed to bring personal items of clothing, other than underwear and the like to OCS.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Like flex said, stand by for shots. I'm about to hit the winter TBS class next week, and I would much rather deal with cold rather than black flag conditions. I'll keep ya'll posted.

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

Tahoe

Don't worry about the cold in Pensacola in the winter, it will be cool in the morning and if it's too cold you'll do things in the P-Ways instead of going out.....just grin and get through it...you'll be done before ya know!!

topher1235

I would think that you'd be given everything that you need to succeed. Not necessarily everything you want. The role of OCS is to screen officer candidates for the qualities needed to lead Marines. If one is preoccupied with how cold they are going to be, the lessons in training will be lost. Obviously my opinion doesn't mean much since I am not yet a marine. But to me it seems that if one is worried about the small things (being to cold or to hot), the big picture of accomplishing the mission or task at hand is compromised.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
They want to see what kind of person and leader you are "under duress." Expect a certain amount of discomfort/pain. But, they're not going to try and kill you or anything. Winter or summer, everyone that goes through is going to suffer in one way or another (numb hands and feet or blistering heat). If the conditions are too severe, they'll alter the training schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.